Free/Reduced Airfare on an International cruise?

countingmomma

I did a mock booking for a British Isles cruise in Sept. 2019.  They wanted $399pp rt from Newark to Heathrow.  Don't even know if that is nonstop or what.  For about $150 more pp I can book directly with the airline and get the times and (hopefully) seats that I want.

On 1/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, countingmomma said:

Has anyone used this option for (in particular) a European Cruise?  I'm looking at booking a 2020 cruise that leaves from Denmark, but we would want to extend our time by flying in a few days early, and maybe staying later. 

If you use the airfare directly through NCL, you don't have the option to fly in early or stay later unfortunately.

We booked Business Class flights for our upcoming October Transatlantic and needed to get to Copenhagen.  We are going 3 days early and using NCL’s hotel.  We were able to pick our airline, flights and seats plus use our Delta Skymiles numbers.  It did take a while to get to the air scheduling department but our PCC was persistent.  Once we get to New Orleans we are staying two days on our own and we were able to select those flights, etc too, to get us back home again.  But I’m not sure you can do that if you fly economy.  We saved over $1800 a piece by booking through NCL SO NO COMPLAINTS FROM US.

Edited by mertziek

We just reserved the Epic Barcelona for end of summer. $399 from Newark, but no confirmation on airline/flights. We were told we'd get it about 60 days ahead, so late June/early July. I would love to fly Delta, lots of perks if I'm able to do that, including a chance to upgrade, free checked bags, lounge access, etc. Most likely we'll get another airline, but Newark is the best option and the NCL price is amazing so we'll live with it.

Related but haven't exactly seen this issue addressed, responders about the airfare perk indicate NCL will always fly guest in and out on exact embarkation and disembarkation days.  Otherwise there is a diversion fee, etc.

My question is what happens in the event the cruise line's arranged air does not arrive in time?  Generally I know guests booking on their own are responsible for getting themselves to the next port. What is the case when booking via NCL?  

Specifically I am looking at a TA so missing the ship (whether weather, mechanical, whatever) would be a real problem since there are many days at sea before the first hard to reach port.  

Have been searching T & C but can't seem to locate anything about missing the ship and who then becomes responsible.  

Thanks for anyone who can share insight or experience.  

We are taking the cruise out of Barcelona in September but decided not to use the free/reduced airfare. We are leaving from Newark but arriving 2 days before the cruise and staying an extra day.  The $399 fare is good but it would cost additional to come early plus you have to book your hotel through NCL. My agent at NCL priced everything for me and it ends up $700 more than if I did it myself. If I was getting there the day of the cruise I might have used it, they seem to use American Airlines which I happen to prefer. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:04 PM, rtkenmore said:

If you use the airfare directly through NCL, you don't have the option to fly in early or stay later unfortunately.

We have friends that booked air through NCL, and are flying in 2 days before to be able to join our group. NCL also booked the hotel, so I believe this can be done. YMMV

36 minutes ago, teeredi2cruise said:

We have friends that booked air through NCL, and are flying in 2 days before to be able to join our group. NCL also booked the hotel, so I believe this can be done. YMMV

Did they book the FREE/Reduced airfare offer or just book regular airfare through NCL along with the hotel?  Multiple people, including myself, have been told when you book the Free/Reduced option that flying early or staying later is absolutely not an option. You must fly in the day of the cruise and return the day of debarkation.  Someone above mentioned a diversion fee and I even asked about that as I booked a Rome cruise in 2020 with airfare and would love to fly in at least a day early to see Rome but we were told there was no option at all to do that.

Now, if you just book regular airfare that is not part of the promotion, then yes,  you can book pre and post cruise hotel along with your trip.

Edited by rtkenmore