Mendenhall Glacier

elmirarocks

The cheapest way is the public bus. We rented a car and had a wonderfull day driving to eagle beach (saw lots of bald eagles) after that we drove to mendenhall. Was also an economic option since we are a family of four and I believe the rental was about 100 dollars).

Edited by MMJJOli4
s

If you take the public bus, it is a 1.5 mile walk from the bus stop to the Mendenhall Visitor Center, which may not be "easy" for some. The walk is a decent sidewalk with views of the glacier along the way.

I agree with others.  Most economical is the bus, but it involves significant walking time/energy you might want to save for the actual glacier area, plus the added time of a meandering public bus.  If you're in a group of 3-4 and want to see other things, renting a car might be a great way to go.  The shuttle buses, last I heard, were about $30 round trip, per person, but one year I bargained them down 50%.  If you're in a group of 3-4, a taxi might be a better deal than the shuttle.  

I do recommend Mendenhall Glacier.  Some photos of my trips:

https://www.melindabrasher.com/2011/08/mendenhall-glacier.html

https://www.melindabrasher.com/2014/09/juneau-alaska.html  

I would rent a car from Juneau car rental. It's a pretty long walk from the bus stop to the visitors center. With a car you can do other things like drive out to the Shine of St. Therese. With a car your a lot more flexible. We have been to Alaska many times and have rented a car.

Edited by Eaglecw