Tipping by Euro vs credit card

bap

While doing my research, I’ve come across the following dilemma.  I will likely need some Euros during my trip, and don’t have an ATM card that will pull them from a foreign ATM.  If I order ahead of time from my bank, I will likely have to get a minimum of 250, which will cost around $280.  I don’t want to return home with $150 of Euros that I can’t exchange.  I have read that Viking will charge my tips to my credit card at a rate of 15%.  First of all, is this correct?  Secondly, can I have the amount I have left in Euros removed from my bill on the ship and leave the Euros as part of my tips?  Thanks in advance for your response!

1 hour ago, bap said:

While doing my research, I’ve come across the following dilemma.  I will likely need some Euros during my trip, and don’t have an ATM card that will pull them from a foreign ATM.  If I order ahead of time from my bank, I will likely have to get a minimum of 250, which will cost around $280.  I don’t want to return home with $150 of Euros that I can’t exchange.  I have read that Viking will charge my tips to my credit card at a rate of 15%.  First of all, is this correct?  Secondly, can I have the amount I have left in Euros removed from my bill on the ship and leave the Euros as part of my tips?  Thanks in advance for your response!

You can always adjust the amount of tips and it is suggested at $15 a day.  I'm sure those adjustments can be made at Explorer's desk.  I do find some of your dilemmas interesting.  Now I have a travel card I set up with no yearly fees that I use. There are no foreign transaction fees when I travel and I can use it as a Credit Card or as an ATM card anywhere in the world if I notify them I am going out of the country.  This is the card I use when I travel be cause it helps keep all those expenses in one place and if I loose it, then a thief or lucky finder do not have access to all my money.  I have 2 bank accounts, one for me and one for business.  Two different banks based on closest location to work and home.  One of those banks has a charge for currency exchange and one doesn't.   Now with your cruise, you will only need Euros so that's a little easier.  Viking Homelands cruise travels to destinations with 6 different currencies.  I was not told there was only so much money that I had to exchange.  I told them I needed money for tips on an excursion in Croatia and they supplied the amount needed for that.  I only have done two European cruises but this sure did help.

On our recent Viking cruise in the Med, we were told we could use USDs for tips, and suggested we add a bit to our regular tip since the guides and drivers would have to convert the dollars.   We saw many fellow passengers doing the same.

That worked well for us and no one seemed disappointed to be tipped in dollars.

Edited by cruisenfreak

2 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Why not just get an ATM card? That's the easiest way and you can take out what you need. Tips are $15 pp per day I believe.

Hello stretchcruz, I may end up trying to find a bank that provides one, but my regional bank, coincidentally where I work, does not offer one with international access.

58 minutes ago, cruisenfreak said:

On our recent Viking cruise in the Med, we were told we could use USDs for tips, and suggested we add a bit to our regular tip since the guides and drivers would have to convert the dollars.   We saw many fellow passengers doing the same.

That worked well for us and no one seemed disappointed to be tipped in dollars.

So cruisenfreak, did you not need Euros for other things like public toilets in the Mediterranean?

5 minutes ago, bap said:

So cruisenfreak, did you not need Euros for other things like public toilets in the Mediterranean?

Yes, bap, we did need some for postcards, souvinirs, coffees at sidewalk cafes, restrooms, etc.  We don’t buy much, but we did use the credit card a few times.  

We ordered 125 Euros from our credit union before we left and came home with 20 Euros.  I call that pretty good planning.

Obviously if we hadn’t used USDs for tipping, we would have needed to take more Euros.       We did  bring lots of ones and fives and I would recommend that.  At one time we wanted some extra small bills but Viking had none at that point.  Later they did and we could break larger bills for more ones and fives.

You have several choices, do not have them put tips on your card, use your leftover Euros for your tips, although you can use dollars, most of these are europeans, and they would love the euros......Save them for another (hopefully ) trip...We always save ours...DO not exchange them back, you will get a terrible conversion.