Will paying for cruise early help getting a better flight reservation?

farjar

We are sailing Alaska in Sept. using the NCL airfare package.  Our final payment isn't due for 2 more months.  I assume that since we haven't yet paid, NCL has made no attempt to secure any airline reservation for us. Looking at various airlines' timetables some have very desirable flights while others are horrific.  The longer NCL waits the worse the selections will become.  If we pay early will NCL make our flight reservation now since we are committed to that cruise?  I know we won't hear our flight details until about 60 days prior to sailing but will NCL look for flights once we pay when options will be better or wait until 2 months out when the options will be more limited?

Also any positive or negative experiences with NCL's Alaska airfare package (Vancouver-Seward) would be appreciated.

I can't speak from experience - BUT - I can guess that it would make no difference in what airline is booked unless

you have stated something to NCL i.e. Non-stop flights please - earliest arrival at port city - arrival a day before the

cruise or travel on an affinity mileage airline. The airline seats are no doubt brokered in advance with the or as many

airlines that NCL feels they need to honor that (free) fare built in with the cruise fare. The free or reduced airfare is

probably mostly marketed with the POA ship sailing in Hawaii cause a lot of these bookings involve a hotel stay too.

Re: the Vancouver flight packages are not cheap - sometimes it is best to construct your own package using Seattle

airport for your travels. In as far as Seward is concerned you are about 120 some miles from Anchorage airport with

flights to a great many lower 48 major cities. Alaska Railroad and charter transfer bus service are the main transportation

modes from port to airport. That can be built into a cruise package with NCL (Highly recommend the Alaska Railroad !!!)

If you are using any of NCL package deals you are committed to a schedule that is fixed and perhaps limited in other

options that will be available i.e. earlier less expensive flights - fewer connections. Best to study these options - you

have time to look at these alternatives up and until the final payment is due and as the previous post noted something

about 75 days.

One thing to be aware of if taking a post cruise land tour package is that tour ending at Fairbanks which has very limited

seasonal service to the lower 48 and frequently requires a trip back to Anchorage to leave Alaska.

Flight service to the lower 48 is frequently red-eye flights - those nice trips up to Alaska to catch a cruise ship are

daylight ones timed to board and sail away in the same day - probably not the best idea - but then those flights leave

at ungodly hours going back to the lower 48. Watch carefully what NCL books for you.