Price change - advice needed

uktog

OK preface this with two comments

1. We are UK based so things may well be different

2. We are still going on this cruise and are not about to threaten anything otherwise

We provisionally booked a trip for October 2006 when on board in Sept 2005. On our return to the UK we transferred the booking to an agent who offered a good price. The roll call for the sailing has been very quiet and I think it is not selling. I have discovered that our cabin has now been reduced in price by £600 ($1100) for the two of us. I do not want to go through the hassle of cancelling and rebooking (which in the UK might mean us losing £400 deposits anyway)

Has anyone, particularly our UK friends had this situation and what did X do? For us the price difference would go a long way to DHs on board bills!!

I'm going to presume you have not fully paid for your October 2006 cruise yet.

On one cruise we discovered the price dropped three times before we had to make the final crise payment and had our travel agent contact Celebrity each time to get our price dropped accordingly.

I do not know if this would work if the cruise was fully paid for.

I recently booked directly with Celebrity and received this info in their confirmation email:

"If your price should decrease prior to your final payment date, we can easily match the new price. If the price should decrease on or after your final payment date - the new price may or may not be applicable as some of our price programs are restricted and valid for new bookings only."

I hope your TA will follow Celebrity's policy. Good luck!

The $64,000 or 64,000 GBP question is this: Did the rate drop on the UK tariff or just the US?

They are two different tariffs.

If the rate did not drop on the UK tariff, then your only alternative would be to cancel and rebook with an agency outside the UK.

I will ask the Irn bru heids to see what they can do

:) :) :) :) nice one uktog!!!

Ocngypz

Does Celebrity still actually operate a two tariff system, was just booking the Constellation (Baltics) over the weekend and the pricing I was getting from bids from cruise compete and the like(US)....were so close to the best UK pricing I was getting.... made me think that they may not be operating that way but purely on a fixed company dollar to pound rate?

Alan

I'm going to presume you have not fully paid for your October 2006 cruise yet.

On one cruise we discovered the price dropped three times before we had to make the final crise payment and had our travel agent contact Celebrity each time to get our price dropped accordingly.

I do not know if this would work if the cruise was fully paid for.

Where do you find out if the price drops? On the Celebrity site?

Ocngypz

Does Celebrity still actually operate a two tariff system, was just booking the Constellation (Baltics) over the weekend and the pricing I was getting from bids from cruise compete and the like(US)....were so close to the best UK pricing I was getting.... made me think that they may not be operating that way but purely on a fixed company dollar to pound rate?

Alan

Two tariffs. Pricing can vary widely by cruise. In some instances UK pricing has been much cheaper than US. For Europe sailings... they are pretty close.

For NA sailings... it's a mixed bag.

Keep in mind that when booking with a US agency, your cc will be charged in dollars. The exchange rate and any applicable fees charged by your card issuer may eat up a good portion of the price differences.

uktog,

We had the same experience on the Millennium, 2004. I noticed the price drop and called the TA. She contacted Celebrity and the price was reduced.

We are spotting the oposite at the moment. The prices seem to be climbing.

Ocngypz

Alan

Which Baltics trip are you planning? Our Baltics trip has a price rising on it which is why in some ways I see things as balancing out, though I am still going to ask about the price change for Hawaii thanks to all your good advice. And I am now assuming if it drops again I ask again etc. As my old boss said asking nicely cost nothing and if you dont ask you certainly wont get:)

Which Baltics trip are you planning? Our Baltics trip has a price rising on it which is why in some ways I see things as balancing out, though I am still going to ask about the price change for Hawaii thanks to all your good advice. And I am now assuming if it drops again I ask again etc. As my old boss said asking nicely cost nothing and if you dont ask you certainly wont get:)

We are on the Constellation July 1st.......and yes as the inventory has been reducing the pricing seems to have rocketed.....we were only able to get 2 veranda guarantees over the weekend....but our UK TA managed to undercut the quotes from the US by about £100 per cabin.

Never used the guarantee stateroom before so who knows where we'll end up!

I'd agree ...the more the price drops....keep asking!!!! ..hehehe!! :)

Two tariffs. Pricing can vary widely by cruise. In some instances UK pricing has been much cheaper than US. For Europe sailings... they are pretty close.

For NA sailings... it's a mixed bag.

Yep! it certainly seems that at least Celebrity are using a more "level playing field" in terms of pricing these days.......but as you say there are some anomalies for NA Sailings and some bargains to be had! :)

Alan

We have a very nice celebrity rep. and called here several times when our Holiday honeymoon price would go down we booked it way ahead of time. She always adjusted it no problem.

Oh and congrats Alan on the upgrade fairy!

Archived