Obsessed and Anti-climax???

Hi Guys

Is it just me, or do some of you read these boards every day and several times a day to see whats occurring? Do you avidly look for threads about the particular ship you will be going on? This is driving me crazy. Its like being on a roller coaster.

I get so excited when I see someone has posted a report on LOS and cant wait to read it and then when the report is not so good its like coming down from a great big high. I am sure this constant up and down is not good for me.

Also, since I booked for next June last August (10 months to wait) I have been so excited and I have to try and control myself. Has anyone ever experienced what I am going through, then the big day arrives, only to met with a total disappointment or meets with expectations.

I know a holiday is what you make it but we are paying (well for us anyway) a lot of money for our cruise next year I just dont want it to be a disappointment. I have cruised once before on Explorer and that holiday was the very best holiday for me (hubby thought it was pretty good too and says apart from when we went to Jamaica to get married at Sandals it would be the best for him). I know LOS is not as big nor does it have all the facilities that Explorer had but I just hope that it does meet with our expectations.

I'm looking on these boards several times a day as well, whenever I get a small break here at work. I can honestly say I learn something new every day too so it isn't a waste of my time. LOL I'm one of those people who generally have something planned for my next 2 vacations! I don't like to be without a plan. I like to read everything too, good stuff and bad. I like to be totally prepared on what to expect. If I need to know that I might be in for something bad then I want to know.

I am just as addicted to the boards as many others. I first became familiar with them about 4 years ago and just can't stop clicking on. I have learned so much(both good and bad). My day would not be complete without having checked to see what is new.

Jarronwood- I sailed through the Panama Canal on the Legend a few years ago and loved this ship. Since she has been refurbished, I am anxious to see what is new. Will be sailing next week and will let you know.

Ummm, my name is Herb and I'm a cruise-a-holic. Pretty much ever since I found this board, I've been on it a couple times a day. Sailed on Grandeur last October for the first pleasure cruise. Planning another this year and hopefully ramp up to two a year after that. I've actually bought RCL stock, that's the ticker symbol, because I found a thread that shows you get special perks if you own 100 shares or more! Yep, I think I might as well learn to live with my affliction. Sigh! LOL. :cool:

Herb

Jarronwood,

Relax, take a deep breath......................................NOW GET ALL EXCITED AGAIN YOUR GOING ON A CRUISE.

We too get on that roller coaster, just came off a cruise and we are again book, but must wait another 345 days.

BUT WE ARE EXCITED WE ARE BOOKED ON A CRUISE.

I will too join the ranks of the cruise addicted! :D And a proud member at that!! It's been almost 2.5 years since our last cruise and our next is in 37 days and I'm about to pop.

I've done the same thing...search for Grandeur reviews...read reviews...if there is bad news try to rationalize it :) If there is good news celebrate:D ....come back again later and do it all over again.

But being on these boards keeps me married so I guess I'll keep coming back...lol

These boards are VERY addictive. It is great to learn a little of the bad and a lot of the good about each ship. I've been mainly concerned with the Brilliance because we will be on her in just a few days {FINALLY}. I didn't think it would ever get here, but I'm sure that as soon as we board the time will speed up. The trouble with the cruises is they are always too short. Will keep checking the board at least once a day to find any new tid-bits of info.

I'm totally obsessed with cruising. We have been doing it AT LEAST twice a year for the last 3 years now, lest often before.

However, I am such a Type A personality that I can't stand to wait for a cruise.

We always go on relatively short notice. We're going on Voyager of the Seas in 2 weeks, but only booked it after Christmas.

I couldn't stand to book a cruise 9 months to a year out!

Remember when you were in grammar school and it was the last day of the year? You'd just sit there and watch the clock ticking way, second by second. It was like living in slow motion. That's what it's like to me before a cruise.

Happy waiting...and sailing.

lilrhody, We were on the Explorer last September. It was our best cruise yet. The crew is the most happy and helpful I have ever had the pleasure to cruise with. The ship looked great and has been in drydock since. You will have a great time.

We sailed Legend of the Seas in March and did encounter a few problems on our cruise. I hate to tell you these negative comments about LOS, but it had nothing to do with the ship itself--more about customer service and a bad waiter. Our big problem was that we had a table for 2. Our waiter was so preoccupied with the large table next to us that he totally ignored us. After 3 nights of our ten night cruise, we gave up on the dining room and began eating in the buffet--which is not my idea of fine dining. The food on LOS was much too salty and overcooked during the first half of the cruise. After I spoke with other passengers who felt the same way, I ran into the Director of Food & Beverage and mentioned it to him. The food did taste better on the second half of the cruise.

The the indoor pool in the solarium is fabulous on LOS. I liked it even more than the one on the new Jewel of the Seas, which is also very nice. RCCL definetely outshines other cruiselines when it comes to solariums--especially nice when sailing out of a cool climate port because it is heated, or even a hot weather port because it is also airconditioned. The A/C was nice in Hawaii when you need a break from the hot sun.

We are sailing Explorer for the first time in October. Let me know if you have any tips. I am curious about sailing such a large ship. Hope all the people don't make me feel crowded poolside.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

It's really easy to get seriously wrapped up in all of the information about your cruise. It IS a lot of money to most people, and of course you want to get your moneys worth.

In terms of message boards like this one, I think many of the negative posts about any vacation come from misaligned expectations. For instance, I don't go on a cruise expecting the food in the main dining room to be the same cuisine I get at a fine restaurant. They're serving 1000 people at a time, a seemingly impossible task, but they get it done, and for me, the vast majority of the food on cruises I've experienced has been quite good.

I've talked to people on cruises who appear to be looking for anything and everything that's wrong, and having no qualms about expressing it to anyone who will listen. Guess what, seek and ye shall find! :)

For me, it's all about managing expectations. I go on a vacation EXPECTING to have a great time, and expecting that the small stuff won't bother me.

I weigh really negative posts, and exceptionally glowing posts with less weight than the balanced posts, and most of all I keep in mind that this is someone elses opinion, and that my experience could well be completely different.

Like another poster said - You're going on a cruise! You're going to have a great time.

My advice:

You've done your research, made your decision based on sound criteria, so now's the time to have fun with it. Keep your enthusiasm high, enjoy the planning, don't look back, and don't let anyone throw a wet blanket on it.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. :)

Have a great cruise!

Bill

Thanks for that advice, Very true.

The only real thing I can see about the cruise being spoilt is not having a lounger on my aft balcony. But nearer the cruise if people are posting that RCCL are not providing loungers on those afts, especially LOS, then I will provide my own.

I only booked and paid the extra t0 be able to spread out on a sun bed in private, just chilling.

Archived