Los Angeles help!!

Daneite

We have just booked 24 days Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale on OUR Legend. This is where we need help, the only time we have been to LA we arrived and joined a ship without seeing anything. Can anyone give suggestions on what are the "must sees" and how many days should we allow in LA before joining the ship. I am sure there must be quite a few different opinions but every opinion will be appreciated so that we can evaluate and decide on the best stategy. Thank You All In Anticipation!!!

Kathryn

Daneite, is this L.A. to Ft. Laud sailing, Jan 26-07, The Mexican Rivera? I am also thinking of booking the 24 days.

I've traveled in Mexico many times, but never on a cruise......sounds fabulous! Even calling on Acapulco!

I would simply overnight near the cruise dock and forego any L.A. sightseeing......

MB

You can't tell a Brit who's never been to LA not to go there. There's Beverley Hills for the shopping, Hollywood and the movie stars' houses tour, the Chinese Cinema (is that what they call it now? - it was Graumann's when I was last there), the stars' hand and footprints in the sidewalk and then there's even the original Disneyland at Anaheim. I last did all that about 30 years ago. I think the best bit for me was getting tickets for the Hollywood Bowl for the July 4 concert, sitting way up in the gods! And then you can go from the ridiculous to the sublime and move on to YOUR Legend. :) And it'll be MY Legend in less than 3 months. :) :)

Hi Martha, YES it is the 26 Jan '07 on the Legend, 24 days, it looked a great cruise to us and we just could not resist. Do you really recommend overnighting and just joining the ship?? We felt we should make the effort to see some of LA while we were there but it is looking like maybe we shouldn't?? We have always said that our destination is the Seabourn ship, maybe this time it is absolutely correct.

It would be great if you decided to join us on this cruise, go on BOOK it NOW!!!!!!

Kathryn

Will they all still be there 30 years on????? Thought you would have suggested a show such as "The Pirates of Penzance! " but maybe we should drop that joke now?? And anyway Penzance is in Cornwall not LA!! Please just look after "our" Legend( a little better than you did the Spirit) until we see her again in October! I am sure our paths will cross one day. Did I see you are doing the November crossing on Legend?? If so will see you at the Sky Bar after Lifeboat drill just don't tell Jane Pond as we failed to turn up to meet her!!! That is a long story we would rather forget!

Kathryn

Matt.....I believe I have "sight saw" in Los Angeles all that I can bear.:confused: For me, taxi-ing to the ship from the Airport would be ideal.:p

Daneite, we might ask on the board for an alternate airport as I don't care for LAX.

I don't even know where the Legend will berth.????:rolleyes:

MB

I cannot keep up with this, every time I post more appear!!!!

Martha, I think LAX will be the only choice for us from the UK, unless you know better! Don't know where Legend will berth either but as long as we get to know before we fly I will be OK.

Norm, staying on between is the dream of all of us here!!! You will not be hard to spot at Lifeboat but could you whistle as well(possibly the national anthem) just to be sure I get the right Norm!

Martha, Matt & L O T Seas, are you all employed by the US tourism board, they are having a big campaign over here with advertisements on the tv, "you have seen the films, now come and see the sets" and you are undermining all their efforts!!! But seriously I do appreciate your replies and take them onboard and thank you for your honesty.

Kathryn, after "googling" I believe the Legend will be at the Long Beach Dock. (all Carnival ships will berth at Long Beach-not San Pedro)

We could meet at: The Queen Mary!!! Hotel, that is. Wouldn't that be fun? "She's" docked at Long Beach. I've not visited with anyone that has stayed there, but I think it would be an adventure.

Martita

LAX has been horrific since 9/11 and is getting worse......however from the UK I doubt you have much choice. We were there 12 months ago, arrived at 7pm for a midnight flight (with an 8 year old in tow) and finally taxied down the runway ay 3am! Getting IN to LAX wasnt too bad, it was getting OUT that was the problem....all the luggage is xrayed and examined so much, they just cant get all the passengers through in time. I am all for as much security as they can come up with, but they need more staff, more room....more ~something~:confused:

We had to fill in one day in Los Angeles on our way home, so stayed at the LAX Hilton and just did one of those "see everything in a day bus tours". It filled in a day, and now we can say "seen LA". Been to California 4 times, but had never actually "seen" anything much! Then of course there are all the theme parks....Disneyland (I love it!!) and the new California Adventure, Universal Studios etc.

BTW Norm...its just "Manns Chinese Theatre" now.

GrannyLorr, you fill me with such confidence!! Luckily for us it is arriving in LA and departing from Miami, now arriving in Miami is a different proposition altogether!At the moment I am thinking fly to LA, taxi to Queen Mary and then board Legend!!

LAX will be the only choice if you are coming non-stop from the UK. The ship will probably be in Long Beach, and that is not too far from LAX.

L.A. has never been my favorite place to visit for any extended period of time, but having friends and relatives residing there, we have spent a great deal more time there than I would have liked. (I prefer Northern California, or San Diego further south.)

Having said that, if you've never been, there still is some things worth seeing and experiencing, if nothing but the beautiful weather and ever blooming flowers.

I certainly would skip Disney, as it is small compared to the newer parks, and quite crowded, and also skip Universal Studios, unless you have teens with you. But if you at least bit interested in "real" studios, Paramount offers a nice semi private walking tour, and Warner Brothers a private tour, where you see where a lot of TV shows are filmed and get a feel of what goes into film making.

I am not a shopper, but Beverly Hills does have some great shops, and the Melrose area also.

I understand the humor in our "lack" of history, but the relatively new Getty Art Museum can hold a candle to some of the older, more established museums elsewhere. Whether one likes the collection or, not, the museum itself is an attraction, with lovely gardens, and vistas that go from the sea to downtown LA.

Even if you spend only a night, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by what there is.

You won't know if you don't try.

Sea-hawk.

Kathryn, would you have ever guessed that I enjoy adventure? I think the Queen Mary Hotel rooms are small, but they are still appointed with the old "Liner" type fixtures, bathes, etc.

Once, I would like to stay on "Her" .....just the fact of re-living some maritime history.

I actually haven't booked, but am seriously thinking of calling my T.A.

Wouldn't we have a fun time? We need to twist Denyse and Ken's arms and legs to join us.......L.A. would be perfect for them!

MB

>"We have just booked 24 days Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale on OUR Legend."

Just last week, I just booked that one as well. I can't wait; all the ports, except for Acapulco, are new to me. I think it has a nice mix of sea and port days.

Not to worry about finding me at the Sky Bar, because now I can find you two, if need be. I was jsut excited to meet you both. And, after all, I think you were having a wardrobe malfunction of the greatest magnitude, right?

I would consider a day or two in LA, there is plenty to see and if it's your first time, you can go to Venice Beach, Universal Studios, and take a tour of the 'stars' homes. I personally plan to look for Richard Gere at the Regent Beverly Wiltshire. <G>

Kathryn,

You and Brian can't come all the way from the UK to California without stopping first in San Francisco and visiting us!!! It's just not legal!!!

Skip LA...fly to SFO first!

Denyse (and Ken)

Matt.....I believe I have "sight saw" in Los Angeles all that I can bear.:confused: For me, taxi-ing to the ship from the Airport would be ideal.:p

Daneite, we might ask on the board for an alternate airport as I don't care for LAX.

I don't even know where the Legend will berth.????:rolleyes:

MB

Actually, Martha, Long Beach is the closest airport.

Denyse

Hi all,

Here is my two cents...You must do a couple of days in the LA area. As mentioned earlier the Getty Museum is astounding. ON our way to Australia 2 years ago I did a free stopover in LA just so I can go to the museum. The DIsney Concert Hall, designed by Frank Gehry is also amazing. Beverly Hills is great as is just renting a car and driving through Bel Aire, Brentwood, etc.

Down in Long Beach you do have the original Queen Mary to visit and of course, there is always Disneyland (50th anniversary party going on now) as well as Knotts Berry Farm (actually I'll pass on that one)

Great restaurants in Bev. Hill & LA including Lawry's which was based on Simpson's on the Strand in London.

What ever you do, you'll have the Legend waiting for you.....

Bon voyage

Cruisr,

With all due respect, I would pass on Lowry's, which is part of a chain and not very exciting. There are better restaurants in the Beverly Hills/LA area than that one, and better ones still in San Francisco;)

Denyse.

Archived