Comparison Dawn and Gem

RealSoxFan

Considering NCL Gem Boston to Bermuda.   Have previously sailed happily on Dawn.   Read reviews and looked at pics.   Seeking input from experience cruisers who have sailed on both ships.   Concerned with comments that ship is showing her age, surly bartenders, so so food, and that effect of that gigantic slide on sundeck space.  Also considering mini suite vs balcony cabin.   Any thoughts on if this is a good value for additional rate.   Thanks, NCL cruisers.

Edited by RealSoxFan
typo

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ve never been on the Dawn, but my favorite spots on the Gem are the great outdoors and spinnakers lounge, I believe both were removed from the Dawn.

As stated above...  These IMO make the GEM a better cruise.  Also of little importance to most, but I like it, GEM has the Bridge Viewing room.

If I remember right, the DAWN has the stadium seating for loungers on pool deck, it is a plus to me.  GEM does not.

GEM has a dedicated Haven, DAWN not.  Dawn not having one is a plus if you are not a suite guest, now you don't have to wonder what the guests are doing in that special area.  (I will tell you... dancing girls or guys, drinking and all sorts of fun bachelor et party type things going on in there!.  But that is a secrete, so don't say anything.)

• Like 1

Have been on both Dawn and Gem and agree with above. Love the Great Outdoors seating area. Gem just seems to have more public area throughout the ship (that is why I prefer the Gem to even the "larger ships").  I have only been on the Dawn twice, and each time the ship had issues with its propulsion/steering system, one time stranding us in Virginia so we never really cruised and limped back to NYC and the other time causing an overnight stay in Nassau.    Coincidental bad luck on my two cruises on the Dawn?  Maybe....

We have done Boston to Bermuda on Dawn a few times, and took Gem to Bahamas last May. We have Gem out of Boston to Bermuda booked for this May. The ships are very similar.

I like that Gem has the Great Outdoors area, but think the buffet layout and food are much better on Dawn. The buffet on Dawn has two long sides with about the same food on each side and more seating, so it is less crowded than the one on Gem.

The thermal suite on Dawn has an actual swimming pool in it, not just hot tubs and the hot therapy pool. Most days my husband and I had the pool to ourselves. We could swim there, and avoid the noisy main pool area. Gem has nice saunas in the men and womens areas that have windows looking out the front and side of the ship. Dawns saunas do not have windows. Gems heated tile loungers are more comfortable. The ones on Dawn were too curvy and neither my husband nor I could get very comfortable on them. 

We thought the staff and service were good on both ships, but felt like they needed more staff directing people during disembarkation on Gem. 

We did not think Gem was showing her age too much, and found it easy to adjust to after so many trips on Dawn. I still prefer Dawn, but my husband likes Gem better!