Amerisuites in FLL was a nightmare

jennew

We stayed at Amerisuites in January of this year. While it is definitely not the Ritz we felt that this hotel was just fine for an overnight stay. Because I had read in here about them giving rooms away I called a week before our reservation to make sure they would not give ours away. The answer was of course not, it doesn't matter how late you get in the room will be there. We ate waffles for breakfast and got the hotel shuttle to the cruise ship. We would have preferred to have stayed at the Renaissance or Embassy Suites as we have in past visits to Ft Lauderdale but the price they were looking for was astronomical and in my opinion not worth it.

We stayed at this hotel on January 27th prior to our Jewel of the Seas cruise on the 28th. I was really worried after all the negative stuff I read on this thread. I am happy to say, we had a positive experience. We arrived at the hotel before noon due to early flights, and were told the rooms wouldn't be ready for a couple hours. Our luggage was placed in a "locked" room, and we went to get some lunch. We ended up at a pub called Waxy O'connors (good burgers) across the street from Embassy Suites and a short walk from Amerisuites. We then went to the wine and spirits store (yes, we did smuggle alcohol aboard and it was not confiscated). After a stop at the Winn Dixie for mixes and limes, we were able to get in our rooms. I had reserved 4 rooms, and they put all of us on the same floor, close to each other. We did have a problem with our sink, the rod underneath that holds the drain had broken and the sink would not drain. We were moved to another room, also on the same floor as our friends.

We found the staff to be very curtious and helpful. They did seem to be understaffed. When we called to report the problem with the sink, they sent the shuttle driver up to take a look. The rooms were clean, but showing wear. The breakfast in the morning was fine. We had no problems finding seating for eight. I had pastries, yogurt and a cup of tea.

We used the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and were picked up within 15 minutes. On cruise day, we elected to skip the shuttle and take a cab. The staff called a cab for us, and it was there in about 5 minutes. I would highly recommend getting a cab, there is no sign up for the shuttle, and almost everyone at the hotel was trying to get to the port.

We paid $99 through Value Trips, and given the prices for other hotels in the area, I felt this was a bargain. This is not a 4 star hotel, but it is fine for a one night precruise stay.

OH, forgot to add, we had dinner next door at the Cafe Del Rio, and all eight of us thought it to be excellent. They have great margaritas.

Just wondering which Amerisuites we are referring to in this thread. I understand there is more than 1 Amerisuites in Ft. Lauderdale.?? Just wondering since we have Amerisuite on 17th Street booked. Is this one located close to the pier for cruises. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE MY A TEL#,AND EXACT ADRESS?WE BEEN IN THIS HOLTEL 2 YEARS AGO,IT WAS FINE,BUT EVEN WE DONT BOOK IT NOW I NEED ADRESS ,WE LOVED THE MEXICAN RESTAURANT ACROSS THE STREET:D

Thanks for reporting back to us soon be dwellers. All I want is a place to stay pre cruise for 1 night, unfortunately I am paying $160 because it is presidents week.

How much did a cab cost to get to the port, and would it fit 4 people and luggage.

TIA

GOLDENBONNY - the address is:

Amerisuites Fort Lauderdale

1851 SE Tenth Avenue

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Phone: 954-763-7670

Mjasp - cost of the cab was around $10 plus tip. We had 4 people per cab, luggage fit with a bungy cord on the trunk lid. They all seemed to have them.

We are staying here one night pre-cruise in March and I have done nothing but second guess myself. All I expect is clean and courteous at this price. So pleased to hear you had a good experience. Thank you for reporting back:)

GOLDENBONNY - the address is:

Amerisuites Fort Lauderdale

1851 SE Tenth Avenue

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Phone: 954-763-7670

Mjasp - cost of the cab was around $10 plus tip. We had 4 people per cab, luggage fit with a bungy cord on the trunk lid. They all seemed to have them.

thank you so much

Talked to a gal at the Amerisuites last night. Remodel/Renovation is supposed to start in April, rooms will be converted to normal rooms with the 1 king or 2 doubles, maybe some with the sleeper sofa still, refrigerators, sinks and kitchen area to be removed, might still leave coffee-makers, buffet area going away to be replaced with a full service 24 hour restuarant with room-service and there is supposed to be a Martini Bar added...........might you they were told all this 6 months ago and no further updates since.

Existing reservations will be honored and pricing held, and it seems the big problem with getting people into rooms, etc is due to the dot com companies taking reservations for their property but not notifying them until just days prior to the guest arrival, while at the same time the Amerisuites Reservation folks are also taking reservations not knowing that the dot com's have made them also..............so that results in the double booking, and folks wanting doubles getting kings, etc. They said they now have a way to watch and hold taking reservations now when it starts showing a certain percentage or rooms booked...........just in case.

Jennew~all you did is post, stating a situation that happened to you...It was not pleasent...and it appears to me it left you frustrated at the least. You were kind enough to warn others regarding your bad experience. I for one commend you for that. If more people spoke up and posted on these boards when a hotel is bad or good, horrible or great we as travelers would be able to make a far better choice when traveling. Thank you for your comments. Rev:)

I called and confirmed my reservation for the date but I didnt confirm my time which would be midnight due to a late flight but I will do that the week before we cruise, im not looking for anything great but wont cancel either because we couldnt find a hotel back when we booked this I certainly dont want to find one now, I must of picked the busy week of mar11.

thanks for these updates it does help!

I canceled our rooms at Amerisuites and booked with La Quinta Inn. We were afraid we would have the same luck as others, and that is not the way we wanted to start or end our vacation. We were able to get the Inn for a total of $10 more for one night and $20 more for the other night. I am willing to pay that for peace of mind!

Since the general concensus is that the Amerisuites is being renovated starting in April, I would love to hear when, if, and how it goes...Please report back that is the only way we learn by the boards.

LHC

Its easy for me to get into a complaining mode when we do a fast food restaurant like Wendy's or MacDonalds. I try to remind myself on those occasions that the people waiting on me at these places are working at minimum wage, and that I need to extend a little grace to them--try to put myself in their place, and imagine how I might feel working under similar circumstances, listening to complaints from people who make as much in a day as I do in a week. The people working at Amerisuites are in the same boat, and I'm sure they could probably use a kind word from me as they serve my family the night before our cruise.

I meant to cancel after I posted, but I forgot to! So I did it today. I called and a lady answered the phone and I told her I wanted to cancel. She put me on hold, as if she was transferring me to someone else. After being on hold for 15 minutes I hung up and called again. This time the same lady answered and I told her I wanted to cancel, and she canceled the rooms for me right away. I have no idea why I had to sit on the phone for 15 minutes!!! I think I did a good thing by canceling.

Just an update...We stayed at the Amerisuites last Saturday night. The hotel is fine for a pre night cruise stay but I wouldn't stay there for any extended stay. The pool area is small but the rooms were clean so I can't complain.

Room and the hotel and staff were fine. The pool area is small but you get what you pay for. If you don't want to fight the crowd go for breakfast early. The area is small to sit.

We did not find the hotel a problem at all - close to restaurants and a publix and a short cab ride to the port so it was fine for us.

Archived