Miami pre embarkation question

4thgrade

We will be landing in Miami at 6 am with embarkation on the Equinox at 11 am.  This is my first time cruising from Miami.   I have no clue as to the crowds or boarding procedures, as well as the necessary time frame.  Any info., ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Welcome to the boards! :classic_biggrin:

If your flight is on time you will have bags and be ready to leave MIA about 6:45-7:00, but the ride to POM will only take about 15+ minutes.

I would look at hotels offering day rates (Pullman near MIA or the Miami Airport hotel inside of MIA) or book a room for the night before and let the hotel know that you will not check in until about 7:00.  Then grab a shower, breakfast, a nap, maybe even a dip in the pool, before heading to POM about noon.

Your other option is to taxi/Uber/shuttle to a nicer hotel - Hilton, etc. -- tip them to hold your bags, and enjoy a boozy brunch before heading to POM

UberX from MIA, or from nearby hotels, to POM will run about $20

Have a great cruise! :classic_smile:

For crowds/boarding procedures... I think you'll find Miami about as easy as it gets and similar to any other cruise port.  The port is very easy to get in and out with minimal traffic (has a tunnel directly linked to the highway).  Just have them drop you off at your terminal and follow the obvious signs for baggage drop off/check in.  Don't overthink it.  I'd shoot to arrive around 10:00 or so.

What you'll do for 3 hours is up to you.  I would personally just hang out at the airport in a quiet corner with an iPad then at 9:30 request transportation to the port.  For that short of time, I wouldn't be trying to taxi to hotels and what not but that's up to you.  To me, it's basically a layover, and what do you do for a layover?  Chill.  Consider bringing a few snacks with you.

Are you a frequent flyer with an airline? Then get a one day pass to their LOUNGE at MIA. There you can relax and enjoy some snacks and check emails and phone calls in a relaxed atmosphere. It would be cheaper than paying for a short stay hotel and two cabs or Ubers. We did that with Delta and paid about $50 for a day pass, was very relaxing.

3 minutes ago, FPJC03 said:

Are you a frequent flyer with an airline? Then get a one day pass to their LOUNGE at MIA. There you can relax and enjoy some snacks and check emails and phone calls in a relaxed atmosphere. It would be cheaper than paying for a short stay hotel and two cabs or Ubers. We did that with Delta and paid about $50 for a day pass, was very relaxing.

How did you get back through security after collecting your bags?