One service Viking is lacking

ropomo

39 minutes ago, just_dont said:

That is surprising, as I've heard quite positive reviews of Viking's WiFi service, including at least one post showing quite impressive speed test results.  Makes me wonder whether it has less to do with the "internet access or speed" and more about how well the mobile providers are handling the WiFi Calling feature.  Even if both phones are connected to the same ship's WiFi, the texts do still have to ultimately go through the carrier's land-based network.

That is my point.  A local network based app on the Viking ships eliminates all of that by totally eliminating any "internet" communications.  As to speed and quality of the service, it is going to be dependent upon where the ship is, the geology (fjords, etc.), demand for internet service (number of other pax accessing), etc. given that satellite bandwidth is going to be a predefined limit, potentially grinding the performance to a snails pace.  All I know is that on prior cruises, sometimes my texts to/from my wife are nearly instantaneous while others have had up to 12 hour delays.  There is no need to argue this point.  I have simply offered a suggested service that Viking could provide that "could" enhance the pax experience.