NCL EPIC Do balcony partitions open?

mapmissy

This is our first cruise with family of 5 -- 3 boys, ages 10, 14, 17.  We'll be on the Med Cruise from Barcelona in June and there were no adjoining rooms available.  I've book two balcony rooms right next to each other but wondering if it's possible to open the door/partition between our two balconies?  Any suggestions or thoughts for a first time cruiser with our ages of kids would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, mapmissy said:

This is our first cruise with family of 5 -- 3 boys, ages 10, 14, 17.  We'll be on the Med Cruise from Barcelona in June and there were no adjoining rooms available.  I've book two balcony rooms right next to each other but wondering if it's possible to open the door/partition between our two balconies?  Any suggestions or thoughts for a first time cruiser with our ages of kids would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

NCL corporate policy is that dividers are not allowed to be opened for passengers.  Whether this is upheld onboard for your cruise, your mileage may vary.

When I was last on the Epic I know that someone was discussing how their room steward said they weren't allowed to open the balcony divider between connecting rooms. Then someone else mentioned how they could go down and help them open it with some tool they had.

So I guess the rules could vary from ship to ship or even steward to steward, and that there are ways around it, but they might just close them up again if they don't want them open.

• 1 month later...

We booked our cruise for four, side-by-side balconies almost a year ago for April 2019. Unfortunately after I used numerous communication areas, I found that NCL's policy is not to allow the partition to be opened on the balconies. I even called NCL and a representative stated it is a "fire" hazard. That gave me a chuckle.  I was going to open them up myself until I read that there is no latch or clip-device to hold the metal partition open and secure. Now this IS a potential hazard if a gust or rogue wave/wind were to blow the metal partition into someone. And realize that a chair, etc. would not be sufficient to keep them open in such an event. Sad that NCL could not place a proper latch/clip to allow them to be opened up. Really wanted our balconies opened up. Will do more thorough research before required total payment day arrives. LOL We will still make the best of this cruise.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, mapmissy said:

We usually pack 2 small screwdrivers with us in out packed luggage (one flat head and one Phillips) and open them ourselves. Its actually quite easy. 

Enjoy your cruise!!!

It seems to vary . Our steward opened the balcony partition for us when we were doing a transatlantic  with friends on the Epic . Both cabins gave permission . I was pleasantly surprised and thought maybe it' s allowed because of the type of cruise .

When we sailed on the Breakaway last year my sister and her family had the adjoining room to ours.  We asked the steward to open the balcony partition and they said they weren't able to.  My BIL went to Guest Services and he was told no.  My MIL and FIL sailed the Breakaway with friends about two months before we did and they opened the balcony for them.  I guess it really just matters who you get as your room steward.