OBC in AUD or USD

pensi9

If I receive OBC in USD for the 3 day Australian cruise does Princess convert my OBC to AUD at the going rate ? I understand that all purchases on board are in AUD.  Also  on a cruise leaving Australia to Los Angeles is the currency used on board in USD or AUD?  

We're boarding a Princess cruise next week out of New Zealand where the ship uses AUD currency.  We are from the US and booked the cruise in the US.  Our Princess OBC was not converted at the "going rate" but rather a 1:1 exchange.  For example, $300 OBC became $300 AUD OBC.  Our OBC was FCD and shareholder benefit.  Unfortunate, but apparently how they are doing it.

Depends on where the credit comes from.

Such a promotional credit and FCD credit aren't given in USD as in the T&C it says $ no currency therefore is in the currency of the ships (AUD).

Other Credit is converted however i'm unaware of the going rate however I think it is fixed.

4 hours ago, DrOfBytes said:

We're boarding a Princess cruise next week out of New Zealand where the ship uses AUD currency.  We are from the US and booked the cruise in the US.  Our Princess OBC was not converted at the "going rate" but rather a 1:1 exchange.  For example, $300 OBC became $300 AUD OBC.  Our OBC was FCD and shareholder benefit.  Unfortunate, but apparently how they are doing it.

This, was really hoping for a USD conversion to more AUS on board because promotional offer was on Princess.com with US pricing.  It would really be unrealistic to think that any other monetary values presented wouldn't be the same currency.  ESPECIALLY because all the onboard costs (booze, trinkets, restaurants) are all in AUS dollars that have been converted from US.  e.g. $10 US drink is $12AUS.  So they manage to give you substantially less OBC value

Edited by Aesop081
spelling and format

On our OZ-Fiji cruise last year, the Princess OBC was converted on a 1:1 basis, so our $200 USD became $200 AUD 😞 but our TA credit was credited at current exchange rates. Gratuities were also charged at current exchange rates so the usual $13.50 USD per day rate was converted to $17 AUD and change, so it was a case of heads we lose and tails Princess wins. 

• Thanks 1