Thoughts from Grandeur 1/12/19 sailing

CFIGuy

My mom was in 7652, and either 7654 or 7656 also had issues.  Seemed to be more some on the Caribbean days (lower speeds).

As for the trivia, it seems that each staff member makes their own trivia on their own time.

Can you expand a bit on the Windjammer offerings? You mentioned that more variety would have been welcome. 

We really liked the WJ on our last Grandeur cruise (2017) and were disappointed last month when the Vision was nowhere close. I wasn't sure if things had changed over time or if it was a ship-to-ship difference.

I agree that B2B cruisers dominating trivia is a problem. That was one plus for the Vision! There didn't seem to be anyone playing who had heard all the questions before. 

My husband earned the wrath of a guy on the Celebrity Reflection once by being the first one to beat him in weeks...But he won fair and square.

Edited by schlimazel_traveler

I think that some ship’s Windjammer dinner service is better than others.  Serenade (by and far the best) and Anthem come to mind.  Serenade had cook to order chicken/fish/steak nightly, made to order crepes and dessert waffles, and typically one other chef station.  Anthem had an Indian night that was out of this world, also with a chef station.  

But, the fleet, by and large could benefit from some variety for breakfast and lunch.  Some examples for breakfast, ethnic choices (other than congee & English breakfast) to include Maduros (sweet plantains), Huevos Rancheros, Chilaquiles, Migas, and other varieties of dishes.  

Same thing for lunch, easy to do themes, bbq (pork & chicken bbq, ribs, etc) - how I miss the poolside BBQ on sea days, Round the World lunch?  Just something other than the typical salad bar, pizza, hamburger/hot dog, fries, etc

I really do think that if RCI increased their food cost slightly (as they did with their pizza), the results would be incredible.  

I should mention that Park Cafe on multiple days had pork for the normal Roast Beef sandwiches, and on a couple of days were out of the traditional hard rolls.

We are from New England and loved the Grandeur out of Baltimore.

Flights are oftentimes a pain. It’s wonderful to cruise out of Florida or San Juan but the flight is oftentimes stressful. Weather delays and the airlines canceled flights.

Out of Baltimore you meet the nicest southern people. So gracious. The Grandeur is an older ship but the staff is friendly and service is excellent.

We have cruised out of Bayonne and New York and Boston. Each has a different vibe. Looking forward to another great cruise on Grandeur soon.

Many thanks for original post. Great info.