Formal nights -- Ladies in pants?

frchteaze

First time cruiser on Celebrity heading to Alaska in May.

My travelling companion refuses to wear a dress ever. Would an evening pants outfit be okay?

I understand Celebrity is strict on the dress code and the rest of our group (2 other ladies) will be wearing dresses. She wants to attend the formal night dinners just not in a dress, so eating in the other areas during these nights is not really an option.

First time cruiser on Celebrity heading to Alaska in May.

My travelling companion refuses to wear a dress ever. Would an evening pants outfit be okay?

I understand Celebrity is strict on the dress code and the rest of our group (2 other ladies) will be wearing dresses. She wants to attend the formal night dinners just not in a dress, so eating in the other areas during these nights is not really an option.

Women wear dress pants to formal night all the time even tuxedos She will be fine, something like black satin pants and an elegant blouse perhaps.

I wear pants more often than dresses or skirts...no problem at all. Key is to have dressy tops. when on a long cruise - to save packing, I often pack a black skirt, black pants and lots of tops. In fact, just bought some mix and match browns to change the color at bit. With dresssy shoes and jewelry...already to go.

are considered INFORMAL by Celebrity standards.

Although many do wear them and look nice, they ARE NOT CONSIDERED formal.

However it better than trying to get away with wearing jeans.

IMHO I don't think its okay for people to keep BENDING the rules.

But as I said its better than looking at some woman wearing high heels and jeans thinking its formal, dressy, or what ever....when in turn she looks no better than a hooker.

Dave:eek:

Sorry Dave, but I must disagree about this. Flowing evening pants paired with a sequined or beaded top is very correct for formal night on a cruise ship. While it may not be socially acceptable for a White House State Dinner, or for a formal ball where the dress code is white tie, special evening pants are very correct on a cruise ship. I've been on a few Celebrity cruises, and I wear long, georgette flowing pants with a long beaded swing jacket and it looks more formal than some of the long, unadorned tank dresses I see women wearing.

One of the women in our family has a prosthetic leg so pants are the norm for her even on formal nights. Large flowing skirts can get trapped in the device. So in this case BENDING the rules is acceptable.

I, without a prosthetic leg, have worn very dressy pantsuits on the second formal night, which usually is a little less formal. I personally just want my table companions to be clean, neat, and fun to be with. A boring person in beautiful attire doesn't cut it.

I was just citing the Celebrity dress code.

While may believe pants suits are formal, and I have to admit many are very elegant....Celebrity considers them 'informal'

So I guess what I was trying to say to the original poster was that a pantsuit should be okay for her friend. Is it considered formal, No. Is it considered Informal, Yes. Can something that is informal be dressed up to look more 'dressy'? of course.

Will her friend ruin anyones cruise experience? I truly don't believe it will.

I was just reading into:

"My travelling companion refuses to wear a dress ever. Would an evening pants outfit be okay?

I understand Celebrity is strict on the dress code and the rest of our group (2 other ladies) will be wearing dresses. She wants to attend the formal night dinners just not in a dress, so eating in the other areas during these nights is not really an option."

If she REFUSES to ever wear a dress..this makes me wonder if the pantsuit is going to be a pair of overalls?

And she refuses to consider any casual dining options.

While she may look very elegant and most likely be a joy to be around, my first impression is that she is one of the "I'll do what I want " types. Especially knowing that everyone else in the group is going to adhere to the dress code.

Just my impression on the post, nothing else, and maybe I'm reading too much into it...but I'm bored right now and have nothing else to concentrate on.:p

As I posted above, I was citing the Celebrity dress code...nothing else...Although the jeans thing was my opinion.

I agree that for safety, comfort, and enjoyment ..someone with a prosthetic leg..should be able to wear a pants suit if they are going to feel more comfortable and less obvious with their appliance.

Please don't roast me...Rules can be BENT for good reasons., I just dissagree that they should be bent for the sole reason of defiance.

As I posted above, I was citing the Celebrity dress code...nothing else...Although the jeans thing was my opinion.

I agree that for safety, comfort, and enjoyment ..someone with a prosthetic leg..should be able to wear a pants suit if they are going to feel more comfortable and less obvious with their appliance.

Please don't roast me...Rules can be BENT for good reasons., I just dissagree that they should be bent for the sole reason of defiance.

Sorry Dave: I didn't mean that to sound like a roast. I agree with you completely as I agree that bending the suggestions just to be defiant doesn't wash. If you CAN follow the guidelines, then I feel you SHOULD follow the guidelines. They are simply suggestions to make everyone feel comfortable.

are considered INFORMAL by Celebrity standards.

Although many do wear them and look nice, they ARE NOT CONSIDERED formal.

However it better than trying to get away with wearing jeans.

IMHO I don't think its okay for people to keep BENDING the rules.

But as I said its better than looking at some woman wearing high heels and jeans thinking its formal, dressy, or what ever....when in turn she looks no better than a hooker.

I have been on 2 Celebrity cruises and wore velvet pants both times. I never felt out of place. I saw other women in dressy pants w/ fancy or silky tops. We are all entitled to our opinions, but I do NOT think I was bending the rules.

I don't have access to my dailys or my brochures right now but the web site says:

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

The paperwork book they send is more specific . It say cocktail dress or gown, and for men it states tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit.

So yes, according to the DRESS CODE a pants suit is Informal, and you would be bending the rules ( although not a crime punnishable by death).

Just for your information:cool:

The information in the cruise packet/ticket states:

Casual: men - sports shirt and slacks

women - PANTSUIT or sporty outfit

Informal: men - Jacket, shirt and tie

women - dress or PANTS outfit

Formal: men - tuxedo, dinner jacket, dark suit

women - cocktail dresses or long gowns.

This is listed in the 'Fine art of cruising' section labled packing smart.

It is Prefaced with " you'll NEED three types of clothing" (Daywear, eveningwear, and FORMALWEAR)

"I have been on 2 Celebrity cruises and wore velvet pants both times. I never felt out of place. I saw other women in dressy pants w/ fancy or silky tops. We are all entitled to our opinions, but I do NOT think I was bending the rules."

Regardless of how you felt, regardless of what others were doing ( if they all jumped over a bridge, whould you? ) regardless of your opinions...In reality sweetie, you were bending the rules.

I think pantsuits for the most part look fine. But I also think when someone is NEW to this board looking for information WE should provide the MOST ACCURATE information and let them make their oun decisions after we have given then the TRUE details, and not just conjecture.

I'm sure you looked stunning and as I said I was just stating the dress codes that Celebrity affords its passengers, and whether you agree with me or not.....In black and white...Celebrity does NOT agree with you.

However they allow you the courtesy of BENDING the rules.

Love and Kisses xoxoxox

Being our first cruise I understand what is expected on formal nights for adults but what about teens? What is acceptable for a 15yr boy, does he need a tux, 14 & 11 yr old girls. Trying to plan wardrobes and excursions and keep the price down. Can you give me tips. Thanks for your help

I think the adherence to the rules as law is getting a bit out of hand....sorry, Dave, I usually agree with you. While I certainly concur that people who don't like to dress for formal (dressy) occasions might be more comfortable with casual dining on formal nights, most women know when their attire is proper or not. I've seen all sorts of very nice dressy clothes on formal night (short, long, pants, evening gowns, cocktail dresses, bridesmaids dresses, mother of the bride dresses, and the list goes on). And, of course, there are always those who take it to the extreme - from clearly casual (including men in sports jackets and women in informal pant suits) to risque gowns. I'm not advocating these extremes, just reporting on what I've seen. I've never seen a women turned away from the dining room or other public area for wearing cocktail clothes (velvet, silk or satin pants, jeweled tops, or skirts) rather than formal gown or dresses. And as noted in the orginal brochures, it says 'preferred'. Think we've exhausted this topic?? ;)

There is the formal night ideal and there is the formal night real. Perhaps it is best to explain to first time cruisers the ideal and the real. Real on Carnival cruise ships would include dressy pants and tops for women on formal night. I have dressy Liz Claibourne tuxedo pants that I pair with very dressy tops and nice jewelry. I have never been turned away from any activity on the ship.

This very week I was looking at a fashion magazine in the eye-doctor's office. Guess what was shown at recent haute couture shows. Formal short shorts in luxurious fabrics with luxurious tops. This same week the Palm Beach Post wrote about how Vogue magazine placed model Elle Macpherson on their best dressed list. They praised her fashion creativity because she wore an acid green satin ball gown with guess what--beaded flip flops!

Fashion is changing. Cruise ships are changing. They haven't rewritten their documents in donkey's years. Yet, as they build bigger and bigger ships, they attract more and more passengers who have never attended a a state ball or any truly formal function since their junior prom.

It is correct to explain the rules for formal night as written, but the rules really don't reflect actual practice, especially on the popularly priced cruise ships. Those who want to attend a strictly traditional formal night probably should not look to a cruise ship to provide that experience.

Being our first cruise I understand what is expected on formal nights for adults but what about teens? What is acceptable for a 15yr boy, does he need a tux, 14 & 11 yr old girls. Trying to plan wardrobes and excursions and keep the price down. Can you give me tips. Thanks for your help

No man HAS to wear a tux. Some due, though. Your son will be fine in a shirt and tie. Our friends' son wore one on the Century and was not out of place. The girls can wear nice clothes like the would to church or a wedding.

Have fun planning your excursions! That is always the most fun part for me. :) I have started to do the independent excursions that are recommended here on CC and have not been disappointed yet.

I do truly agree with you. My point was that we should provide the "right" information to the first time cruiser and let them make their own decision on what to do...kind of hoping they will uphold the tradition. A woman in pants or a pantsuit Will not be turned away..and for all practical purposes IS welcome at my table. However a man without a tie and jacket would not be at my table.

Heavysurf: The fashion magazine do not dictate the expected dress on a ship...the ship does. and be it so...I've seen designer jeans that cost hundreds with holes and paint stain on them...just because they are the rage of fashion does that mean they are acceptable?

Sheffie: you are correct. A tux IS preferred, however a dinner jacket or dark suit is suggested in lieu of one. While your son looked okay to you, he should have at least worn a jacket. That would have been more adherant to the dress codes of the evening.

Sheffie: you are correct. A tux IS preferred, however a dinner jacket or dark suit is suggested in lieu of one. While your son looked okay to you, he should have at least worn a jacket. That would have been more adherant to the dress codes of the evening.

I am not trying to argue, but (don't you love that, "but") it doesn't say a tux is preferred, it just lists it first.

Isn't it great that we can all express our opinions.

Nuff said.

women's clothes are difficult to categorize.

I've noticed many a long skirt that was much more casual than dress slacks.

The secret is the top. Put a couple of sequins on it and it goes formal immediately.

I've seen men in red jackets that looked like clown outfits, but they were suitcoats and paired with ties and dress shirts - so even men's clothes are difficult to categorize.

Dress nice and neat - black outfits always seem to look dressy - and stay far far away from jeans - and khaki's - and you will fit in fine.

I wear shiny pants and dressier tops to all formal nights. I haven't had a skirt on in five years and don't intend to start just because someone on this board has a "bug" about interpreting the "rules" as they wish to see them interpreted.

The reality is - judging from how people are dressed in the dining room on formal night - the staff is lenient on the 5 cruiselines I've been on.

Archived