Sailing out of San Juan

EKRAFT22

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

Our favorite place to sail from.  You can get a lot of eastern Caribbean ports that you can't see from Florida sailings.  Plus a great place to spend a couple of days pre-cruise.  Note that if you sail on cruises that are underbooked you will find them filling the ship with locals at incredibly cheap prices.  No different than other ports.  We generally sail B2B from there because it really isn't worth the airfare for a 7 day.  Definitely wouldn't do it for a 3 day.

We stayed in San Juan for a week before.

The only thing we don't like about sailing from SJ is the flight to and from PR. 

The people are wonderful. The food fantastic. The music and dancing are fabulous. 

The sailings offer so many ports that we cannot usually get from Florida. 

We like to stay a few days pre-cruise, dine and dance. 

I enjoy the places the locals suggest and have tried many. Sadly some were lost in the hurricane. 

I have sailed 3 cruise lines and various ships since my 1st SJ sailing in '97. 

I have never had the entire sailing be Spanish. We once had a huge group of Italians(they booked almost 1/2 the ship) on a cruise and on that sailing, all announcements were in English, Italian and Spanish. 

Never had the entertainment be in any language except English with a few jokes said in Spanish or German or Italian. 

We enjoy diversity. But OP, your cruise sounds like an immersion experience. 

13 hours ago, alfaeric said:

You may be joking, but it does help a lot, especially when it comes to food.  That's the one thing I know pretty well is the various food in Spanish- but with a Puerto Rican focus, especially.

That's actually a very good suggestion! And I certainly have plenty of time to learn some Spanish food terminology, before our October 2020 cruise out of San Juan :-)  

Terri

Edited by JustUs275

I did one of those cruises, but through Carnival. I assume they are more similar than different.

First off, absolutely amazing time. You can hit so many islands when you sail from PR. It was the heaviest Hispanic influence cruise I have ever been on. Not that it's a bad thing. Some things were bilingual. All of the main shows were English. The only thing was that there was a significant number of Hispanic events. Again, not a bad thing, as there was some great ones. I did feel a tad out of place at times though.

Just was on the FOS out of San Juan in mid-December.  Completely different vibe than what we were used to when sailing out of Florida.  Nothing bad but it was noticeable.  I was surprised that some of my group seemed so uncomfortable with all the Spanish and the occasional chanting.  I chalked it to us not being used to being the minority.