Port Everglades to MIA - take Uber?

Revjim69

Our ship disembarks at Port Everglades early in the morning - our return flight departs out of MIA at 12:23PM. We are a family of 4 - would our best bet be to request an early disembarkation and then take Uber or Lyft to MIA airport? I am assuming we should try to be at MIA by around 9:30AM and it looks like it takes approximately 45 minutes to get from Port Everglades to MIA.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you can offer!

Welcome to the boards! 😎 

For 4 plus bags you will need UberXL or a van/SUV taxi. Fare for either will be about $75+

Unless it is an international flight you only need to arrive about 2 hours prior to departure.  Have a great cruise.

We just disembarked from the Crown at PE this past Tuesday.  We collected our bags and went thru the global entry line.  Once outside we used Lyft and we were picked up in 5 minutes.  Left at 9:30 and arrived at MIA at 10:30 since we hit traffic.

I would allow time to get thru customs if not global entry and also an hour to get to MIA.  The driver said it has been nuts lately.

We used  Lyft this time since they had a discount for new account members.

Good tip on Lyft, which we have never used before (always used Uber). We will have four carry-on bags and we have gotten by with standard Uber in the past, but it is good to know there is a UberXL option in case we are tight on space. Maybe we don't need to be at MIA a full three hours prior to our flight since we are traveling domestic. Thanks all for your advice!

On 2/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, cheeseclan said:

We just disembarked from the Crown at PE this past Tuesday.  We collected our bags and went thru the global entry line.  Once outside we used Lyft and we were picked up in 5 minutes.  Left at 9:30 and arrived at MIA at 10:30 since we hit traffic.

I would allow time to get thru customs if not global entry and also an hour to get to MIA.  The driver said it has been nuts lately.

We used  Lyft this time since they had a discount for new account members.

How much was the lyft cost??  I am trying to compare cruises and if I am paying more in transportation vs less it may make more sense for me to fly into a cheaper aiport or sail from a cheaper port etc... I was looking at cruises from FL originally then found a good deal out of Galveston but the cheapest shuttle service is running me $240 before tip!  I would rather pay more for the cruise then the ride to and from the ship!!

6 minutes ago, cheeseclan said:

With Lyft and the $5 discount and tip it averaged about $41 a leg from MIA to FL hotel and from ship back to MIA.  It was about $6 from hotel to pier with tip and discount.

How did you get the discounts? Is in automatic or did you enter a code? Thank you for your information.

8 hours ago, Carolina Girl 99 said:

John- what is the discount when using one of the codes?

I think you get $10, but there's a time limit (2 weeks?) to use it so do not sign up until you are ready to ride either local or on vacation (I'm have used both in Charleston to avoid parking issues).