San Juan forts closed

Mattnvick

Just some information for anyone going to San Juan in the near future although things can change quickly.

Someone on Seaside right now has just posted that from today (Jan 8th) the forts will be closed because of the government shutdown. Apparently the PR tourism  dept has been paying to keep them open for the past 2 weeks but can't do it anymore. 

Just thought this might be worth posting in case anyone was planning to visit: you may, depending on how long the shutdown goes be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Mattnvick said:

Just some information for anyone going to San Juan in the near future although things can change quickly.

Someone on Seaside right now has just posted that from today (Jan 8th) the forts will be closed because of the government shutdown. Apparently the PR tourism  dept has been paying to keep them open for the past 2 weeks but can't do it anymore. 

Just thought this might be worth posting in case anyone was planning to visit: you may, depending on how long the shutdown goes be disappointed.

I don't think it matters much either way.

The forts, when operating, close every day at 6:00pm.

The Seaside doesn't arrive in San Juan until 5:00pm. By the time you'd get off of the ship and get to the fort you really wouldn't have enough time to make it worth your while.

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I don't think it matters much either way.

The forts, when operating, close every day at 6:00pm.

The Seaside doesn't arrive in San Juan until 5:00pm. By the time you'd get off of the ship and get to the fort you really wouldn't have enough time to make it worth your while.

Ok. Didnt realise that. Sorry.

We are doing Western Carribean on Seaside and when we went on Divina we there all day

11 minutes ago, Mattnvick said:

Ok. Didnt realise that. Sorry.

We are doing Western Carribean on Seaside and when we went on Divina we there all day

Yeah...that would make a difference.

We are scheduled for San Juan from 5pm to 1am...I think it is odd to be arriving right a dinner time. I guess it is going to be "San Juan nightlife" for anyone going there on Seaside.

Due to the time constraint, we booked the "El Morro & More Walking Tour" through MSC for our cruise on Seaside a couple of weeks ago. Once the government shutdown ends, I recommend this tour for those docking in San Juan at 5pm. We got to El Morro quickly and were able to see plenty. It helped to have a capable, knowledgeable guide. For anyone interested, I provided details in the trip review I just finished posting in this forum. The thread title is MSC Seaside 12/22/18 ~ Christmas in the Yacht Club.

While we're on the subject of ports affected by the shutdown, anyone docking at St. Thomas with thoughts of going to the beaches on St. John should check beforehand. The most recent alert is here:

https://www.nps.gov/viis/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Edited by LisaLisa87
  • Like 1