Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

There has been a lot of good advice given in this thread. Before going to Alaska in 2004 I decided I wanted a "good" camera and ended up purchasing the Canon Digital Rebel which is 6.3 mp and has been replaced by the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I purchased it with the "kit" lens which is 18-55mm and also purchased the Canon 75-300 IS lens. I took along my laptop, a 512 card, a 1 gig card, circular polarizing filter and my budget was maxed out. This set up allowed me to take some great pictures which you can see at www.jprphotos.com All of the Alaska photos were taken with the above lenses. Equipment is important but the person behind the camera is more important so don't get carried away worrying about the equipment. Alaska is so beautiful it makes us all look good. Very important is to buy your camera early and practice, practice, practice and don't forget to actually READ the manual SEVERAL times. I purchased my Canon Rebel 5 months in advance of the trip. On the trip I took over 3,000 photos and loved every minute of it. So get out there and enjoy yourself.

... Equipment is important but the person behind the camera is more important so don't get carried away worrying about the equipment...

JP makes a great point.

Which is exactly why I stopped buying new drivers and putters :D.

I have the same camera as JPCruising and I hate to admit I have not used it to it's max, even while cruising Hawaii. I don't think my 75-300 is an IS...

My question is this.... if I want to add to my 18-55mm and my 75-300mm with a wide angle... which is the best for Alaska? We will be there next summer and I plan to spend the next year+ really getting to know this great camera that I own. I also need to research polarizing filters, but will work on that soon. Any ideas?

BTW - thanks for the GREAT info on this thread! It is fantastic!

Hi Suzie,

Until the techno experts reply with their instant specs, I will respond. I think in Alaska, the telephoto is far more important due to wildlife shooting. Your existing lens gives you about 27mm for widest, right? There will not be many times you need more than that. And if you do, you can stitch panaramic I believe. I carry a 20mm for my film Nikon but seldom use it for more than one or two shots on most trips. A shot of the whole glacier like Hubbard Glacier would be nice shot if light is right.

Check this months issue of Popular Photography, or their website at Popphoto.com for review of ultra wide angle lens. I think their tests showed that Canon and Nikon brands were slightly better but I'm not looking at article as I say this. It basically comes down to how much you want to pay for a 10-20 or12-24mm versus how often you will use. And unless you paid $600 or more for your telephoto, it is probably not a VR. Post some photos for us.

The thought of full glacier shots is what got me thinking about the wide angle lens... but you are right and I probably wouldn't use it much after this particular trip. I am sure my 75-300mm is not IS, because I remember paying less than $200 for it. But at the time, I wasn't sure what I was doing. I have the next year or so, to really learn how to use it.

We are not going into Denali since we are doing a RT from Vancouver that doesn't go up to Anchorage. So, not sure what excursions we will be on for wildlife. I was surely thinking more of great views than anything else. But since I have never been to Alaska, I am not sure what to expect. I am glad I am thinking about all of this now, since I didn't use this camera to it's potential in Hawaii for sure! I will take it up with me to Tahoe this weekend and play with "snow shots".

@Suzie

Personally, I have the Sigma EX 10-20 HSM (in Nikon mount, but they make a Canon mount as well.) I am very happy with it.

Here is a link to a review of 3 of the "3rd party contenders" (plus the Nikon 12-24) Even though it has a decidedly Nikon point of view, the reviews are still valid. I have no experience of the quality of any of Canons WA offerings.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html

How much you would use an extreme WA is up to your type of shooting. I find I use it everytime I go out shooting, and I would never leave for a vacation without it.

Here are a few from a buisness trip to Galway, Ireland about 2 months ago:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1279/dsc22316yr.jpg

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/6278/dsc22891ii.jpg

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/5005/dsc22264dz.jpg

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/8092/dsc23075fl.jpg

The last picture gives you an idea of the unique persective you can get from a WA.

-Suntan

I think this is the type of photo I am looking for. I love the idea of getting great shots of the scenery while on our vacations. I would rather shoot scenery than wildlife most of the time. I will definitely do some research into this and see if it is worth my while. Now - to find a way to sell pics to pay for all of this stuff! :)

Suzi,

Hope you have nice trip to Tahoe. We were up there in Jan in middle of storms and it was nice with all the snow at lake level. Since they have had 10-15' of snow since, it should be good. A fresh sprinkling in the trees makes nice shots.

As far as your polarizer, they are nice. Be sure and get one from reputable company and get as thin a mount as possible to help avoid problems with wider angle lens. I think they start at about $30 and go to over a $100, depending on which size for your lenses.

Suntan,

Nice shots, but are any of them at max width? Don't seem to be as low as 15mm? I do like their compact rental cars though!!! I think that is one of the lenses in the article I mentioned earlier.

So all of the stuff re D70,D70s on the photo website boards is no real problem? I got gunshy, not wanting to spend that much to buy something that has problems or company not standing behind them. My son is currently fighting with Minolta and Casio over problems and their refusal to do anything about not working.

Suzi, keep in mind that the Rebel XT may have some "issues" with third party lenses. If you want to buy one, I suggest you check the photo message boards (websites previously given) to ask if the lense you want to buy is working well with the Rebel XT. Sometimes, you have to send the lense to the manufacturer to have them "fix" the compatibility issue.

I agree with "SunTan" that a wide angle lense is invaluable....just don't know if I'd be interested in bringing an "extreme" wide angle lense to Alaska. I'll be buying the Canon 17-40L before we leave. This is a great all around lense, although it ain't cheap! After using one on my friend's camera, I just had to have it! LOL!

John Q - thanks for the tip on the polarizer. Although I have had my camera for some time, I still need to learn alot about it. Batteries are all charged for Tahoe... supposed to snow on Saturday, so I am looking forward to that. As long as it isn't snowing while we are driving up tomorrow.

tinkerme1 - my Rebel isn't an XT... isn't that the newest one that is not up to like 8 megapixels? Mine is the Digital Rebel EOS, that came out a couple of years ago. That only goes to 6.3. I say only, but really that is more than the average person needs. Not sure what I was thinking when I bought this camera, but I do love it! So far I have only purchased Canon lenses, but am open to other options as my skills and collection grows.

Thanks everyone!

I would certainly keep all your options open. I am forever learning more each day about digital photography and this habit I've acquired! LOL!

The advice I gave is for "any" of the Canon Rebel products. I'd just hate to see anyone go out and buy a lens for a specific trip and then have it 'not work'. Signa and Tokina, as examples, make some very nice lenses indeed. The key is to make sure they will be compatible with your sensor and auto focus functions.

Have a great trip to Tahoe! It must be really nice up there now. Enjoy.

w/ respect to 3rd party lenses. Just be aware that when researching through various photography forums looking for advice on what lens to get, they do tend to have their fair share of 'elitist snobs' that will tell you any lens made by a third party (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc.) is a piece of junk and that any lens made by the OEM (Canon/Nikon) is better. This is not strictly true. Canon and Nikon make a lot of great lenses, but they make a few stinkers too. Likewise, the third party lens makers make some real top quality lenses, as well as some poor lenses.

Just take information you get from complete strangers on the internet with a grain of salt. :cool:

-Suntan

\

Just take information you get from complete strangers on the internet with a grain of salt. :cool:

-Suntan

There are no strangers here... just fellow cruisers whom we haven't met yet. ;)

And all this talk about cameras and lenses made me take the plunge and buy the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L. I knew these free bulletin boards would somehow end up costing me.

As we all get prepared for our next cruise, I'd like to share a bit of misfortune with you, so no one makes the same stupid mistake I did. Last summer we cruised out of Miami on Explorer of the Seas, Western Caribbean itinerary. I owned a Lowepro Computrekker, which looks exactly like a backpack:

CompuTrekAW_left_stuffn_1_n.jpg

Whenver I travel, I never ever let it out of my site.

Except once.

We were at the pier and had just checked our bags. The porter loaded all of our suitcases on to a luggage cart and appeared to be about to roll it right down to the ship, and asked if I wanted him to take the backpack. We had the two kids, a bunch of other carry-on stuff, and I thought about it and figured "Well, it's not obviously a camera bag since it looks like a knapsack, I see where he is taking it onboard, and I have so much other junk to carry.....well, OK."

Later when all of our luggage was delivered to our room, needless to say it wasn't delivered with the rest of our luggage. The knapsack never showed up. Our cabin attendant told me that there are many thieves at the Miami port. Needless to say I was sick to my stomach over it... more because I would not have the equipment for the cruise than the cost, because I knew that my homeowner's insurance would cover it. Plus, I was so angry at myself for being so stupid, which only compounded things. In the bag were my digital SLR, two lenses, dedicated flash, four camera batteries, my digital camcorder, each of the kids' digital point and shoot, 2 1gb memory cards, a brand new waterproof housing for my son's Canon A80, and other stuff that I can't remember now. So, not that anyone here is anywhere near as stupid as I, but keep your cameras close. The only consolation was getting to go on a spending spree for new stuff once the insurance check came.

as41shots: What a story......I feel your pain. It was good that your Homeowners Insurance covered your camera and contents. I would probably want to drink very heavily if I lost my bag like that!

And yes, I think there are many of us out there that get "dazed and confused" when we have the kids in tow and forget to make a good decision. I've been there.

It is wise to point out that some Homeowner Insurance policies don't cover your camera equipment unless you have a separate insurance policy tacked onto it. So, check carefully before leaving home with expensive equipment.

I do try and minimize what I take with me, and I've even given in to using the non-Canon neck strap so that I don't advertise what I am using. :eek:

Oh my - that is horrible. Nice bag, but horrible story. My next thought was a nice bag to carry my "collection" in that didn't attract too much attention... ah! The things I can think to spend money on!

Glad you had coverage on your HO policy.... I would have been SICK.

I feel your pain. I do a bit of travel for work, mostly international. When I go I have one bag that never leaves my side. It has my passport, tickets, etc. A change of clothes, toothbrush, etc.

When I travel for pleasure, with the whole camera rig, that backpack is the one that nevers leaves my side.

I agree to check your homeowners policy. I have a rider set up which specifically calls out all of the camera gear I own. It costs about $15 more a year, but if the stuff is lost/stolen/damaged I get full replacement with no deductable.

As for bags, I just ordered the Kata R-102. Which is a medium to small sized pack. Another advantage is that it does not say 'lowepro' or 'Tamrac' on it.

Krumpler is also a good brand of bag maker that offer a couple of different slinger (single strap around the shoulder) camera bags that do not look like camera bags (they look like regular book bags), but they are a little steep in price imo.

A good place to check out bags is:

http://www.cambags.com

-Suntan

I forgot to mention before, but anyone that has a tripod thread (small 1/4 20 threaded hole) on the bottom of their camera should add a table top tripod to their kit. They are invaluable for the inevitable "prop the camera on a table or chair, then jam a couple of brochures under on side to make it sorta level, and then set the timer so you can get in the picture with everone else" shots.

They are also very useful for bracing the camera against railing/walls/street posts/trash cans/etc. when the light is low and shutter speeds are such that you would normally get a blurry result. Just place the mini tripod on the supporting object (even placing them sideways on a wall) then press down on the little legs with your supporting hand to steady it. Take the picture with your other hand. It will not replace a proper tripod, but a proper tripod is both very expensive and very bulky for vacationing.

Table top tripods are very cheap and can be slipped into the smallest of accessory pockets in a bag.

Just a note, some come with 'dangly' legs (little more than piano wire coiled up) that should be avoided. They offer only to annoy people, and can not be used in the method explained above (by placing a hand on the legs to forcably push them against a supporting object).

Here is an example of a decent one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=272488&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

-Suntan

This is really an interesting thread. I finally finished the income tax today and got it in the mail, so now I have time to comment on some of the posts.

Suzie, at this time I’d really recommend that you don’t get an ultra wide lens. Instead, since you don’t use all your camera’s features, I suggest you spend the next six months learning your camera backwards and forwards. Start by reading the instruction manual and come back to it every several weeks. Then take pictures, lots of pictures 10 or 20 or 30 a day under all kinds of lighting conditions and with all kind of subjects. Digital isn’t like film, once you buy your memory cards images are free. You don’t even have to keep them on your hard drive, if you need space on the drive, you can always burn the pictures on CDs or DVDs. Besides practice taking pictures, work of your post processing skills, either on the included Canon software, or Adobe PhotoShop Elements or Abode PhotoShop CS. By the time the six months are up you’ll have a better idea of the direction you’ll want to go. You may find that you’re ready for a super wide, a better telephoto, maybe primes or perhaps even upgrading your camera. Or you may just decide that a DSLR isn’t for you.

Unfortunately, when you buy a DSLR you almost always catch DSLR fever, for which there is no known cure, although limited finances or a very determined stubborn spouse have been known to slow it down.

Some 3rd party manufacturers make some very fine lens, particularly Sigma and to a lesser extent Tamron. Some of those lenses match their Canon and Nikon counterparts in optical quality and construction. However, there’s another important part of the lens, the chips that allow the lens to communicate with the camera. In the past Canon made a very slight, subtle change to one of its camera bodies which allowed the chip in the lens to either communicate more information or maybe to improve exposure or focusing. It didn’t affect Canon lens, but it did play hob with some Sigma lenses. Sigma rechipped their customers’ newer lenses for them at no charge, but anyone who owned an older lens was out of luck, Sigma refused to update them even if the customer was willing to pay. As a personal preference I always buy OEM lens even though they’re more expensive usually. It helps fight the “I have to have one of everything” urge. On the other hand, if you like a 3rd party lens, like the reviews it has received and are happy with the price, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.

I have a Canon 10-22 ultra wide. It’s a great lens. I find that my Canon 17-85 IS is wide enough most of the time, but when I want something wider I go with the 10-22. The best feature of an ultra wide, besides the zoom range, is its incredible depth of field when stopped down to f/11 or f/16. You can literally have things in sharp focus from 2’ to infinity. This can make for some dramatic pictures when you have an object in the very near foreground, especially if you get down low.

Most homeowner policies only cover camera gear up to a certain level, which isn’t very high. If you have some expensive gear you should talk to your insurance agent to see if you should get a camera rider for your policy.

as41shots I have a question for you about your Lowepro Computrekker that went missing. I don’t normally travel with a laptop but am considering taking one for our July Alaska cruise. I’m debating whether to just take my existing camera bag and my computer bag or buy the Computrekker to only have one bag to deal with. I looked at a Computrekker yesterday but have a question about the computer storage pocket on the bag. My older Mac TiBook is 1” in height. The dimensions of the bag look fine for the computer’s width and depth but it looks tight for the height and might put pressure on the computer. Did you find this so and did you have any problems with this?

Happy picture taking.

as41shots I have a question for you about your Lowepro Computrekker that went missing. I don’t normally travel with a laptop but am considering taking one for our July Alaska cruise. I’m debating whether to just take my existing camera bag and my computer bag or buy the Computrekker to only have one bag to deal with. I looked at a Computrekker yesterday but have a question about the computer storage pocket on the bag. My older Mac TiBook is 1” in height. The dimensions of the bag look fine for the computer’s width and depth but it looks tight for the height and might put pressure on the computer. Did you find this so and did you have any problems with this?

Happy picture taking.

OC - I rebought the Computrekker bag during my insurance shopping spree. Fortunately, my wife's work laptop computer was not taken on the trip, so that was not lost. The only time we ever took it I did not notice it being a tight fit, but her laptop is a little thinner than yours. However, it seemed like a nice fit.. not too loose, not to tight. I'm sorry that this probably does not help you all that much. If you don't have a local dealer, then maybe you can find one in Shutterbug or Pop Photo that does not have a restocking fee if it doesn't work out for you.

And I agree with your first sentence in your last post... this has been an interesting thread, and an excellent one IMHO.

While I wasn't able to take any pics on the Explorer cruise last summer, here are two of my favorites from a 5 day Canada cruise we took summer 2004:

58867343.jpg

135213931.jpg

In the second picture the guy with the crazy look and hat was the "captain" of a high power tour boat that took a high speed spin around the Reversing Falls at the Bay of Fundy in St. John, New Brunswick. I have always enjoyed taking pictures of the "locals", regardless of the "locales".

This is really an interesting thread. I finally finished the income tax today and got it in the mail, so now I have time to comment on some of the posts.

Happy picture taking.

I have a Lowepro Mini trekker that can house my hp laptop.. what are the dimensions of your laptop.. I will then measure them against mine and see if it is a fit.. I think the Computrekker is larger then the Mini for sure.

I do always check it in myself ( carry on the airlines) and the ship. It is a back pack as well, so I have no problem toting it around. I just do not carry the laptop anymore.

Jim

Good afternoon!

I went to the store today to look at the differences between the Canon S2 and the Sony H1. I LOVED the Canon S2 and thought it was great. I also asked about the S3 and if they knew something about it. They didn't. But, the reason I ended up not buying the camera was because the Sony H1 was discontinued and I had nothing to compare it to.....

Does anyone know anything about what is replacing the Sony H1?

Thank you!!!!!!

Have been looking at the Canon S3 and hoping- it improves a bit on the S2, but doesn't ship until sometime in May- and we leave for Alaska May 22! Like the zoom during movie feature, higher ISO (up to 800), 6 MG vs. 5. Nobody selling for less than the MSRP of $499., so maybe the S2 is a better deal. Haven't heard about the Sony, sorry.

Archived