Insurance change by TA

ebedore

Also, since you are not getting what you paid for, i.e. trip insurance with pre existings conditions covered. Where is the money you paid? They cannot stick you with insurance that does not cover your needs.

As many others have said--INSURANCE COMMISSIONER, I'm a retired insurance agent--not trip insurance-- and state IC's love to have on their record various instances where they helped the public. Re-election comes around often. icon_wink.gif

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

The Travel Agency cancelled the policy with CSA. This TA now offers a different company but because I didn't originally book with them, they will not waive the pre-existing clause.

YES, pre-existing conditions are top priority right now and unfortunately the only potential problem with the trip. Travel interuption is minor since we are flying down the day prior and medical evacuation is not that important because my credit card offers a huge coverage without cost. It is simply failing health of family members that is the problem.

I have the original plan with CSA and the receipt but CSA says that Plan is null and void and needs to be rewritten. They will not waive the pre-existing clause.

Yes, I am way out from the cruise. I paid $899 + 40.19 in January and now the rates are $1049 + 40.19tax. That's huge when it is times four people.

I am sad that this is happening.

You are right when you say I need to just cancel and rebook. I will be harmed but it is not so bad as losing the whole thing should something happen. That's what insurance is for.

I will write to Carnival, CLIA, both insurance companies, and the TA. I'm hoping that Carnival can come through and help me out on this but I don't see much of a reason they would; they'll be better off if I rebook at a higher fare.

I'm sure I'm not the only one caught in this mess. It can easily slip past if one doesn't read the fine print of the proposed replacement policy.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll update if there's an update to give.

Dan - I'm not sure this is an insurance board issue and if it is which one (the TA in Florida, their new owner in Massachuseetes, or my home in Michigan)?

Chris - good advice about "who cares about upgrades now" except we all hold out dreams of being top on whatever list there is. If I do rebook, I lose $600...if I don't and nothing happens I am happy as a clam. If I don't and medical issues worsen (and they are worsening already) I lose $4200. Many people around the office are telling me to not worry about what might happen... I tend to think I would buy insurance to not worry about the what might happens.

I'm now concerned about the "one time per date" statement made above. Perhaps I am destined to keep this black cloud over my head regardless of any action I take.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean

So the TA cancelled the insurance, that you had paid for, without your knowledge or permission?

One word: Fraud.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

CementShoes,

You don't need special insurance if you have these special conditions. What you do need to do is buy your insurance as soon as you book your cruise to be covered for these "pre-existing" conditions.

ebedore,

I would make your travel agent who canceled the insurance without telling you pay the difference in rebooking. It was their fault you are in this situation, not yours. Most agents are supposed to have an "errors and omissions" insurance policy for when THEY screw up.

Good Luck!

Bill

1a.jpg

Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise page

Tef43 - You got the word right.

CementShoes - If you get the insurance at the time of booking (or within a very short time afterwards... like 10 - 21 days) most Travel Insurance carriers waive the pre-existing clause. That was what I bargained for and thought I had until the TA "fraudulantly" cancelled it without my consent or knowledge and is not offering an equal replacement.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

I've written an offline email to another famous cruise critic board memeber LEGALCAT for advice. I cannot wait for what she has to say about it.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Yep. This is ALL on the TA. Tef is right. That's blatant Fraud, of the highest order.

130 days of cruising!

CCL Celebration (2), CCL Holiday (2), CCL Jubilee (2), Dolphin IV, StarShip Majestic, CCL Mardi Gras, NCL Star (original), CCL Tropicale, CCL Ecstasy, CCL Imagination, CCL Sensation, NCL Starward, CCL Victory, NCL Sky, Grand Princess, HAL Zuiderdam, CCL Conquest, NCL Sea, Sun Princess.

ebedore,

I would start with your home state IC, then try the Fl. office and if necessary the Mass. IC too.

I never in my insurance career cancelled anyones policy without a written notice from them that they wished to cancel. Not certain that I legally could although I know that I actually could cancel a policy. Never had it come up to cancel a policy that a client wanted.

You might approach your commissioners office with the story that out of state people are not doing right by a M. resident. (Went to Ohio State, can't write out the M word. Woody would come back and kill me) icon_biggrin.gif

Same with Fl IC. The Mass co. not doing right with insurance purchased in Fl.

I think the Insurance Commissioners are the first way to go before you start thinking legal recourse ($$$$)

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

I know when I purchased my travel insurance, I had the option of buying a special plan that included pre-existing conditions....obviously - it was more money ($100 more). You should look into this option - and have the TA's company make up the difference. This should be their problem...not yours.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Paradise 6/27

Lady Spoilt - I won't say the name but they are the biggest national travel agency and they sell Only Cruises.

As Chris said we are speaking in code. I would not have guessed a company of this size and reputation would do something like this. I have loved their service since 1996. First problem I have ever had or even heard of.

Originally posted by ebedore:

Lady Spoilt - I won't say the name but they are the biggest national travel agency and they sell Only Cruises.

Yikes, knowing the number of people they book, I suspect we may well be hearing a lot about this!

Spoilt

Till CONQUEST family and friends cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

TILL LadySpoilt BECOMES A FULL FLEDGED ROYAL HOUND

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ljrfrm:

I know when I purchased my travel insurance, I had the option of buying a special plan that included pre-existing conditions....obviously - it was more money ($100 more). You should look into this option - and have the TA's company make up the difference. This should be their problem...not yours.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! Find out who this poster used for their travel insurance company and make the TA cough up the money to pay for it.

However, one thing I don't understand. YOU were the owner of this insurance policy, NOT the TA. The TA merely acted as an agent. I also would be asking CSA why they allowed the TA, who did not pay for this policy and who was not the policyholder.. to cancel it? This wasn't the TA's policy! CSA shouldn't have allowed them to cancel it in my opinion. Again, I'd be very interested in what an insurance commissioner would have to say about this situation.

Atom.gif

Next Cruise! Miracle 2/13/05

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

Fellow poster LegalCat has offered me some advice and terrific information:

"Part of your problem is that some travel agents do not actually pay for the insurance until you make final payment.. so you probably would not have actually been covered by CSA until you actually made your final payment, I have come across this situation before, and I think this is what happened in your case. The TA wants to get all of their own money up front... rather than paying the travel insurance up front".

I'm following up with a stern letter but liekly will end up empty handed.

So all that is left is another lesson learned and shared amongst cruise critic members. icon_wink.gif

I just emailed my "good" TA (not the one I used for the Paradise cruise fortunately) at this agency and asked her about this and this is what she said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No policies are cancelled. We now have a new policy and if you have NOT paid for the insurance, you will be buying a policy with Berkeley. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do know that I didn't actually pay for my insurance until I made my final payment with them because I was outside the penalty period - maybe thats what happened to you as well.

Barb

View the AOS May 2nd Conga Line Picture Website

Join the Conga Line! Send your info to me at boliver@thevine.net

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Adventure of the Seas - 25th Anniversary Cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Paradise June 13,2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;4;19;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800  Till my baby girl comes home from So. Africa!

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Diane
Check out our cruise pictures:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/thebowers"]http://community.webshots.com/user/thebowers[/url]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] 'Til the Navigator
Again!

Carnival Fantasy 7/28/2000
Carnival Triumph 9/22/2001
Carnival Imagination 4/21/2002
Carnival Triumph 5/29/2002
Carnival Legend 9/20/2002 (Inaugural)
Explorer of the Seas 10/19/2002
Navigator of the Seas 12/10/2002 (Inaugural)
Explorer of the Seas 12/14/2002
Navigator of the Seas 5/03/2003
Adventure of the Seas 7/27/2003
Serenade of the Seas 8/23/2003 (Inaugural)
Mariner of the Seas 11/12/2003 (Inaugural)
Mariner of the Seas 12/14/2003 (Golden Anchor Cruise!)
Navigator of the Seas 4/10/2004
Caribbean Princess 5/22/2004
Star Princess 11/21/2004

If I made it clear to my TA that preexisting conditions were an issue and the policy needed to be purchased when I made my deposit and then it wasn't, I would be one unhappy camper!

[email="BrneyznFL@aol.com"][img]http://www.bigotis.com/Glory/Atom.gif[/img][/email]

Next Cruise! Miracle 2/13/05

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

Someone asked who I used for travel insurance, that gave the option to add a pre-existing condition clause. It was actually CSA - my TA gave me their web site and I booked it directly through them. There were two additional coverages I could buy at an additional cost...one was for acts of terrorism and the other was to cover pre-existing conditions. I believe it was $99 extra (or possibly $100). They never asked me online when I purchased my cruise, so I don't think it matters that you're already booked - I still think you could purchase that pre-existing condition clause and "ask" the TA to cover that additional expense. If they don't, I would purchase it anyway. If you have something going on that could cause you to cancel your cruise - isn't the piece of mind worth the extra money knowing you're covered "in case". And, I also believe you should report this somewhere and have it followed up on - not sure where the right place is..but if it were me I wouldn't let it drop. Good luck.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Paradise 6/27

Question - did you actually pay for the insurance up front(deposit and insurance)?

--Tybug--

10-01 Imagination
02-02 Sovereign of the Seas
10-02 Inspiration
01-03 Majesty of the Seas
04-03 Inspiration
10-03 NCL Dawn
02-04 Rhapsody of the Seas
05-04 Majesty of the Seas
10-04 Mariner of the Seas

Not all products are available in every state. Michigan has a very active insurance commissioner. I agree with the suggestion to contact them. They enforce the rules and as the poster above said, they are generally very consumer friendly(I know I work on the other side and the insurance department can be a big pain even when the insurance company is right).

To the OP, I have just had the same thing happen to me with the same TA. Before they were taken over, My agent who is no longer there and now all you get is a CSR said and he was honest about it that you do not need to purchase the CSA plan 1337-A plan until or before final payment to waive the pre-existing coditions. I see It didn't matter whether I purchased it or not at time of deposit, But it is on my Invoice Ie: CSA for 2 and amount with the total of the cruise..... I have been on the phone all day with this TA and CSA and it seems from what CSA has told me there are a slew of people this happened to and CSA Supervisors and higher ups are trying to come up with a solution and or new plan to help those that were supposed to get plan 1337-A..... The TA That believe me I made A stink from here in FLA to boston said they will be calling CSA to see if they can come to some sort of solution... Maybe you helped in this.... Hope more people complain..... This is not right, I would have purchased Cruise Insurance with another within 14 days of deposit if I knew of this... I booked this cruise back in Nov. 2003... Ya think I'm WAY out of the 14 day period....

[img]http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/icon_beer.gif[/img]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
UNTIL OUR NEXT ADVENTURE

Adventure of The Seas 11/14/04
Enchantment of the Seas 11/1/03
Sovereign of the Seas 11/28/02
SS Oceanic (Big Red Boat) 10/98

didn't you say the one with the pre existing condition was a non traveling family member? if so, the CSA silver plan, bought any time before final payment, covers pre existing conditions....if that person dies or needs your care so you cannot travel, it's covered.

kerry dee ambler

I don't know how this is going to end but it sure has been educational

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/04
Star Princess 10/04
Carnival Spirit 12/04

Another thing that people may not know about the pre-existing condition waiver unless they read the really fine print is that there are some exceptions.

Here's an excerpt from one well-known travel insurance company, but I believe they all have these exclusions:

1) use of drugs, narcotics or alcohol, unless administered upon the advice of a Physician;
2) mental, psychological or nervous disorders including, but not limited to, anxiety, depression, neurosis or psychosis

Archived