tortola vs cruise ship time question

Pwrmaster7

Tortola is currently an hour later than eastern standard time. Does ship time run on est time? I am just trying to see if a 5 oclock pm ferry from JVD would give me enough time to get back to the cruise ship if its a 6pm departure time. If anyone has any other suggestions for a day trip I will gladly listen. We are in port 8-6 on the NCL epic and the cruises excursion is sold out already I believe as it is not listed. thanks

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. I am just wondering if I catch the 5oclock ferry will I have enough time to make my ship if we lave at 6? I am just not sure if departure time is on ship time or on island time as im a total newbie.... Thanks

We were just in Tortola on the Edge.  As far as time goes usually the ships change to Atlantic time before they arrive in the Eastern Caribbean Islands.  The Edge changed time overnight before arriving in San Juan and changed back no the first sea day on the way back.  

That said usually the all aboard time is 30 min before the sailing time.  In our case it was 5:30.   If that is the case no way you can catch the 5pm ferry from Jost and make the ship.  Not sure of the Ferry speed but It is probably atleast a 45 min plus boat ride.  

Departure time is 6 PM ship time.  The BVI observes Atlantic Standard Time which is the same as DST. 

The 5 PM ferry is ~20 minutes + any delays, + ~20 - 25 minute taxi back to RT. BOB time is 5, many get back on the ship at 5:30...

So no way, take the 2 PM return ferry, or consider another option like the Rebel Yell through the cruise line, a private charter like Ocean Magic, or a water taxi out of CGB...

Yes Jost just isn't an easy self-excursion from Road Town unless you are ready to pay a little more for a water taxi, or even more for a private. charter. I don't have current contact info or pricing for a taxi out of CGB but if you were interested you could look into that.

Question, why does Jost appeal to you? Just hangin' at Soggy $ in White Bay? If so I think that's overrated anymore - yes it's a nice beach bar day, although it gets much more crowded today and it is not the same as it was even 15 years ago. Without all the hassle and travel time you can enjoy Myett's, Quito's, and other beach bars right in CGB...or for a more "Caribbean vibe" Brewers Bay and Nicole's...

Just a thought...

I mean, we love visiting Virgin Gorda, areas on Jost, and other islands of the BVI when staying on Tortola. On a land-based vacation you can schedule these day trips around the cruise ship schedules, and spend much more time on each island, even an overnight in White Bay if you so desire. When visiting Jost on a cruise stop you can get a taste of White Bay, and with a private charter or taxi you have enough time to experience it a little more. But if you decide to return for a longer visit, having the afternoon and evening to enjoy these spots is so much nicer. That's why I suggested just enjoying one of the Tortola beaches, but even if you do Jost using the ferry you will have a good 3 hours to see it...

If you return to West End at 2PM I would taxi to CGB and have lunch at Myett's/Pusser's, see the distillery down the road, then head back to the port and maybe a cold one at Pusser's Road Town Pub.