Well-rounded Experience

jennk1425

I will be stopping in KW from 7:30a-1:00p on a Tuesday in June with my best friend who has never been there before. I loved it the first time and I’d like to give her the best feel for the town. 

I’m planning on taking the Conch train first thing, but before we leave I’d like some recommendations for:

- great places to take pics (is there an ideal Instagram-worthy street? A bright color house we could pose in front of and not piss off owners? Or somewhere that won’t be crawling with cruise ship guests? I don’t want to wait in a long like at the southernmost buoy, necessarily)

- grab and go conch fritters? We would like to walk and eat

- a bar with A/C, key lime martini, and people watching (yep, I’m totally cool with drinking by 10am. Do bars open that early in KW?)

thanks!

For that bar take a look at the White Tarpon ---> https://foursquare.com/v/white-tarpon-deli/4c90a2ff160ea093a7f7d7fc

There's no AC but it's protected from the sun and it always seems cool in there. It's at the Key West Bight between Alonzo's and the Boathouse.

Just a bit farther on there's the Schooner Wharf Bar. They start serving breakfast at 7:30 but whether or not they will cook up a batch of fritters...?

If you walk through the SWB and out the back, cross the parking lot out to Caroline you can get that photo in front of B.O.'s Fishwagon --->   http://www.bosfishwagon.com/ Be sure to get the old, rusty pick-up in the shot. But if that's not what you're looking for, cross the street and get a shot in front of Pepe's --->  http://pepeskeywest.com/ Even a shot inside in the small garden in front of the bar would be nice. 

And there are a few good photo opportunities along Lazy Way Lane close by. Take another in front of Kermit's Key Lime shop ---> https://www.keylimeshop.com/

Pjk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, jennk1425 said:

I will be stopping in KW from 7:30a-1:00p on a Tuesday in June with my best friend who has never been there before. I loved it the first time and I’d like to give her the best feel for the town. 

I’m planning on taking the Conch train first thing, but before we leave I’d like some recommendations for:

- great places to take pics (is there an ideal Instagram-worthy street? A bright color house we could pose in front of and not piss off owners? Or somewhere that won’t be crawling with cruise ship guests? I don’t want to wait in a long like at the southernmost buoy, necessarily)

- grab and go conch fritters? We would like to walk and eat

- a bar with A/C, key lime martini, and people watching (yep, I’m totally cool with drinking by 10am. Do bars open that early in KW?)

thanks!

From a local:

-There are adorable and colorful conch houses everywhere, so I would just walk around and find a spot or house you like. People here don't get pissy about pictures and the like very often - we're very used to the cruise ship folks and tourists in general!

-Hands down for fritters the Conch Shack which is right in front of Hogs Breath Saloon on Duval - CASH ONLY and ask for both sauces. 

-For the Key Lime Martini, I will second the vote for the White Tarpon. I LOVE that spot!!!! Has good people watching, too! 

Enjoy the Island!!!!

• Like 1