Monarch vs Paradise

joeyancho

I am contemplating a short weekend cruise out of LA. We are loyal RCCL customers (10 cruises) but we are a little concerned with the condition of the Monarch. Could someone who has sailed both the Monarch and the Paradise please give me a fair comparison of the two ships. I am mainly concerned with the appearance of the ships. I have sailed Carnival 6 times and am aware of the onboard experience. Thank you in advance.

The paradise was "gaudy" IMO. It looked as if it were decorated in brightly colored plastic.....

The Monarch is just a ship... it's not the higher end RCCL classes but it is solid and offers some spectacular spots onboard.

I would always choose RCCL over Carnival.

I think both ships are equally elderly...

I've sailed on both ships and would never again even consider the Paradise. The Monarch was totally renovated in 2003 and will be coming out of a short drydock later this month. The ship is far superior to the Paradise in every area except cabin size. If you're looking for a cabin that's more than just 4 walls with a bed, then I suggest the SO category. If not, the lower categories are fine for a short cruise, but they are tiny (119 sq ft).

The Monarch is the best choice for the 3/4 day cruises from LA.

I suspect that if you ask the question on the Carnival Board, you'll get the opposite response. I'm a loyal RCI cruiser (Platinum) and I loved my 4-night cruise on the Monarch - so much so that I'm taking my parents on the same cruise in May. However, one of my shipmates, on the last Monarch cruise is a regular Carnival cruiser. I lurked on her Roll Call Board, for her next cruise, and noted that she reported how much more she liked Carnival.

So, I guess the answer to your question depends on who you ask. Since you asked on the RCI Board, not surprisingly, I recommend the Monarch. I'm really excited about the dry dock changes. I like sushi, but I'll take Johnny Rockets over Jade, for a short cruise! It was also reported that the elevators are being improved (which was really my only gripe about the condition of the ship).

Either way, have a fun cruise!

I have to agree with ladylawyer...........but one of the big differences between the ships is going to be the age difference. Carnival is known for being the "party boat". My DW tells me, from her past experiences, that Carnival starts you with a welcome drink....and from there it's noise and party fun. Obviously, many people love the theme, or Carnival would change it.

The Monarch is also a fun ship, just maybe for a little older crowd. I don't know how anyone could be more "ribald" than Quest. There is no better ship to experience Quest than the Monarch!

Paradise is a cash cow for Carnival as Monarch is for RCCL. Each ship is uniquely designed for a different crowd.

Rick

I sailed the Monarch on a 4 night western carribean route a couple years ago out of Fort Lauderdale. I was amazed at how nice the ship was... both in terms of how well kept it was and how well laid out. I loved the pool deck and how spacious that area was.

The food, entertainment, and nightlife was great and I never felt that I was on an "older" or "second class ship".

And it was amazing, since we got an ocean view room for two plus direct airfare from Boston... for $900.00 *TOTAL*. This was just after the 9/11 attacks.

I've also sailed Carnival.... Destiny and Triumph... both *great* (though similar!) ships. Again... the food and entertainment were very comparable to Royal Carribean. The only *slight* complaint about the Carnival was that by the last day... the cleanliness of the ship suffered..... dirty bathrooms.. hallways... etc.

I've also sailed on Disney and the RCCL Mariner .. both were awesome.

I've never sailed on the Paradise... but I'd definitely sail on the Monarch again and would certainly consider Carnival again as well.

Cheers....

Gusman

Don't think Royal Caribbean offers BOOTHS in their main dining room. If I am going to get all dressed up I am not going to slide over in it. I find that and the neon tacky. However, I would cruise Carnival, just wouldn't take it as serious and dress down a bit.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I have to agree with ladylawyer...........but one of the big differences between the ships is going to be the age difference. Carnival is known for being the "party boat". My DW tells me, from her past experiences, that Carnival starts you with a welcome drink....and from there it's noise and party fun. Obviously, many people love the theme, or Carnival would change it.

Rick

Ehh... it depends. I've had week long cruises on Carnival where my fellow passengers were considerably less rowdy than the crew I just sailed with on Navigator for the New Year. That being said, on a Carnival short cruise I'm sure you'll find a rowdy, party bunch.

Not sure about this "welcome drink" business though... never saw that in my 9 Carnival cruises.

Archived