Cuba visa after Nov 2018 regulation changes

cftgyhujik

We are taking MSC cruise that stops in Havana in May. THe MSC website has contradictory info, saying visitors must fall in one of 12 categories but also saying it is mandatory to participate in their excursions that meet the People to People category. On the website is says in one place that you will not be allowed off the ship until the time of your shore excursion booked through them.

We plan (hopefully) to make independent tour arrangements, using the Support the Cuban People category. 

Has anyone on a MSC Cuba cruise since last November (2018) when the rules changed arranged their own tours rather than using the MSC shore excursions? Did you still get your visa on the ship or get it ahead of time? (if ahead, from which company?) Did you have any problem with disembarking when the ship reached port even though you did not have a MSC shore excursion booked?

On one now, just left Havana a few hours ago.

here is what they said in the visiting Cuba seminar thing, no one checks, no one verifies.

we walked off both days and no one asked us squat. Not the ship, not security, not immigration, not the money exchanger lady...no one

Our tours were both privately booked direct, by me, not through MSC or any agency.

We had a great time both days.

See the “Live from Armonia” thread by by me....even have some photos from the onboard seminar about visiting Cuba

23 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

On one now, just left Havana a few hours ago.

here is what they said in the visiting Cuba seminar thing, no one checks, no one verifies.

we walked off both days and no one asked us squat. Not the ship, not security, not immigration, not the money exchanger lady...no one

Our tours were both privately booked direct, by me, not through MSC or any agency.

We had a great time both days.

See the “Live from Armonia” thread by by me....even have some photos from the onboard seminar about visiting Cuba

Thanks, EnglceDave. Did you get your tourist card before you left Miami? Or did you get it on the ship?