Port of call - shore excursions

I know there is supposed to be a site where I can read the reviews and recommendations for shore excursions in each

port.   However, when I checked Halifax I got all Viator tours.   I thought there was a special site where cruise critic

members posted their reviews.   Am I doing this wrong.   I clicked on shore excursions, then picked the port, Halifax

and that is when I followed the links and just got Viator.   Is there another site to see what our members had to say

about their tours?   Thanks for your help.   Donna

Donna, when I want to find info about shore excursions (and especially about private tours) from CC members, I go to the Ports of Call forum and then the relevant sub-forum for that port, and do a search for that port.  That’s where I’ve found the most traffic and the most helpful discussions.  

In your case, I’d go to the Canada/New England forum and search for Halifax.  Also scroll around the pages, ask a question. (It’s not that heavily trafficked a forum, unfortunately, but there is info there.). I would also join the Roll Call for your cruise, where folks are often researching and discussing tours. (And read through other Roll Calls for similar itineraries.)

It’s possible you might also find info in the Research section of CC in the “destinations” forum.   And if you are interested in ship-sponsored tours, it’s okay to ask about them in the relevant cruise line forum of these Boards.

It sounds like you are searching in the Cruise Reviews/shore excursion part of CC.  Looks like some reviews of ship-sponsored tours and then some booking links to Viator.  This is not the main discussion part of CC.

I hope this has been helpful. 

Edited by Turtles06

Hi, Donna,

I recall that there was a section where port reviews were posted - in fact, I don't think they were actually posted there but the parts of cruise reviews that were about the ports ended up there. I know this - cos that happened to one (or more?) of the cruise reviews that I posted.

There were also articles & posts - not reviews or forums -  about ports in another completely different section of Cruise Critic. Those  as well as the Q and A Ports of Call forums - all very bitty and dis-jointed, rather like parent company TripAdvisor.

I've just taken a little tour of  Cruise Critic and found in the Reviews section (Home > Research > Reviews > Cruise Ports) some stuff about just ten random ports in / near the Caribbean.

Again it seems to be snippets from full cruise reviews - for instance one post about St Thomas simply says "This tour was OK, but most likely we would not do it again. The tour guide was fantastic but again we probably wouldn’t do it again".  

All a bit pointless.

I'll continue to avoid wasting my time and, like Turtles, stick to the Ports of Call forums  

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull