Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

I just picked up a Sony H1 in prep of an Alaska cruise. Awesome camera. 12X optical zoom and enough features to do some interesting shots, but not so complicated to make it annoying to use. That and my Nikon SLR should keep me covered for most shots I would hope!

>>Do you think whatever I decide to get will be still good (in terms of technology & camera-life) in 10 years?<<

It depends on what you get and how you shoot. My Nikon digital was about worn out after 3 years of hard use and shooting 11,000 images, which is why I was shopping again 3 months ago. My wife's Canon S1 should still be a good camera in 10 years - she's gentler and takes 1/10th the number of pictures I do. I would never buy anything but a top-brand camera, in the belief (and experience) that you get what you pay for. I owned fairly high-end Pentax and Nikon film cameras starting in 1966, stayed with Nikon for my first digital, then moved to Canon when Nikon quit keeping up with others in digital technology. The decision to get the Digital Rebel was too complicated to even recall, but the fact that I pay for my cameras by selling pictures allowed me to go the extra $$ to a DSLR.

Murray

You're right, I would probably be the kind of photographer your wife is. The only issue I see with getting an S1/S2 is that I don't have you with me to be taking the fabulous pictures with your more expensive camera. Between my husband and I, this will be out 'best' camera and then we will have other smaller types for just going out...

Would you recommend the S2? That's great that you can sell your pictures! Where do you sell?

I just picked up a Sony H1 in prep of an Alaska cruise. Awesome camera. 12X optical zoom and enough features to do some interesting shots, but not so complicated to make it annoying to use. That and my Nikon SLR should keep me covered for most shots I would hope!

The sony H1 looks great. There are just so many options. Why did you pick that camera?

I'm only going to end up with one camera--you're so lucky to have the 2!

I guess I just need the 'perfect' one...

LMCruise, from reading your post it does sound as if a DSLR is the way to go for the purposes you mentioned. The Canon Rebel XT you mentioned in a later post would be excellent for you. Nikon also makes DSLRs, but in my opinion Canon seems to do a better job with their cameras, plus they have an excellent lens selection. The only knock some people have against the XT is its size, some people find it just a shade too small. Anyway, you should go to a camera store and handle a few to get a better idea how they feel in your hands. Other companies make DSLR cameras, but you know Canon and Nikon will be around as long as DSLRs are made, and both have a wide lens selection.

Please be aware that any advice you receive on these boards is based on the person giving its experiences. Other people, again based on their own experiences, often disagree. So, having said that, if you go with the Canon Rebel XT I WOULD get it with the kit 18-55 lens. The price at B&H is $779.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ 1.webloc

While not a great lens, the 18-55 is inexpensive and is capable of taking excellent pictures. It also covers a very useful range, an equivalent of 29-88 in 35mm terms factoring in the 1.6 crop factor the camera has.

I also would forget the Sigma 18-200 that has been suggested. I have nothing against the lens other than it won’t meet your needs—200mm is just too short for wildlife photography. Most wildlife photographers recommend 300mm as the very bare minimum. A better choice for you would be Canon’s EF 70-300 IS zoom, $564.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/.webloc

While it’s a consumer lens and isn’t one of Canon’s professional L lenses, it has consistently received good reviews. And the image stabilization (IS) is extremely useful to eliminate camera shakes and allows you to shoot in dimmer light.

I would also forget the Canon 420, now 430 flash and use the camera’s on-board flash instead. Later, at some point, you may want to add a more full-feature flash but for the time being the on-board camera flash will work well at medium distances and also works great as a fill flash outside in bright light.

According to my figures the camera kit and extra lens comes to $1344.90 plus shipping. You would still need some CF memory cards and a bag of some kind. Shooting in .jpg large fine mode a 512MB card will hold 145 pictures. I would recommend SanDisk 1GB Ultra II CF cards, selling for around $59 each. Each card should give you around 290 pictures.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=012801&SortBy=B&Brand=SANDISK

Buy as many cards as you’ll think you need, based on how many pictures you think you’ll be taking and whether you’ll be downloading them to a laptop or some kind of personal storage device. But do get at least two cards.

I hope this information will be useful to you and I haven’t put you to sleep.

Happy picture taking.

Tapia, I chose the Sony after looking at many different cameras. My old digital was a simple point and shoot, but it took great pics. This time around, I wanted the more powerful 'optical' zoom. Comparing it to others, the 12X zoom really was sweet. Not only that, I know Sony makes a good product. Another nice thing about this camera, you can just 'point and click' or you can manually make many adjustments like an SLR. Pretty impressive. Don't be afraid of the extras, you don't have to use any of them if you don't want to, but they're there if later you want to get really adventurous. I have many cameras, but if you are only going to have one, I think this may be just about perfect for you. (Plus they're on sale at Wally-World)

The Canon Rebel XT you mentioned in a later post would be excellent for you. Nikon also makes DSLRs, but in my opinion Canon seems to do a better job with their cameras, plus they have an excellent lens selection. The only knock some people have against the XT is its size, some people find it just a shade too small. Anyway, you should go to a camera store and handle a few to get a better idea how they feel in your hands. Other companies make DSLR cameras, but you know Canon and Nikon will be around as long as DSLRs are made, and both have a wide lens selection.

Agreed on all fronts. I own a 20D and a Rebel XT, and the XT is much lighter and smaller. There is no substitue for hands on the goods to see what feels good to you.

Please be aware that any advice you receive on these boards is based on the person giving its experiences. Other people, again based on their own experiences, often disagree.

Which is why they make chocolate and vanilla. Ask ten people, you'll probably get 12 answers, as this thread has shown.

[quote name=OldCodger73}So, having said that, if you go with the Canon Rebel XT I WOULD get it with the kit 18-55 lens. The price at B&H is $779.95.

www.bhphotovideo.com/ 1.webloc

While not a great lens, the 18-55 is inexpensive and is capable of taking excellent pictures. It also covers a very useful range, an equivalent of 29-88 in 35mm terms factoring in the 1.6 crop factor the camera has.

I also would forget the Sigma 18-200 that has been suggested. I have nothing against the lens other than it won’t meet your needs—200mm is just too short for wildlife photography. Most wildlife photographers recommend 300mm as the very bare minimum. A better choice for you would be Canon’s EF 70-300 IS zoom, $564.95.

www.bhphotovideo.com/.webloc

While it’s a consumer lens and isn’t one of Canon’s professional L lenses, it has consistently received good reviews. And the image stabilization (IS) is extremely useful to eliminate camera shakes and allows you to shoot in dimmer light.

The Canon 70-300 is an excellent suggestion. But the Sigma, IMHO, gets you an 11:1 zoom and has a better feel and quality than the Canon kit lens, which to me feels like the mass market plastic housed lens that it is (having said that, however, it will still give you more control than most point-and-shoot types). When you subtract the cost of the kit lens from the Sigma, you will find you are paying only about $275 for a more versatile lens, and one that weighs a full 10 ounces less than the Canon 70 - 300. Again, IMHO, the Sigma (or Tamron lens of the same zoom specs), gives you a better built, more versatile lens for what will be 90% of your everyday shooting. For your trip you might want to try renting a Canon "L" lens, because you want those long shots to have every advantage you can give them. Granted it will be $80 - $100 down the drain since you will have to return the lens, but it might further excite the creative juices so you will have something to add to your wish list.

That having been said, if purchase is the way you want to go, Sigma does make a 170mm - 500mm f/5 - 6.3 for around $570. It won't be your everyday lens for sure, but for wildlife or sports it will bring things a lot closer.

I would also forget the Canon 420, now 430 flash and use the camera’s on-board flash instead. Later, at some point, you may want to add a more full-feature flash but for the time being the on-board camera flash will work well at medium distances and also works great as a fill flash outside in bright light.

This makes a lot of sense, especially for this trip when you probably won't be taking tons of "critical needs" flash photos. Spend the money on the glass instead.

Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong with any combination of these lenses. If I could afford it I would only be buying Canon L lenses, but once you get to the next tier the alternative manufacturers offer excellent value and quality.

Happy picture taking.

The same from me :D

Tapia, I chose the Sony after looking at many different cameras. My old digital was a simple point and shoot, but it took great pics. This time around, I wanted the more powerful 'optical' zoom. Comparing it to others, the 12X zoom really was sweet. Not only that, I know Sony makes a good product. Another nice thing about this camera, you can just 'point and click' or you can manually make many adjustments like an SLR. Pretty impressive. Don't be afraid of the extras, you don't have to use any of them if you don't want to, but they're there if later you want to get really adventurous. I have many cameras, but if you are only going to have one, I think this may be just about perfect for you. (Plus they're on sale at Wally-World)

Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate it. I think I'm going to find a camera store to go into in order to see the differences in person.

I'm going to mention this one and the S2. Think there's anything else worth suggesting while I'm there?

Thank you!

I hope this information will be useful to you and I haven’t put you to sleep.

Happy picture taking.

WAY USEFUL information. Thank you so much for sharing your opinion (and thank you to everyone else also). After talking to another photographer and the wildlife photographer friend, it appears the Canon Rebel is the way to go. EVERYONE recommended that one first.

About the lenses:

For a 300mm lense, we will want IS for certain, right? But what about the 18-55 ? Should we go over our proposed budget and get an IS lense for this too? Or is this totally unnecessary? My gut says it is, but I figure I might as well ask while I have a captive audience!

About the lenses:

For a 300mm lense, we will want IS for certain, right? But what about the 18-55 ? Should we go over our proposed budget and get an IS lense for this too? Or is this totally unnecessary? My gut says it is, but I figure I might as well ask while I have a captive audience!

You will not need IS for a wide angle lens. The reason for IS in a telephoto is that any movement is magnified by the fact that you are shooting a small angle of view, and any movement or shake is much more likely to be caught on film (or digital sensor as the case may be). You don't have the same issue with a wide lens.

Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate it. I think I'm going to find a camera store to go into in order to see the differences in person.

I'm going to mention this one and the S2. Think there's anything else worth suggesting while I'm there?

Thank you!

Tapia,

I have been in the same delima as you - and the decision for me came down to same 2 final camera choices as you have mentioned here. I decided to go with the Canon S2 and not the Sony H1......but I know I would have been happy with the Sony as well. I chose the Canon for several reasons -- one, because my daughter has the Canon S1 and the pictures are gorgeous -- she has a 14 month old so my REAL reason for wanting a new camera is because of HIM. :) My Olympus is just tooooo slow to catch him. I also wanted a 10-12x zoom for Alaska as my Olympus is only a 3x zoom.

After MUCH reading and agonizing over it all I chose the Canon S2 as it appears (in writing) to be a tad faster (but probably not significantly so) and there were better reviews on the movie mode for the Canon --

which I DO want to use in Alaska (so I do not have to drag along my movie camera).

So - having just been thru what you are going thru I think my point is - buy the one with the best price and you will be happy with it.

One other "minor" point is that they each use different types of memory cards - do you have memory cards already that would work in either camera? My Olympus is different from both of these cameras so I'd have to buy new cards for either one I chose.

Good luck! Sounds like you will soon be the proud owner of a new wondeful camera!

ps - Canon has just come out with a S3 if you want to spend ~$100 more - I was at my limit and decided not to even "go there"......

Although this thread seems to be a scattershot of a couple of different conversations, I thought I would add a few cents worth.

Talking about the decision between a prosumer P&S (like the Powershot S2, etc.) and entry level D-SLRs I would say that you do not need to be serious about photography (read: dedicated to put blood sweat and tears into learning everything) to use a D-SLR. All of the current entry level D-SLRs have auto modes that allow you to point and shoot the same as a P&S. Just be prepaired for the fact that they tend to be larger, heavier and have the tendincy to drag you into a never ending cycle of lens lust.

Beware of D-SLRs though, they make you want to spend a lot of money once you get hooked on photography.

For anyone thinking about adding a lens to there D-SLR kit, think super wide. Both the Tokina 12-24 and Sigma 10-20 are wonderful alternatives to the OEM wides (Nikon and Canon) that cost less and perform better. I recently got the Sigma EX 10-20 and it is great for all things landscape.

I'd also like to plug support for any Nikonians among us. The Rebel XT is a great little camera, but anyone looking at the XT is doing a disservice to themselves by not also looking at the Nikon D50.

For the person looking for a kit around $1500 for nature photography. One suggestion (although somewhat unconventional) would be to look at the D50 w/ the 18-55 kit lens at about $600, and the Sigma 80-400OS 4.5-5.6 at $999. The 80-400OS is a killer nature/birding lens. I would suggest that due research is done beforehand as this type of setup is in no way compairable to a regular kit with one of the 18-200 zooms (The 80-400OS is 8.5" long and weighs over 3 pounds.)

Personally, I plan to take my:

Nikon D70,

Nikon 18-70DX AF-S, for regular group shots around the boat

Sigma EX 10-20 HSM, for landscape/wideangle (love this lens it will be used pretty much 90% I imagine)

Nikon 70-200 AF-S VR, The ultimate in the mid telephoto range

1.7 teleconverter, To add more reach to the 70-200vr

-Suntan

Suntan: Your advice is well taken, and I'm sure you have a real love of photography. There are, however, some things to point out as anyone ventures into the world of DSLR.

First: Research, research, and then double check your research. http://www.dpreview.com is an excellent site to get tons of very excellent reviews and a very capable/pro/amateur photographer forum.

Second: The Canon Rebel XT is a great camera, especially for a first-timer with a DSLR. Do buy it "pre trip" and spend lots of time getting to understand all the features/benefits/downsides to the camera you chose.

Third: Remember that DSLR's are heavier than point and shoot cameras and take a little more muscle/coordination to take pictures. Since most are about 20 -24 ounces without a lense, this makes them roughly over two lbs. when you add a simple lense. Add a big monster like a 100-300mm and you're toting some weight.

Fourth: The Canon vs. Nikon brand is age old. Buy what you like. Try them out at a store and make sure the buttons/features are what you are looking for in a camera and they are placed where you feel comfortable to use them.

Fifth: Lenses for the "new" Digital SLR's are an interesting breed. Some of the cameras out there have an "issue" with compatibility when using non-brand lenses (examples are Tokina, Signa, etc.). PLEASE CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY A LENSE SO THAT YOU DON'T FIND OUT LATER THAT IT DOESN'T WORK ON YOUR CAMERA. There are options to resolving the problem, but it may be too late to do so before your trip. (Issues documented include lock-up of the camera and ability to focus.) Again, go back to tip 1) and research, research. If you are going to spend big bucks for lenses, it is often wise to remember that you may want to stick with the brand you start out with, since your lenses will hopefully be compatible in the future with an upgrade.

Sixth: Buy good brands of storage cards. Some of the off-brands have had issues with compatibility as well. Again, research. Since DSLR's use more space on the cards, it is also highly suggested that you buy as large a card as you can afford, or buy several 1 gig cards or more so you don't run out of room. Nothing like missing a great shot because you don't have enough room on your memory card. :D

I hope this helps with the planning/securing process.

About the lenses:

Short answer, yes IS on a 300 is a must. The photography rule of thumb for shutter speed is 1/focal length. For a 300mm lens on a Rebel XT, taking in consideration the camera’s 1.6 crop factor, the focal length becomes 480mm (300x1.6) and the shutter speed to reduce any blurring due to camera shake is 1/480. This kind of speed can only be achieved in bright light. Some people are able to hold a camera and long lens rock solid at much slower speeds—they must have been a tripod in a previous life—but the rest of us find it hard to impossible to do so in less than ideal light. One can shoot at slower speeds by either using a support, a tripod or monopod, or using a lens that has image stabilization (IS).

As41shots is pretty much right on about not needing IS for a wide angle lens. To add to what he said, these lenses are usually lighter and smaller and are much easier to hold. So the 18-55 is OK without it.

It sounds as if you asked this IS question because you were wondering about the other kit lens, the 17-85 IS. This is a much better quality—and expensive—lens, with an extremely useful zoom range, the equivalent of 27-136mm in 35mm terms. And the IS allows slow shutter speeds in poor light. When I bought my Rebel XT that’s the lens I chose and am extremely happy with it. But then I’ve had extensive experience with 35mm film cameras and had a really good idea of where I wanted to go when it came to the lenses I was going to buy for my camera kit. Personally in your case I’d go with the 18-55. It’s a good learning lens and really inexpensive so you’re not really out very much if you decide to upgrade to a better lens/lenses once you’ve gained some experience and a idea of where you want to go with photography.

Before you buy anything, do go to a camera store and handle a Rebel XT. I love the smaller size of it but some people find it too small for their hands. And whatever you buy, do it well before your Alaska trip, read the manual through several times and take lots and lots of pictures beforehand so you’re totally familiar with the camera.

Happy picture taking.

Two additional things. Canon normally offers rebates in April, usually around the 15th. And if you do go for a Canon 300 zoom, be sure is the new 70-300 IS not the older, cheaper and not as good, both in terms of IS and optical quality, 75-300 IS.

@ crusingici: Thank you so much for posting. I really appreciate you confirming what I was thinking!

When do you upgrade / switch to an SLR?

Now I'm really curious about the S3 as well. I wonder if that's so much better than the S2!

Do you think it's better to waiting until next christmas-time-period to buy a camera? Does the technology market really change that much before then? Also, do the prices go down that much?

I am excited and I appreciate the information!

When do you upgrade / switch to an SLR?

When you feel the functions of a point and shoot don't give you the creative flexibility you want. Also, when your budget can afford it....very expensive hobby!

Now I'm really curious about the S3 as well. I wonder if that's so much better than the S2!

Read the reviews on-line from early reports of the S3. It sounds like a very good upgrade to S2 with some additional features. Read the report under 'camera reviews' on http://www.dpreview.com

Do you think it's better to waiting until next christmas-time-period to buy a camera? Does the technology market really change that much before then? Also, do the prices go down that much?

Timing really is all about what/when you want to buy a camera. Camera technology is changing all the time, and what is on top now, may be on bottom in December. It is like buying a computer....just wait a few months and they'll have another latest and greatest. I always try to buy what I need/want at the time when it seems right for me. If I kept waiting, I'd never buy one...

If you are looking to get a P&S then more than likely yes. Waiting will bring lower prices or newer models.

For D-SLRs it is less certain. I would guess that small updates at best would be made to any of the entry level bodies. The lenses will not change much price-wise, but new ones could come out. Nikon has a 18-200 AF-S VR lens that just came out and is a great all around travel lens (but currently suffers from availability issues due to its popularity). Plus they are close to releasing a 70-300VR. I am sure Canon is working on some stuff as well.

Normally, major product announcments occur during the PMA show (happened about a month ago) and at Photokina (normally happens in October). With a few random announcments scattered throughout the year.

fwiw, if you intend to get a D-SLR, I would suggest giving yourself a longer learning period. Not that it is harder to use, but that people tend to learn SLRs more in depth than P&Ss. Plus you should give yourself some time to decide if there are any other/additional lenses you may want to add to your kit.

As for deciding if you should go P&S vs SLR. That is a tough one. Check out some of the photo websites for there take. Personally, I tell people that they should consider an SLR when they think the size and weight are not an issue and that they might want to get into photography as a hobby.

-Suntan

Read the reviews on-line from early reports of the S3. It sounds like a very good upgrade to S2 with some additional features. Read the report under 'camera reviews' on http://www.dpreview.com

Wow, I seriously must be missing it. I see the S2 and S1 review, but can't find the S3 (must be too late). Do you have a direct link? Thanks!

@ Suntan Sailer: Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. I think I'll go in and look at the cameras. If I can't decide something is perfect, then I might wait a bit.

I appreciate everyone's information!

Suntan

Sounds like you have had the lens fever pretty bad!!! Hope there was no lasting damage!!! I am partial to Nikon products, still have 8008s as main camera, switching from Olympus when the eyes started to get worse. Also have Oly c-750 digital with 10x zoom which is ok and does well in bright sunlight. Not so good for low light.

Why is there no Sigma 400 in your pack? That sounds like a lot of lens to carry around with the digital. Any problems with your D70s? I have read a lot of posts on issues with this camera, much more than D50. Trying to see if I can rationalize the D200. Don't like to carry bigger and heavier bag as I get older and just want to enjoy what I see and capture the images.

My issue right now is should I buy Nikon dslr to utilize my older cheaper Nikon lenses (20mm,28-85, 70-200) and Tokina 400AF or go with newer,smaller, lighter digital lenses for a Canon or Nikon? The other problem for me is the 6 meg size on D50 and D70s.

Now I forgot Jimcat's original question, but I am sure I didn't answer it!!!

@JohnQ

I have a D70, not the D70s (only real difference is that the D70s has a slightly larger LCD). It works very well.

The main difference between the D50 and the D70s is the use of SD card on D50 (not a big deal), no commander mode for remote flash (somewhat of a deal to me), and smaller body (big deal to me as I have big hands), the D50 is also set up to provide print ready pics at default settings (levels and such amped plus a more aggressive noise reduction algorithm).

The D70 works very well, a lot of the comments made about it were due to its default settings. The body is set up, by default to underexpose (to prevent blown highlights) dailing in +1/3 or +2/3 EV is all that is needed.

Film vs digital comes down to 1 main thing in my book (not counting the obvious like no film to worry about, changing ISO speed at will, etc.) Dynamic Range (D-SLRs are not as forgiving as print film in this regard) D-SLRs give you about as much DR as slide film, but they tend to blow highlights more abruptly than slide film. Making for a slightly less subtle transition to blown out highlights. Just something you need to be aware of while shooting.

One thing I would say about the D70 and the D200, the D200 has a much better pentaprizm layout than the D70. As such the viewfinder is much bigger/brighter to work with. I have no need to upgrade the D70 to the D200, but it would be nice to have that bigger viewfinder.

Lastly, as for the lowly 6mp in the D70. 8x10 prints are wonderful, even with slight cropping done beforehand, and a lot of people say they have had no problems printing much higher.

As for not having the 80-400OS, well the Mrs. would not allow both the 80-400OS and the 70-200VR until she gets a 5 bedroom house. And as much as it would be great for nature and birding, I also like to shoot kart racing and indoor hockey.

-Suntan

Nikon is working on adding VR (their version of image stabilzation) and possibly AF-S (their version of ultrasonic focusing) to the 70-300 4-5.6 lens.

It was supposed to be ready for PMA last month, but they had issues of some kind and had to delay its release. Currently it is not known when it will be released, maybe a couple of months from now. Maybe tomorrow.

If the image quality is acceptable, it will be a very nice lens for people that want a compact telephoto range lens. AF-S makes focusing fast and quite, while VR allows people to shoot at these long focal lengths without worrying about holding the lens perfictly still. It has been a glaring omission in Nikons lineup for a while.

My guess is that it will probably be priced, and perform, in line with the canon offering.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=397663&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

-Suntan

Nikon is working on adding VR (their version of image stabilzation) and possibly AF-S (their version of ultrasonic focusing) to the 70-300 4-5.6 lens.

It was supposed to be ready for PMA last month, but they had issues of some kind and had to delay its release. Currently it is not known when it will be released, maybe a couple of months from now. Maybe tomorrow.

If the image quality is acceptable, it will be a very nice lens for people that want a compact telephoto range lens. AF-S makes focusing fast and quite, while VR allows people to shoot at these long focal lengths without worrying about holding the lens perfictly still. It has been a glaring omission in Nikons lineup for a while.

My guess is that it will probably be priced, and perform, in line with the canon offering.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=397663&is=USA&addedTroughType=search

-Suntan

Wow, that is out of my price range. I'll definitely stick with the P&Ss already suggested.

Thank you so much for you opinions!

Archived