Explorer 2 deluxe cabin

Hi,we think all the deluxe cabins are on the back of the ship.We have recently booked one of these on deck 9 for February 2020 and when we booked there were not many to choose from as we wanted to fly to the Caribbean from Cardiff.We had some lengthy conversations with our Tui travel agent in store as these are classed as Family cabins sleeping 4 and we were concerned about choosing and paying for this cabin and then nearer to the cruise hearing from Marella that we would have to move if a family of 4 wanted this type of cabin.We know this has happened on other Marella cruise with people being notified 3 days before they are due to board their ship.We are just hoping it won't happen to us,though Marella can't guarantee that this won't happen.

• 1 month later...

We booked and pre paid for a deluxe balcony cabin on deck 9 back in October 2018 for April 19. On Monday we got an email with details of our amended cabin details and have been moved to a balcony cabin on deck 8 with no explanation !  After numerous phone calls with no real explanation other than we can not have the cabin we pre booked and all balcony cabins are the same size just the layout that is different.

quote from an email I received tonight-

Now that we’ve taken ownership of Marella Explorer 2, we’ve discovered that your balcony isn’t as big as we thought it was and that your bed is against one wall. Don’t worry though, the cabin itself is the same size.

With those differences in mind, we’re changing the cabin category for future bookings from a Deluxe Balcony to a Deck 8 Balcony. And we’d like to offer you a refund of the difference in cabin supplement.

Oh dear,looks like we will be returning to our Tui shop and going through all the hassle of choosing another cabin.We particularly wanted a Deluxe cabin and wanted it at the back of the ship.Our TA spent ages on the phone to Marella before we found one available on the date we wanted as there was a flight out of Cardiff on that date(only 3 flights out of Cardiff between January and April 2020).We haven't even done this years cruise yet,on the Transatlantic Homecoming 28th April 2019 and I am getting stressedabout next years!!!

I hope your cabin is fine when you get on board and you have a wonderful cruise experience.

3 hours ago, abaft the beam said:

We booked and pre paid for a deluxe balcony cabin on deck 9 back in October 2018 for April 19. On Monday we got an email with details of our amended cabin details and have been moved to a balcony cabin on deck 8 with no explanation !  After numerous phone calls with no real explanation other than we can not have the cabin we pre booked and all balcony cabins are the same size just the layout that is different.

quote from an email I received tonight-

Now that we’ve taken ownership of Marella Explorer 2, we’ve discovered that your balcony isn’t as big as we thought it was and that your bed is against one wall. Don’t worry though, the cabin itself is the same size.

With those differences in mind, we’re changing the cabin category for future bookings from a Deluxe Balcony to a Deck 8 Balcony. And we’d like to offer you a refund of the difference in cabin supplement.

Yesterday I had to ring Marella as I was trying to book a balcony cabin. I was confused as the deck 8 cabin description said:  Note, these cabins have a different layout and have a double bed against the wall.  As deck 9/10 cabins have twin beds that make into one large bed, does this mean the beds on deck 8 are smaller? The lady on the phone didn't know... i eventually booked a deck 9 to be on the safe side.  As they have been booking these cabins for  months, they should have all the details.

After speaking with booking agents on telephone this week I think that being a new to them ship they have had limited detail up until now and certain assumptions have been made. From info available online it looks like balcony cabins on deck 8 have a double bed against the wall but all other cabins have 2 single beds which can be moved together to make a queen size or small double , thats how i read it anyway :). Still does not explain why I was moved from a reserved deluxe balcony/ aft cabin call it what you will on deck 9 to a different deck without notification. I only found out because I could not access the My booking section when I logged into my TUI account so had to phone to see what the problem was. The agent said I had been locked out so she enabled it and said it had been because of a cabin selection amendment to my booking !