Altun Ha or Xunantunich?

centerpoint

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Altun Ha via the River Wallace. WE just loved it. Please make sure it is a ship sponsored tour. The ruins are not as big but very nice and getting there by the river is half the adventure. I believe there are some pics of the trip on my signature below...see the river pics up thru the ruins...

Karyn

no...only Altun Ha. It was a shorter trip and we liked the river idea. We did see Dolphins and Manatees in the River as well as monkeys and the stop is small but nice. We took the ship excursion and left from the ship to the boat up the river then a stop for lunch and a few small shops. THen on a bus for 10 minute ride to the ruins. Took a bus back then to ship. No extra time so that is why I am glad we took the ship excursion. The other half of the group did the ruins trip backwards...bus to the ruins then back to the ship by the river. There are a few stands at the ruins...and a refreshment stand.

Karyn

After reading up on the 2 sites I've pre-booked through Carnival's website the Xunantunich trip. Altun Ha sounded very nice but I get the idea that Xunantunich is much bigger. Also the idea of crossing the river via ferry and dinner being included appealed to me.

To 2112, as you have seen both sites:

We're traveling with DD 3 and DS 7, and I don't think the longer trip is do-able with them. So, we had planned on doing Altun Ha and River Wallace. Is there any merit to going to Altun Ha? Or should we look into another type of excursion altogether? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

I&MsMom -

I don't think that Altun Ha is a waste of time, but I think if you compare the two Xunantunich is much more interesting. Although there are tarps over some of the ruins at Altun Ha, it is still interesting, especially if you have not seen a Mayan ruin before, or if you have visited many and enjoy them a lot. If you are the type that may have been to a major Mayan ruin (Tikal, Chichen Itza, Copan) and will compare the two and be disappointed in one that is not as impressive, then maybe the trip isn't for you. Your kids will really like the river trip as you will most certainly see lots of wildlife (monkeys, iguanas, bats, etc). You will likely find the river trip more interesting than the ruins.

Thanks for your input. So far, the only ruins the kids have seen were Dzibultchuan (sp?) when we stopped in Progresso last year. My son really enjoyed it, and when I asked what he wanted to do if we took another cruise, he said "see more ruins!"

I sort of actually like the idea of starting relatively small. Then, springing the "big" ones on them when they are a little older and have a better appreciation of the enormity of what they are seeing.

Also glad to hear you think they'll like the river portion. I was hoping that would be the case. For their age, 6 hours is a long excursion, and I'm hoping the getting-there-is-half-of-the-fun aspect of this trip will make it enjoyable.

This is the first ship excursion we're taking. I understand that if the excusion is booked by enough passengers, they split the group into two after getting off the tender. Half gets on a boat and does the river first and the other half takes the bus to the ruins, doing the river in the afternoon.

My question, if this has been anyone's experience, is there a way to position yourself so that you can do the river portion first? With the kids, I'm afraid starting the day with a bus ride would be a lot less desirable than getting out into the river right away. By the end of the excursion, they can sleep on the bus on the way back to the ship.

If anyone can make any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I&MsMom -

I don't think that Altun Ha is a waste of time, but I think if you compare the two Xunantunich is much more interesting. Although there are tarps over some of the ruins at Altun Ha, it is still interesting, especially if you have not seen a Mayan ruin before, or if you have visited many and enjoy them a lot. If you are the type that may have been to a major Mayan ruin (Tikal, Chichen Itza, Copan) and will compare the two and be disappointed in one that is not as impressive, then maybe the trip isn't for you. Your kids will really like the river trip as you will most certainly see lots of wildlife (monkeys, iguanas, bats, etc). You will likely find the river trip more interesting than the ruins.

How does Xunantunich compare with Uxmal? I at least found Uxmal to be very good and hope that this one compares well.

How does Xunantunich compare with Uxmal? I at least found Uxmal to be very good and hope that this one compares well.

I haven't been to Uxmal yet, so I can't really compare. From the pictures I have seen from Uxmal I am sure that Uxmal is much bigger. However, Xunantunich's main structure is very impressive and sticks high above the jungle so you get an incredible view all the way into Guatamala. I'll give you a couple tips for a trip to Xunantunich. First, there is another small nearby ruin called Cahal Pech that is about 3 minutes off the main road. It is small but both times I was there is was empty. There is something really magical about having a Mayan ruin to yourself that you won't find anywhere else. I am sure the ship's tour won't stop there, but if you have a private guide I am sure that they would stop there for you for a short visit if you asked. I have some Cahal Pech photos on my website as well. Also, you will drive right by the Belize Zoo on the way to Xunantunich (about half way). Once again, it would have for a nice stop on the way back if you are on a private tour and have an extra 30 minutes or more. Enjoy you stay in Belize!

I haven't been to Uxmal yet, so I can't really compare. From the pictures I have seen from Uxmal I am sure that Uxmal is much bigger. However, Xunantunich's main structure is very impressive and sticks high above the jungle so you get an incredible view all the way into Guatamala. I'll give you a couple tips for a trip to Xunantunich. First, there is another small nearby ruin called Cahal Pech that is about 3 minutes off the main road. It is small but both times I was there is was empty. There is something really magical about having a Mayan ruin to yourself that you won't find anywhere else. I am sure the ship's tour won't stop there, but if you have a private guide I am sure that they would stop there for you for a short visit if you asked. I have some Cahal Pech photos on my website as well. Also, you will drive right by the Belize Zoo on the way to Xunantunich (about half way). Once again, it would have for a nice stop on the way back if you are on a private tour and have an extra 30 minutes or more. Enjoy you stay in Belize!

My tour is through Carnival so I don't expect they will want to stop at these other places, but I'll ask. again...thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

2112: Your pictures are awesome! We were also in Belize in 2003 and did the River Wallace & Altun Ha trip. (FYI to others: we didn't get to pick which way we rode the boat.)

My DH and I love Mayan ruins, but I have a sort of a 'been there, done that' attitude with Altun Ha and would like to see different ruins in Belize this time. I remember the first time we went to Tulum we thought it was awesome and a few years later it didn't seem quite as much fun. Maybe your pictures will help me convince him to go see Xunantunich. Is it a long bus ride from the port? The Carnival tour says it's 7 hours.

They were working on the Altun Ha excavation/restoration while we were there in 2003, but there weren't many tarps like in your pictures. How long has it been since you were there? I'm curious on the current status.

I see steps in your Xunantunich pictures. Do you get to go up very high? Do you only get to go on one structure? Thanks!

Archived