El Nicho

adios

Anyone been to El Nicho falls?  I've heard it gets busy on ship days.  Any idea of what time you were there?  We are not on a cruise, and would like to visit the falls during a non-busy time.  The day we are going is a cruise stop day (Empress will be there).  They are in port from 7-5.  The falls are open 9-3.  I'm hoping they will be leaving the falls by 2 or so, but don't know.  Anyone with experience on stopping at Cienfuegos and going to the falls?

On 3/24/2019 at 2:35 PM, adios said:

Anyone been to El Nicho falls?  I've heard it gets busy on ship days.  Any idea of what time you were there?  We are not on a cruise, and would like to visit the falls during a non-busy time.  The day we are going is a cruise stop day (Empress will be there).  They are in port from 7-5.  The falls are open 9-3.  I'm hoping they will be leaving the falls by 2 or so, but don't know.  Anyone with experience on stopping at Cienfuegos and going to the falls?

We looked into going to El Nicho Falls but opt to go to Trinidad instead.  Judging from the size of the tours I think very few people takes the tour there compared to other cruise excursions (big tour bus vs. just a large van for 16 people).  For our Oceania cruise, the cruise line uses Cubatur https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147271-d12183138-Reviews-Cubatur-Havana_Ciudad_de_la_Habana_Province_Cuba.html  for all their tours.  Unless you have "free" excursions from the cruise line you will get a much better Cuban experience with a private tour guide.  

Some things to consider:

1. Being in port at 7 AM you should try to go to El Nicho ASAP.  The drive in 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours each way.  It's best to go as early as possible and be back to Cienfuegos in the afternoon so that you are not away from the city near your cruise departure.

2. Make sure your guide uses a GOOD condition vehicle.  I saw an article that one of the private guides took people up in a Classic car and the car had to rest in the middle to make it up the mountain!  It would not be good to be stuck out there with possible no phone service!

3. Check out who will guide you at El Nicho - not the private guide for your tour but the guide who will bring you around at the falls.  Some tour companies bring you around themselves for the trail walk.  With Tony Castillo's company he uses a guide who is local at the falls to guide you through the trails.

See https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2593423-private-excursion-findings-cienfuegos-trinidad-cuba/  for a list of guides you can contact.

Laurence