Russia with Viking?

ural guy

Hello-   A good deal has come up for the 'Waterways of the Tsars' on Viking.  Sailing would be this August, St Peterburg to Moscow.

We've done 3 river cruises to date, one with Viking.  We've enjoyed them all, and have seen the Danube from AMS-BUD, and Rhine Basel-AMS, w/ bits of Moselle (our favorite).

I know that some people prefer other lines as you don't stay on the boat while in St P or Moscow, beating the traffic by staying downtown.

Is there enough to this to turn you away from Viking?  Any other things that would make you shy away from Viking on this route?  

I did read the sticky for Russia, which indicated not much of a difference between the individual lines stops and tours.

I've never planned to visit Russia, w/ price being a reason.  This 'appears' to be a decent price, flight included, even with getting the Visa.

Thanks

We did Russia with Uniworld…  Viking was also in the running, but in the end, it was price that was the deciding factor.  I do agree that there are more similarities than differences in the river cruise packages in Russia.

Traffic is truly something else in Russia - there is no doubt about that.  However,  we were aware of that before we went - and just chalked it up to having an "immersive" experience.  You do get to see some of the areas where the locals live & work - and you wouldn't get that if you stayed in a hotel down town.   In Moscow, you are docked close to the Metro, so you can do some sightseeing on your own (if you are up to it...) - or can arrange for a private tour.  It is easy for a tour guide to find you given the proximity to the Metro.

There is always a guide on the bus with you, so you do get some commentary as you travel. 

If time on the bus would drive you to drink, then this may not be your best trip.  But, if you are willing to put up with that to see Russia, then book it.  We LOVED our trip in Russia... so glad we went.   And, starting in SP is the best way to go (IMHO).

Fran

P.S.  Depending on where you live - and the type of commute you are familiar with - the bus time may not be that bad for you.  Living in a suburb of Toronto, I have certainly spent just as much time trying to get home from work on a long weekend, as I did on the bus in Russia. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wife and I are another of those couples who have visited Moscow but never SPB and have never taken the river cruise. 

We are booked on the Viking Helgi in May/June from SPB to Moscow. 

Would be very interested in any info on this cruise that veterans of this cruise might be willing to share. 

Can’t wait!!

Thanks. 

• 3 months later...

Take warm clothes-one of the stops is very close to the arctic circle-about 38 degrees and rainy the day we were there. 

Also if someone is in Moscow in September check into dates and tickets for the military tattoo in red square. 

We went to the armory museum on our own. Great exhibition of the excesses of the tsars. 

5 hours ago, dcl999 said:

Take warm clothes-one of the stops is very close to the arctic circle-about 38 degrees and rainy the day we were there. 

Also if someone is in Moscow in September check into dates and tickets for the military tattoo in red square. 

We went to the armory museum on our own. Great exhibition of the excesses of the tsars. 

Kizhi was rainy and 39 F the day we were there. Even the Viking provided umbrella couldn’t keep the shoes dry!