Boeing 737 max

I have read that they are used on Manchester services. TUI will be scrambling to hire replacements. apparently the rest of the TUI 737 fleet is a previous 'next generation' model, not MAX

The MAX versions have 2 winglets at each wingtip?

Edited by davecttr

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have read that they are used on Manchester services. TUI will be scrambling to hire replacements. apparently the rest of the TUI 737 fleet is a previous 'next generation' model, not MAX

The MAX versions have 2 winglets at each wingtip?

The main identifying feature is that the engines are mounted on  the fuselage forward of the wings instead of on the wings as in previous 737s.

That, apparently, is because the engines are larger and heavier than previous models and are far more powerful and fuel efficient.

23 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

The main identifying feature is that the engines are mounted on  the fuselage forward of the wings instead of on the wings as in previous 737s.

That, apparently, is because the engines are larger and heavier than previous models and are far more powerful and fuel efficient.

They're certainly not mounted on the fuselage! The new much larger diameter engines on the 737 Max are cantilevered further forward in front of the wings (instead of underneath them) and higher up, this changes the centre of gravity now making the aircraft aerodynamically unstable, meaning it needs the computer controlled fly-by-wire system in order to maintain level flight.

56 minutes ago, BaronSloan said:

They're certainly not mounted on the fuselage! The new much larger diameter engines on the 737 Max are cantilevered further forward in front of the wings (instead of underneath them) and higher up, this changes the centre of gravity now making the aircraft aerodynamically unstable, meaning it needs the computer controlled fly-by-wire system in order to maintain level flight.

I stand corrected. I was reading an article about them and the centre of gravity issue and the illustration made it appear that the engines were fuselage mounted.

So they have an aircraft that can't maintain level flight without computer controlled fly by wire? and no pilot controlled fly by wire? so if the computer fails for whatever reason you are on the way to crashing?

52 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

I stand corrected. I was reading an article about them and the centre of gravity issue and the illustration made it appear that the engines were fuselage mounted.

No problem, it seems a very risky way to modify an existing successful aircraft design. It would seem that Boeing are getting their comeuppance now, sadly at the cost of hundreds of innocent passenger's lives.

44 minutes ago, davecttr said:

So they have an aircraft that can't maintain level flight without computer controlled fly by wire? and no pilot controlled fly by wire? so if the computer fails for whatever reason you are on the way to crashing?

Apparently if the attitude correction computers fail for any reason or they are fed incorrect data from the sensors, the 737 Max can be difficult for the pilots to control.