Gidebook specific for Hawaii cruising?

kaymoz

We just booked POA for January 2019, and since we have so little time to research & plan excursions, I'd love to find a travel guidebook that is specifically written for cruise ship visitors. 

On our last cruise (to the Baltic), we used Rick Steves' guide about Northern European ports, which had just been updated.  It was helpful again and again for logistics and other issues unique to the cruiseship travelers.   

Rick evidently doesn't cover Hawaii, but my googling came up with this one:   

Ocean Cruise Guides Hawaii by Cruise Ship: The Complete Guide to Cruising the Hawaiian Islands

Paperback – March 7, 2014,  by Anne Vipond  (Author)

Has anyone used this guide?  If so, what do you think?  

Are there other guides we should consider specifically for cruising in Hawaii?

Thanks!

I have used Anne Vipond''s book on Alaska cruise ports and found it to be a good guide. We did several walks in ports with her guide. We will be cruising Hawaii this fall, so I will take a look at the Hawaii guide. We have visited the Hawaii ports before and always welcome new ideas.

Pretty much any guidebook will give you a good overview of the Islands....so you will see all there is and what interests YOU the most!  Some folks are all about the scenery...some are about the volcanoes....some are all about the history....depends on what YOU want to get from your time there.

I still maintain a land vacation is the best way to do Hawaii....we were there for 10 days, and could have stayed another 10 days, and still not have seen all there is!

I would post on the TripAdvisor Hawaii Forum.  They have sub-Forums for each of the Islands as well.  

The posters there can easily field your questions - and they do it a lot!  I used to be a Destination Expert for Oahu - but handled questions for all of the Islands. 

The problem with travel guides (and I love them, too!) - is that they are out of date so quickly.  

First order of business:  Get a good map of the Hawaiian Islands.  There are guidebooks that have pull-out maps in the back.  AAA may have a good map as well