Here are my photos of Grand Cayman/Sea Grape & Legend Of the Seas 1.07.06!

cruisegirl29

What wonderful pictures! Your little girls are just adorable. We never did stop at Sea Grape, but we drove by it many times, and it really looked like a nice place to spend time near the water. :)

We were in GC on the 9th! We were there for a week. As calm as the water was that day, you would not have believed how wild it was on the weekend. A storm blew in on Friday and all the ships left by early afternoon. The waves were huge! Saturday, there was one ship in port, but because of the waves, it had to use the other facility (on the other side of the island). Sunday was not much better. We ate lunch at the Hard Rock on Saturday, and the waves were flooding the parking lot of the Paradise restaurant, and another place not too far from it.

What wonderful pictures! Your little girls are just adorable. We never did stop at Sea Grape, but we drove by it many times, and it really looked like a nice place to spend time near the water. :)

We were in GC on the 9th! We were there for a week. As calm as the water was that day, you would not have believed how wild it was on the weekend. A storm blew in on Friday and all the ships left by early afternoon. The waves were huge! Saturday, there was one ship in port, but because of the waves, it had to use the other facility (on the other side of the island). Sunday was not much better. We ate lunch at the Hard Rock on Saturday, and the waves were flooding the parking lot of the Paradise restaurant, and another place not too far from it.

This was the first time out of 12 cruises that we took our girls with. It went well, but next year we are going by ourselves again! It was their vacation and that's ok. It was fun for them to see what cruising is all about!

Sea Grape is great. The waves were crazy that day. Calm one min. then strong enough to knock my girls down. Crazy but they enjoyed it. Next time we cruise, I'm renting a car & heading to Rum Point. Since you stayed there a week did you hit Rum Point?

Friday coming back into the port of tampa we were told we'd have 8ft waves. I think about 2am when the ship was making it's way into the port area & making turns we were rocking a bit. It was all good though! Sounds like the weather wasn't very good for you then? It must have been very windy.

Sue

The weather really was fine. It never rained during the day...we only had huge waves. One night the weather man was fussing because it was going to be down to 77! It was always sunny in the morning, so we usually hit the beach first thing, then the clouds rolled in. Then it usually cleared for the evening. I think once we had some sprinkles, and one night I heard it rain. What was nice was there was really no humidity.

We did drive to Rum Point and enjoyed it very much. That side of the island was more tropical looking. And Rum Point is really beautiful. The problem we encountered was Rum Point was packed. There wasn't a chair to be had. So we ate lunch (it was really good), and strolled around the area, and then left. I asked our server if it was always crowded, and he said it pretty much was. It's become very popular.

I think the biggest mistake they are making is allowing all those cruise ships to be there each day. There's just too many people on that island. I had a list I'd made of the cruise ships that should be in port each day, and there were always more than were listed on the Cayman Port Authority. I think the day we left, we counted nine. That's way too many.

What we enjoyed most was just exploring the island. We drove everywhere and it was really nice. I think if we'd ever visit on a cruise ship, I'd rent a car and just drive around. You can always find a secluded beach area.

It was really amazing listening to the waves at night. We kept our windows in the condo cracked so we could hear them. I can't wait to go back.

We took our kids with us this time. It was a "family" vacation and probably will be one of the last ones we do. Our kids are getting out of college and getting jobs (yeah), so we will probably go it on our own from now on.

I agree that GC can be overcrowed with cruiseship tourists. We've been there serveral times. This time it was perfect because there was only about 4 in port. So much nicer then a couple of yrs ago I think there was around 10 or so. Just too busy then.

Rum Point from what I've heard was much nicer than Sea Grape due to the less crowded. I think more people are renting cars & heading out there now. Hope to go there someday.

I'm glad to hear you had great weather. We had some rain. The last 4 times we've cruise & all in different months it's been a touch cooler. It was nice though.

Next time-our DD's (4&5) will be staying home again.....we need a vacation!

Sue

Archived