Vancouver BC park, sleep & cruise pkg.

mmpadp

This will be my first cruise out of Vancouver BC.  We are driving, so I would like to find a park, sleep and cruise package.  Any recommendations?  I am also toying with the idea of just parking a Canada Place. Is that an easy place to park?  

Parking at Canada Place is easy, very easy in fact even compared to some other ports as the car park is inside the same building, upstairs from the passenger processing area. But it ain't cheap - in comparison to park/sleep/fly options, or even just a DIY 'go park at the airport long stay then take SkyTrain downtown.'

I can't personally vouch for (or against) any particular hotels as I can walk to the pier so it's simply never been something I'd ever need to do personally here, but I can point you at a couple of places that do offer it. First up, and probably cheapest, is the small local chain of hotels Accent Inns - they have two around Vancouver's 'burbs, including one close to the airport, and in years past they have always offered a 'Sleep, shuttle to pier, park for up to 2 weeks' package (since cruise season is not yet upon us, it may be a while before they advertise it this year but you could call or email to check rates). The downside is that suburban location of course - if you plan to do any sightseeing during your time you'll find that you spend~90mins daily getting to and from downtown (their Burnaby hotel is actually quicker than the YVR one, being closer to the nearest SkyTrain station).

Then there's the 'hotel n parking' website that lists various cruise port hotels including some here. Last time I checked that for someone it popped mostly airport hotels again (land is much cheaper, thus parking costs likewise, outside downtown). Downtown the only hotel that offered such a deal regularly was the Coast Plaza (another small local chain) but I haven't even seen such a deal offered by Coast at any of their locations for a while. Most downtown hotels charge a lot daily for parking, so much that the pier would actually cost you less! The only exceptions I can think of are a couple of independent places nearer the park, Sunset Inn & Suites and Times Square Suites (and I think the free/cheap parking is only for while you're staying as a guest - but you could try reaching out to see if they'll let you leave the car for a week after your pre-cruise stay).

Edited by martincath

Thank you martincath, that was helpful.  Since my cruise is a back 2 back (14 days), I may take your advice, book near the airport and take the Sky Train in.  A park & cruise will be much cheaper that parking at the port for 14 days.

If it's a fortnight of parking you need I'd definitely check Accent Inns first - they're the only folks I ever recall including 14 days in their package rather than 7 with an extra charge per day over, though you do have to budget about $40 for a cab at the end (the pier shuttle was just a drop at the pier, not a pickup IIRC).

Cheapest YVR secure parking runs about $15 a day - might be a little cheaper at some off-site indy carparks, but they're more hassle to get to SkyTrain - in case you wanted to stash the car there without linking it to a hotel, so you can stay downtown e.g. at the YWCA Hotel (dirt-cheap, clean, safe, comfy and conveniently-located) for your pre-cruise sightseeing.

If you drop off bags and other pax at the hotel, then drive out to airport yourself, it's  <$10 (and if you took SkyTrain back to airport, collected car, then came back to pier for other pax and bags that would run well under $5 - so it's not worth fighting traffic outbound, better to just all go on the train with your bags!)

Edited by martincath

On 2/3/2019 at 4:28 PM, martincath said:

If it's a fortnight of parking you need I'd definitely check Accent Inns first - they're the only folks I ever recall including 14 days in their package rather than 7 with an extra charge per day over, though you do have to budget about $40 for a cab at the end (the pier shuttle was just a drop at the pier, not a pickup IIRC).

Cheapest YVR secure parking runs about $15 a day - might be a little cheaper at some off-site indy carparks, but they're more hassle to get to SkyTrain - in case you wanted to stash the car there without linking it to a hotel, so you can stay downtown e.g. at the YWCA Hotel (dirt-cheap, clean, safe, comfy and conveniently-located) for your pre-cruise sightseeing.

If you drop off bags and other pax at the hotel, then drive out to airport yourself, it's  <$10 (and if you took SkyTrain back to airport, collected car, then came back to pier for other pax and bags that would run well under $5 - so it's not worth fighting traffic outbound, better to just all go on the train with your bags!)

Last time out at YVR, I recall seeing a new long-term lot by the Skytrain at Templeton St. The website indicates CAN $110 per week to drive up, but notes discounts for booking in advance. I haven't used them, but it might be worth the OP checking out, as it will provide more hotel options.