Calica/PDC

PINEVIEW01

I'm posting this on this board as, I'm leaving April 9th. There are several ? hanging on the port of calls board. So, I'll try here.

1. Distance & Taxi/bus fare from Calica to; xel-ha, xcaret.

2.Someone mentioned bus coming and going to ship/Xcaret. Do you pay each time you go back and forth or is it included in cost of ship and/or park fees?

3.Xel-ha all-inclusive good value or not? What does it include? Do you book on line, at the gate, or on the ship(which I've never done before)?

See how confused I am by this stop. It will be me and my 18 year old daughter and she "just wants to snorkal."

HELP, please!

Melody

Paradise, 9-5-04

Holiday, 4-10-04

Inspiration, 11-30-03

Inspiration, 1-26-03

Victory,3-31-02

Sensation, 11-28-98

Holiday, 3-19-94

Melody, I would LOVE to help you out here, but the only thing I did when we docked at Calica was take a taxi to Playa del Carmen.

I know there are lots of taxis at Calica, but I didn't see any bus.

Maybe if I shoot this back to the top, somebody can help....? Have a great cruise!

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

well I don't know about your excursion but whatever you do plan to get away from that hellhole as soon as possible. It is without a doubt the worst port I've seen on the 8 cruises I've been on. Its a dusty old salt mine with unpaved roads-truly an embarrassment to the cruise industry. My eyes and throat burned for days after visiting Calica and all we did was exit in a taxi. My son and I enjoyed the beach at Playa del Carmen but I'd just as soon pass on Calica.

sorry that I can't be of more help also. We were just in Calica while on the Celebration. We chose to see the ruins in Tuluum, so we rented a car and went on our own, driving past Xel-Ha and Xcaret signs on the highway en route to Tuluum. I can tell you that there were a lot of taxis waiting to take people where they wanted, however we are a family of 5 and according to the drivers there, the law prohibits them from taking 5 in a standard taxi and they had no van taxis avail. Good luck, I'm sure you can easily get there and back, just don't know the cost. Also, don't fret too much---if nothing else, they will have a "talk" on the ship about the ports of call prior to getting there and they will do their best to sell you on their excursions!

Penny

Disney Magic Eastern 7/2003

Spring Break 5 days onboard Celebration! Mar 22 '04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;03;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Aug 1 '04 Carnival Elation--Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Not sure how much help I can be, but 2 years ago we took a taxi from the port to Xel-Ha. I think it took about 30 minutes and I believe it costs $30.00. Having been to both Xel-Ha and Xcaret I can't tell that there is that much difference between the two. I don't remember the cost of getting in at Xel-Ha, but I believe it was pretty expensive. The bus from the port to Xcaret is about $50 or $60 including entrance fees. IMHO Xcaret was as good as Xel-Ha and much easier to get back and forth to. Of course if you have been to Xcaret and want something different then Xel-Ha is a good trip. I talked to several people that had done the combined Tulum and Xel-Ha and they were not happy with that tour because they did not have long enough at either place. Sorry i can't be of any more help.

Barbara

• 9 months later...
I'm posting this on this board as, I'm leaving April 9th. There are several ? hanging on the port of calls board. So, I'll try here.

1. Distance & Taxi/bus fare from Calica to; xel-ha, xcaret.

2.Someone mentioned bus coming and going to ship/Xcaret. Do you pay each time you go back and forth or is it included in cost of ship and/or park fees?

3.Xel-ha all-inclusive good value or not? What does it include? Do you book on line, at the gate, or on the ship(which I've never done before)?

See how confused I am by this stop. It will be me and my 18 year old daughter and she "just wants to snorkal."

HELP, please!

Melody

Paradise, 9-5-04

Holiday, 4-10-04

Inspiration, 11-30-03

Inspiration, 1-26-03

Victory,3-31-02

Sensation, 11-28-98

Holiday, 3-19-94

Melody!

I know this is an old post but I couldn't help but notice that you went last year at exactly the same time I'm interested in going this year and I wanted to pick your brain if that's okay?

My DH and I have never cruised and we're looking to go on the Holiday in April. We haven't decided which destination just yet and Calica is one of the choices with Costa Maya being the other. Could you let me know what you think???

Any advice would really be welcome - thanks!!!

Stephanie

XCaret was very nice and is a 10-minute drive from Calica in a bus that runs all day. The cost was about $50/pp from the ship and included the bus. We did Xcaret from about 10-4 and as the ship was in port until 10pm, we took a $10 taxi each way to Playa Del Carmen (also a 10-minute drive) and shopped there - it was cheaper than Cozumel for tequila and trinkets so do your shopping there if you have time. By the way, XCaret is non-inclusive - no food or drink included and it's pretty pricey there - $10-$15/pp for a meal at the restaurant. But, the underground river is free as are all the beach areas and chairs. You just pay for food/drink and any extras like a dolphin swim. We really enjoyed it.

This time, I don't see that our ship offers a Tulum/Xel-ha excursion, maybe because we're only there from 7-4. So, I think we'll take a taxi to Tulum and maybe stop at Xel-ha on the way back. Should still be much cheaper than a ship's excursion. And, we were in Tulum 25 years ago and it was gorgeous then. As for distance, Tulum looks like it's about 50 miles away (south) and Xel-ha looks about 30 miles away (south).

Archived