Allegro or Playa Mia w/ 18 month old?

NKLCRUISES

We went to Allegro off our cruise a couple of years ago.  The kids pool/water park was nice, but not beach front (in the middle of the resort).   The food was mediocre at best.  The drinks were so-so (and we had to walk through the resort, up to the beach pool to get the drinks).  I would not go again.

1 hour ago, haply said:We went to Allegro off our cruise a couple of years ago.  The kids pool/water park was nice, but not beach front (in the middle of the resort).   The food was mediocre at best.  The drinks were so-so (and we had to walk through the resort, up to the beach pool to get the drinks).  I would not go again.

I wouldn't expect the kids pool and water park to be beach front and I don’t believe they are at Playa Mia either.

we took our 18 month old to Allegro a few years back because I thought it would be quieter. Playa Mia seems like it could be very busy although the only detailed review of the splashground I have ever seen was from Mitsugirly, some years back, and the resort was unusually quiet. Unfortunately it was a very cold windy day the day we went to Allegra and we were unable to use the pool or beach, as would have been the case where ever we had chosen. I agree the food was not great, typical AI buffet but I have been to better AI Buffets and for adults there are better resort choices. I don’t recall any problems with the drinks but we went before it was taken over by Barcelo so perhaps things have changed. The food at Playa Mia never gets good reviews either.

I think Allegro is a good option for young children. I have never been to Playa Mia but either look good for young children I would check time of year and consider how many ships are in port.

We have also enjoyed Park Royal with young child. We appreciated the fact we could walk from International and no transport problems. There is a kiddie pool but no splashground and we used the main pool. The buffet was good in an indoor room with A/C which gave a welcome break from the heat.

When my kids were little, it was REALLY nice to go to a resort that had chair drink service (vs. having to go up to the bar to get your drinks, which was hard to do watching the kids).  Allegro did not have wait staff bringing you drinks (you had to go to the bar).

8 minutes ago, haply said:

When my kids were little, it was REALLY nice to go to a resort that had chair drink service (vs. having to go up to the bar to get your drinks, which was hard to do watching the kids).  Allegro did not have wait staff bringing you drinks (you had to go to the bar).

We had chair service but as I said it was a few years back, (before Barceló) - perhaps things have changed, or it was the time of year that made the difference.

For adults, we much prefer Occidental (also pre-Barceló, so no recent experience) but for families we thought Allegro would have been OK, if the weather would have co-operated.