First cruise after Ostomy

Rollexx1910

I don't have one myself, but work in health care. Bring twice as many supplies as you think you will need. Also, as you prepare, take note of how different foods affect you, such as producing more gas, and keep then in mind when choosing meals if you will be going on long excursions, etc, where it will be difficult to manage your bag discreetly.

I have a family member with one - I recommend taking some extra plastic grocery bags with you for when you have to change.  They don't have them in the cans in the rooms.  Also - like the post above - bring extra for sure.  Changes is diet can really change the output etc. Other then that - enjoy!!! 

On 3/23/2019 at 4:32 AM, desiro said:

I have a family member with one - I recommend taking some extra plastic grocery bags with you for when you have to change.  They don't have them in the cans in the rooms.  Also - like the post above - bring extra for sure.  Changes is diet can really change the output etc. Other then that - enjoy!!! 

Or Zip lock baggies and wet ones might be handy.

Lots and lots of people have them and travel with them. Don't worry too much you will be fine.

Have a fantastic trip

So happy to see your thread... have never seen this on CC....Excellent suggestions above.   I am an ostomate of 10 years and have travelled the world.  So much easier to do now after my surgery and I can be a lot more adventuresome due to not spending the time worrying about finding a bathroom.  It totally gave me my life back.

I take one change per day... even though I only change every 3-4 days.. Just in case.  One time I didnt and I ran out of supplies .. that was miserable!  Hard to find things in foreign countries 😩

I take disposal bags and a bathroom air freshener... and I’m good to go.   

Airplane travel leads to more gas due to the cabin pressure... so just keep an eye on that....   Enjoy.     You will be the only one that even knows your situation 💕

Welcome to cruise critic!

In addition to the responses on this board, you might want to post on the Disabled Cruise Travel board:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/.

You can also do a search on that board for past threads dealing with cruising with an ostomy.

I have not only cruised as a passenger with one but worked on ships as well. Make SURE you take triple what you think you'll need. Humidity, swimming, spas, steamrooms, saunas can all affect your weartime. I usually change every 5-7 days at home but on some cruises I have had to change every day due to one thing or another! Also PACK SUPPLIES IN CARRY-ON!!! I can't tell you how important that is. Do not check your meds or your ostomy supplies. If there is anything liquid you use put some in a couple of 3 oz bottles to take on the plane with you, everything else should go in carry on. And don't let the stewards take it when you check in on the ship, take it with you. As I worked on ships I have taken a 6 month supply through airports and cruise security and not once has it been a problem.

For onboard, take zip log baggies for disposal (or better is colored plastic bags so the people dealing with trash don't have to see what's in the bag....they sort all garbage on ships). I have even been known to take the bag and dispose of it in a trash bin outside the cabin so my room steward doesn't have to deal with it.

As for swimming I am blessed that mine is below my belt line so no one can see it, but if it's visible to others either get a color wrap to wear around your waist or let it go and see how people react. Quite frankly we are cleaner to swim than "normal" people as all of our crap is in the bag and you never know who else in the pool has gastro issues with no bag.....just sayin!

And the LAST advice is LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH! Have a great time and realize 99.99% will never know you have one....and if they do, who cares, it saved your life!