upgraded, what do you book for a family of 5?

hummer88

We are headed out on the seaside in March with our friends who have 5 in their family.  

When we were looking at options, I noticed that there was an inside wellness room (I think only 2 on the ship) that said it accommodated five, so we booked it.  When we were on the ship last March, I wanted to get a look at it and when I was taking a peak and talking to the room attendant, he said they can only sleep 4.  The sofa that was in the room did not pull out or turn to a bunk bed, which would have then accomodated the 5 people.  

Last month when we were checking our booking on the MSC website, the family of 5 room changed from the specific room we booked to an inside wellness guarantee.  Wanting to be on the same deck as our friends, we contacted our TA.

After a few days, we were told that the occupancy in that area of the ship was too high for safety standards and they are now assigned a SJ3 (Aurea suite with whirlpool).  We also had to change our room to be closer to them, but we could only move as close as one room over but two decks down.

We are excited for their upgrade, as it is their first cruise, but looking forward, what do families of 5 book if they do not want to spend crazy amounts of money.  I would have thought every ship has some rooms for 5 people, but I have never really looked that much.

We have booked two suites for our family of five in the past. We're cruising Seaside June 29th and have two Yacht Club suites booked this time. But the Seaside does have what they call Super Family Plus suites that can sleep up to 10 people.

That’s a great upgrade!  As a family of 5 also, I’ve yet to find a cheap way to cruise! Ships have limited rooms for 5 and they tend to be expensive, suites and book early.  I was really pleased at Christmas to snap up a superfamily cabin on the Meraviglia for August.  This is a balcony cabin with a small inside cabin attached, but costs roughly the same as paying for 4 full price adults! 

We’ve also had a family cabin on  Magnifica - again not a cheap option though as it was an Aurea cabin.

Thanks!!  The super family plus rooms look great.  I picked a random date to price out and it looks like the first adult is $4300 and each person, regardless of adult or child is $333 each.  Does that make sense?  A family of 9 prices out to 6774!?!?