***** Qm2 July 3/2006

GRIFFITH1

. Mia right now is at the 2006 World-Scholar Athlete Games and has been going non stop with activites and lectures from Bill O'Rielly, President Bill Clinton, Bode Miller and tonight Sen. George Mitchell.Malinda

Don't forget our ex-con, ex-(Connecticut) governor, John Rowland! His first paying job since release from jail and home confinement!

Tabascored wrote:

I saw Jimmy many years ago (when they were still serving drinks) at Jones Beach. He had his boat docked behind the stage. Nice.

I've been to Stephen Talkhouse a couple of times. I avoid the East End during the summer months, though, it is a mad house.

Sue

Saw him the year he booked a gig on his and Jane's anniversary and boy was she p!$$ed! He did fireworks for the entire intermission-(and disappeared back stage) Must've cost pretty penny!

Unfortunately, we were in the back of the lower section Couldn't see much over the speakers!

Yeah, those rich folks out in the Hamtptons. Just too, too!

We will be staying at the <G> Hampton Inn in Islandia- Come across on the ferry, then head to the LIE, and hotel, then on to Jones Beach for Tailgating. Our friends who are leaving for St Thomas after the concert live in Stony Brook. We were thinking of staying extra and going over to Brooklyn for the long way home- But since the QM2 won't be in til Monday, and we both hae to work Monday.... :-( Why wasn't I born rich instead of just brilliant and beautiful?

Karie,

who just figured out your screen name isn't TABA- SCORED, but TABASCO- RED! <GGG>

I know that there will be responses that I should take this in stride, but Cunard needs to get its act together!

Elsewhere on this thread, someone stated that their TA received a FAX stating the the Independence Day cruise would have one formal, one informal, and three casual. Great! Finally an answer. People could plan. Then yesterday -- YESTERDAY -- a Cunard rep. called me out of the blue to say that there has been some confusion as to dress, and it would be as follows: one formal, TWO informal, and TWO casual. OK, things can change.

THEN TODAY I received a letter in the mail -- the Saturday before we sailed, and if it had not arrived today I would not have gotten it -- to state in writing that there would be ......... one formal, one informal, and three casual, as someone's TA had told them. (The letter also stated that the Red, White, & Blue Ball would be INFORMAL.)

Look, I have sailed Cunard before, as well as other lines, and there is a point when it becomes rediculous. I plan to have a great time on this cruise, but have had nothing but anxiety over what should have been a minor thought that Cunard had planned months ago! I have sailed Cunard before, and have seen people turned away from the dining room because they were not properly attired. (You may not have seen that, but I saw that on several occasions on the QE2 and on the Caronia). (Not to mention the emails and calls begging me to give up my cabin [as I mentioned before]).

I know we will all have fun on this cruise, and I look forward to meeting all of you. But if this is what Cunard has come to, I really need to rethink my reasoning for choosing this line for travel.

I had to call Cunard today to ask a few last minute questions. One of which was were they planning anything special for Cmd Warwick. The rep told me he had left the ship??

Does anyone know anything about this??

Malinda

Hey Robert,

I can understand your frustrations with Cunard. Their reservations staff can be very disorganized and idiotic at times, but, trust me once you board the QM2 on Monday you will be transported to a state of bliss.

My experience is that Cunard at land and at sea are two entirely different animals. On Monday your foot will cross the threshold from the gangway to the Grand Lobby of the QM2 and all your frustrations will float away.

Have a good trip to Brooklyn and I will see you at the Commodore Club.

Jonathan

Hi All,

Just A Question:

I thought I read somewhere about the electric onboard.

Do you need any international adaptors on board the QM2?

Or, Are they all US friendly to US electrical products.

Was not sure, but noted it somewhere once in a thread that I read once.

Don't want to cause a Global Blackout on the ship.(just kidding)

Thank you,

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hi Eslo,

You don't need an international adapter - the electrical outlets take both US and International plug ins.

Maria

By the way - I heard a lot of ships horns last evening and this morning. Any idea what ships were in port?

Please inform me where you are located and I can tell you what ships. I have a schedule for them in the harbor.

ESLO

I am located just off Shore Road in Bay Ridge, but my view of the ships is blocked by the trees, which are in full foliage right now. Can only see little bits of any ship unless I take the foot bridge over the Belt Parkway to the sea wall.

Maria

Hello Mariaemp675,

This morning was:

Carnival Victory 8AM From Halifax Today 5PM St John, NB

Norwegian Dawn 10AM Nassau Today 4PM Port Canaveal

Zenith (Bayonne) 8AM St George Today 430PM Hamilton

We are alongside Fort Hamilton Army Base with beautiful views of the ship and the bridge.

You can go to for ship schedule from NY Harbor:

http://www.worldshipny.com

http://www.nycruiseinfo.com

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Hi All,

As stated this afternoon and brought to the top of the Cunard Board,

there is a Cruise Critics Logbook located in the QM2 Library. Supposed to be located in the Librarian Desk. It was placed and started on the Maiden Voyage.

Many CC's are encouraged not to forget to sign it on their voyages onboard.

IT SHOULD BE MENTIONED AND THE WORD PASSED AROUND AT THE MEET AT THE COMMODORE CLUB. There are times that it is forgotten and they want to keep the alive.

Let's Show That The Independence Sampler Cruise - 7/3 - helped to give this book a transfusion of life if possible.

More information about this book is on the below thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=61437&page=3

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

...But if this is what Cunard has come to, I really need to rethink my reasoning for choosing this line for travel.

Ten years ago we had a really bad cruise on Carnival. It was a terrible ship (shabby and dirty), with terrible food and worse service. I swore to myself I would never set foot on a Carnival ship again. But I have been hearing much better things about Carnival in recent years, especially their newer ships, and have not heard the typical Carnival complaints about Cunard since the acquisition.

Nevertheless, I must confess that since I booked this QM2 cruise I have had a recurring nightmare that the QM2 is nothing more than a "fun ship" dressed in a tuxedo. This confusion about the formal/informal nights and boarding times with conflicting information from Cunard reinforces my fear and really scares me.:eek:

You Cunard veterans...please reassure me that my fears are unfounded.

I had to call Cunard today to ask a few last minute questions. One of which was were they planning anything special for Cmd Warwick. The rep told me he had left the ship??

Does anyone know anything about this??

Malinda

Malinda -

I have been reading a blog which can be accessed from the Cruise Critic home page from a woman who is currently on the ship. She mentioned meeting the Captain and it was not Warwick. I guess he must have taken early retirement.

Ten years ago we had a really bad cruise on Carnival. It was a terrible ship (shabby and dirty), with terrible food and worse service. I swore to myself I would never set foot on a Carnival ship again. But I have been hearing much better things about Carnival in recent years, especially their newer ships, and have not heard the typical Carnival complaints about Cunard since the acquisition.

Nevertheless, I must confess that since I booked this QM2 cruise I have had a recurring nightmare that the QM2 is nothing more than a "fun ship" dressed in a tuxedo. This confusion about the formal/informal nights and boarding times with conflicting information from Cunard reinforces my fear and really scares me.:eek:

You Cunard veterans...please reassure me that my fears are unfounded.

Dear sab490 (Steve),

I am also concerned about the reflection that this trip is going to have on me afterwards. I very much HOPE that it is not a glorified, extended type of NoWhere Cruise that I have heard about. 4-5 days to get away, drink, gamble and sun even though we are landing several times. I also have fear and concern about Mega Ships. This being one of Thee Mega Mega Ships afloat.

And I keep hearing the word Carnival........ We enjoyed the QE2 for decades and saw the changes when it changed hands so so many times. Then the last 2 cruises were disappointing and under Carnival's reign. Staff, quality and extras. We had pride in sailing the QE2 but knew it was time to try a change, Holland America. Also she was reassigned to Europe and no Cunards in sight. So we did and loved the return to HAL - Rotterdam 2x's. Later this year trying the new Noordam and looking forward to it. Different companies and different styles and different type of people attracted.

I am keeping a open mind but will steer away any problems and reevaluate the future. This is a sampler cruise and that is what we are doing. This is a trial for the future. We are also looking forwarding to the Qx Victoria which is supposed to be like the QE2 but awaiting to see if she will be assigned to the NYC schedule.

Our trip on the Mary is for my father, Stanley. He sailed as a soldier on the Orginal Mary as a troop ship across the Atlantic. He would like to see her even though it's not the same but some type of connection. I know that there is even a gathering of those troops each voyage for those who sailed during those perilous times.

So, don't be alone in your thoughts. We are looking for signs that will want us to return or just say "Sorry, No Thank You."

See you tomorrow. With my parents with us, not sure how soon we would venture up to the Club. There is so much to see and do and not sure whatelse is going on at that time. Hope the group stays together for some extended period of time. I know we are not landing at Boston till 12Noon but breakfast and sailing in the harbor awaits.

Safe Travel To All & GodSpeed...................

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Ed -

Glad to know my concerns are shared. I also share your outlook. This is an experiment for us (both ship and itinerary), and we plan to make the best of it. As you can see, we have been partial to RCI/Celebrity. We love the Voyager, Radiance, and Millenium class ships.

When are you going on the Noordam? Just yesterday I was looking at the 10 day itinerary for a cruise in December. We have never been on HAL and I will be interested to hear what you have to say about them.

We look forward to seeing you and everyone tomorrow.

Ed -

Glad to know my concerns are shared. I also share your outlook. This is an experiment for us (both ship and itinerary), and we plan to make the best of it. As you can see, we have been partial to RCI/Celebrity. We love the Voyager, Radiance, and Millenium class ships.

When are you going on the Noordam? Just yesterday I was looking at the 10 day itinerary for a cruise in December. We have never been on HAL and I will be interested to hear what you have to say about them.

We look forward to seeing you and everyone tomorrow.

Dear Steve,

As I have said in the past, we have taken this trip twice with QE2 and once on Caronia. Some we know the stops and tours and familiar with the areas abit. The ship - first time.

We unfortuately have mixed a opinions about RCI and their mega ships but open minded about Celebrity. We have had people on Celebrity and like their opinions. Also interested in the new Crown Princess from the same pier tomorrow. Princess has a good background. Sorry for be closed minded in some ways.

Our second cruise for the first time in one year is the Noordam 11day Eastern Carib cruise. The stops are listed below:

Day Port

Day 0-New York, New York, Day 1-At Sea, Day 2-At Sea, Day 3-Tortola, B.V.I., Day 4- St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., Day 5-Dominica, Day 6-Barbados, Day 7-St. Maarten, Day 8-San Juan, Puerto Rico, Day 9-At Sea, Day 10-At Sea and Day 11-New York, New York.

We very much like HAL and different type of company and passenger style. First time for this new style ship called Vista Class. A class they use for their ship styles. We are very very much pleased with our past experiences and reattracted. The Noordam is now assigned to NYC as homeport for spring & fall, Europe in the summer. They have out of NYC, 10 & 11 days Eastern & Western Carib.

Hope the Club is not to crowded tomorrow and everyone will miss each other in some way or another. I could wear a Pink Hat with a Large Daisy but it's not Cunard's Style. We'll do our best to meet up. I don't know what Cruiseking has planned.

Till then...............

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Just a last-minute "see you tomorrow..." at the club. And thanks again for the kind welcome.

To answer a prior question - I currently have no plans to be on the Labor Day cruise. These lectures are the only ones schedule for Cunard through the end of the year.

To all who might need info about Boston - I'm from NH, and know Beantown pretty well. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Don MacPherson

You mention in your posts that this trip is for your Father who sailed on the original Mary during WWII. Look in your Daily Programmes for the announcement for "The Queen Mary Reunion - Guests who sailed on the Queen Mary 1936-67". I have been to the meetings on two sailings and found them fascinating. There are usually solders among the group who attend. The gathering is usually hosted by the social hostess so you might check with her after boarding so that you don't miss this event. It is kind of easy to overlook in the Daily Programme. I hope you and especially your Father have a wonderful cruise!

Beth

Hi Everybody ~~ Just wanted to say that we have enjoyed reading all the posts and communicating with you prior to our first Cunard cruise! You have all been very helpful. As I mentioned before, this will be our 35th cruise. We booked this one mainly for the fireworks in Boston and for something "different". Like some of you have said, we have been on some not-so-great Carnival cruises and some GREAT ones (on their newer ships). We have been on Holland American several times and LOVED it. Aren't they also owned by the same company as Cunard & Carnival? We also love the Royal Caribbean ships as we have sailed with them 17 times and in March won the bottle of champagne on the Adventure of the Seas for having the most cruises on their line of anybody else on the ship. We love cruisin' and are looking forward to something different on the QM2. Hopefully she will be our favorite of all. One thing we know for sure is that we have loved all of our 34 cruises before so we have high expectations for this one also.

See y'all soon. Got to print our boarding passes now for our Delta flight tomorrow morning.

:confused: Hi All,

I know that you all are packing and some going to bed, but something interesting be observed.

The Crown Princess that was suppose to leave the Pier where the Mary is coming in tomorrow is still there. She was supposed to leave at 5PM and at 9:58PM by Long Distance Cam & Her Cam is still sitting there. No Word is being posted what is wrong on the Princess Board.

I am confidences that they will solve the problem and (Get Her Out Of There) since the Mary is due at about 5-6 AM for disembarkation and our broading soon after.

I am not alarmed but puzzled.

Regards,

:confused: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

To all those with trepidations about our Sailabration that begins tomorrow - please don't! You are going on a world class liner and will have a marvelous time. Will there be staff that are unpleasant - hopefully not? Will the majority of the staff go out of their way to help you - most definately. I've only done one crossing (so far) but it was an absolute fantasyland for me and I hope that this trip is the same for everyone else.

As far as this being a 'fun ship' in dress clothing - don't even sweat that. While I have no beef with Carnival, I think they are two different cruise experiences and will remain that way by design. I've sailed on HAL twice (Volendam to Alaska and Maasdam to the Western C) and while I really loved it, I guess the anglophile in me finds the entire cruise on Cunard on a level by itself.

My rule of thumb, I treat everyone I meet on the ship with the level of respect that I would like to receive from them, no matter who it is, the guy I've seen all week cleaning the mirrors and brass or the awesome bartender at the Commodore Club - I was not disappointed at all, in fact other than a very agressive esthetician who tried to sell me entirely too many facial potions, I can't think of a negative person I met. I actually had to ask for more of those 'shining star' cards because I ran out of them LOL!

I wish everyone safe travels to the pier and look forward to meeting you all in the Commodore Club in LESS THAN 24 HOURS!!!!

Morrie

sab,

(If you read this before you leave in the morning,..or once on board)

Have sailed HAL and Cunard both many (well, not for this crowd!) times. Love both. Had gripes about each, had loves about each.

HAL is marvelous... But Cunard is, well, Cunard! Nothing (in my experience) compares!

Megaship? Yes. But I have sailed 1800 passenger HAL ships, 1 (ugh) carnival, smaller Cunards, small Premier, Mega RCCL I have gotten lost on all of them!

Never once got confused, lost, or too pooped to get to the fun at the other end of the ship (and I am handicapped and really can't walk a lot- especially in stockings or formal shoes) You will not find this ship over-whelming. Her public spaces are well designed, larger, but not cavernous. Cabins are average.. But how much time will you spend in them- bathing, sleeping, dressing, mostly. Service is as good, though not always as good as the Cunard of old Even the pre-Mickey Arison Cunard- but still better than most cruiselines- Remember that an individual server can color your perception of the entire line- If you are unhappy, try to work out your expectations vs. the reality of what you seem to be getting. Perhaps a change in server or a discussion of how you like to have things. Usually, if they know you like a certain thing a certain way,(whether room stewards or dining staff) they will usually do their utmost to accomodate you, but you have to let them know! Don't be shy! the era of them "just knowing" without having to ask is long gone. So many people have differing likes and dislikes. Some want lots of servvc - hovering waiters, and such, Others want them to serve and begone, appearing only when truly needed.

Any way- Enjoy your cruise. Make sure to make the gathering at the Commodore Club. You won't regret it!

Karie,

who is So-o-o-o Jealous!

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone is going to read this this morning, but it was a pleasure to write to all in the past and now closing down my writing pre cruise part.

Not sure if I can add comments while on board but will see.

8:21AM and getting ready. Time goes so fast.

Should be at the pier about 12Noon and will see after that. Will see where we will be cruisin out and by the bridge. Will try cruiseking sugges.

Till our return.......

Regards,

:D ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Well, whatever was in port last night has made way for the queen!

Have a safe, exciting and wonderful cruise, folks. Don't forget to sign the log (ask for it in the bookstore 8 deck forward) and I expect to see lots of pics uploaded (to one of the photo websites such as iphoto and kodak and webshots) and CC reviews!

Someone PLEASE try to beat CruiserKing and CQ6 at pub trivia! they are unbeatable! You've got to get up pretty early (and study every subject known to man) to beat them. Pop trivia, Geography, ancient history, world sports, music theory, mythology (all all cultures!), language, science- all kinds, and esoterica. I don't know how they each spend their time on land, but they sure know a lot of (mostly useless <LOL>) stuff!

DON'T FORGET TO GET PICTURES OF THE CC GATHERING AT THE COMMODORE CLUB and say hi to Paul for us- (I also want a pic of his banana dolphin!)

Here is the view from the bridge!

Karie,

Who is super wistful, wishing she were rushing like a madwoman to get packed and there on time!

QM2inbrooklyn.jpg.d0d33c61055bb23db56698b50d433196.jpg

Archived