Marella Discovery Excursions - are they value for money?

Came back from the Asia cruise that took in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam. I have to say that the cruise ship was very good but some of the Shore Excursions at the various ports appear very poor and not value for money.

We booked several trips before we left because we weren't sure of how far the docking was from the ship, if there would be any alternatives on shore for us to explore etc.

we found from talking to other more experienced Travellers on board that they went to the same places that we had been to, stayed longer at others and had paid a lot less ( in some cases up to £30-£60). I know people will say that on the organised trip you have a guide and that the trip will be safe, having been selected by Tui.

i thought so myself but our visit to Sihanoukville by Tuk Tuk still sends shivers down my spine. Not only was the excursion was a shambles

( Guide went to one Temple, the 10 Tuk Tuks went to another, after being taken to the wrong Tuk Tuks)

our Tuk Tuk was when we started ok but we were cramped , we sat facing each other, with our feet on the spare tyre as the driver drove whilst watching a Kung Fu movie on his phone, which was propped up behind the steering wheel. We thought at first he had the radio on but he was watching a film! On the way back the exhaust blew, we got off the Tuk to find ourselves covered in paint from gripping the sides so hard, we had to tell to follow the other Tuks because had no mirrors to see. If we moved we banged into him because the screen separating us from him was plastic.

the point was the excursion was unsafe, the Tuks were not roadworthy and the Guide admitted that the company was not the usual one they used.

if we had gone on our own we could have found a sound Tuk, agreed a price and gone round all the places for half the price.

When we asked for our money back from Tui, they offered 30% as a goodwill gesture which we turned down. Having got back home we complained to Head Office at Tui who said " that's what aTuk Tuk is like in Cambodia! Not true, we saw some very safe and fancy looking Tuks.

from this we concluded that we would do our Excursions independently or with others to lessen the cost and went to many of the same destinations as the organised tour and stayed longer at the places we liked and didn't visit Temple after Temple.

all our forays were good, cheaper, and we felt safe. The drivers all had a sheet with pictures of the places that you wanted to visit and you just pointed to them and off you went.

what are other travellers experience of the Organised Excursions that Ships offer? Do you think they are worth the money?

There are lots of options, you just have to work out which is the best for you. Marella excursions are probably not the best, but in some cases they are the only option and they, at least,  get you back to the ship on time. Private excursions, if possible, are great and tend to be smaller groups. Lots of ports are DIY possible. We have done both options and luckily we have been very lucky with our choices. 

I agree about the Marella trips not being value for money. I feel that we were very much used as guinea pigs for their first Asia cruises. 

We also did a Tuk Tuk  trip in Cambodia. It was sold as 4.5 hours. We left ship at 9.00 to transport to Tuk Tuk then sat on it for at least 15 mins while they got everyone together. The traffic was awful and I did fear for my life over the state of the vehicle. However, we lived to tell the tale and were back on the ship by 12.30. Doesn’t need a mathematician to work out that wasn’t 4.5 hours! 

The Penang trip. We visited a temple (of course!) and a batik factory which was very good. The rest of the trip ( in a coach with no apparent rear suspension) went downhill. A visit to see a fruit and spice stall on the side of a busy road, and the finale was to see , in the distance, a bridge linking Penang to the mainland! 

Bangkok. We drove for 2 hours ( had a comfort stop at motorway services) into Bangkok. Drove round passing Chinatown and Flower Market and stopped for a temple visit for about 30 mins. Then drove back, another 2 hours,another comfort stop. 

As it was our first trip to this part of the world, we were wary about doing things on our own and getting back on time. However, we feel we missed seeing a lot on the trips we did. Marella really need to review their trips in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Just back from Red Sea Odyssey and thought the excursions were overpriced and very rushed, also poorly described in terms of ability, accessibility, and duration.  Destination Services were terrible, giving out wrong information beforehand and very confrontational and rude when we complained afterwards.  Don't get me wrong, we we're thrilled to be able to visit these places, and having never been in that area before we're glad to have the "safety" of being on a ships excursion, but if you are more confident and can arrange an alternative I'd do it!

Done a few excursions via Tui from cruise ships.  Found some great, some quite poor.  You will probably get cheaper and better value through other companies.    The reason I go through Tui is for the protection.  If something goes wrong whilst on their excursion eg. bus breaks down or something, the ship will wait till your back on board.  I wouldn't be too confident if you went through ACME Tours, bus broke down and there was no way you would reembark the ship before it was due to leave port.

I am reading this because I am considering a Marella cruise and want to hear what people say about the whole experience.  However I am never keen on ship tours.  They are usually overpriced.  They have to be.  If a tour operates usually prices a tour.  The ship negotiates a price,  There has to be a commission.  

I understand nerves though when going on a first trip to Asia.  Once you have done your first trip you will know what it is like and be braver about independent tours ..  and Tuk Tuks!!

MAke sure that you leave the ship early and allow an hour or so extra to get back.  I think that one important consideration is how easily you will get to your next destination if you should miss the ship (and I am sure it rarely happens).  

If your next port is reached after 4 days at sea, you need to be very careful.  If your next port is 200 km up the coast, you can be braver.