Day Hikes on our own while on Cruisetour

Pair of Hikers

Lots of great information on here about visiting Alaska. We are booked on a HAL cruisetour (so while I see a lot of advice to book land independently, that ship has sailed) which begins on May 27.  We love to hike and want to take advantage of any opportunities to do so when we have "free" time from the tour. I'm looking for confirmation that we've picked good hikes (or not) and would welcome any suggestions for alternatives or must do excursions. We are seasoned New England hikers who are familiar with steep, muddy and rocky trails. Biggest difference seems that we will have to be VERY bear aware, make noise and get bear spray. Seeing mixed reviews on guided tours so thinking we'll strike out on our own unless we meet some fellow hikers in our group (and how awesome that would be!).

We travel to Denali on May 28th and arrive at the train depot around 4:40. Since it stays light so late we are thinking that it would be great to try to do the Horseshoe Lake Trail after arriving at our hotel. Even if we have to walk to the trailhead and back from the hotel it looks very doable. The next morning we are on the Toklat TWT  in the morning - no other details with start time. Again, the easy to access trail appears to be the Mt. Healy Overlook Trail. Looks like some challenge but very comfortable for a few hours of getting nice views and stretching our legs. And on a non-hiking interest if you have any info about the likelihood of seeing the sled dogs as I know official tours start June 1.

Fairbanks finds us free in the late afternoon. It doesn't look like there is any hiking we can do without a car but I see the Creamer Fields that we can walk to from town. Does anyone know anything about the University of Alaska Fairbanks trails? Would we need to cab there? Are they easy to get to? I would love to visit the large animal research station but unless we have time the following morning before flying to Dawson City (no times listed) that doesn't seem possible. Any suggestions for other interesting things to do in Fairbanks?

In Dawson City we'll walk to the Midnight Dome. Looks easy enough. Great reviews of Tombstone Park but unless we could get up early and do some great hiking with a private company I don't think more hours on a bus is the right thing. I'd rather walk around town and enjoy not traveling for a day unless it is strongly recommended by folks who have done the bus excursion. Any other walking suggestions in town? We are there 2 nights.

Whitehorse. We get in late afternoon. They offer a Miles Canyon excursion that doesn't have great reviews. Is it possible to get there on our own? Can we walk or cab to the trailhead for Fish Lake? That doesn't look too difficult but in early June not sure if we would hit snow or mud or both? Any other suggestions for stretching our legs and seeing some nature??

Skagway. We overnight in a hotel before joining our ship so a great opportunity to walk around our first afternoon and evening. Thinking we would hike Lower Dewey Lake and likely Upper Dewey Lake (but seems like many possibilities to do the Icy Lake or Sturgills Landing from the junction at Lower Dewey). Since we are already in town we can start early and it should be no problem to do the 6 or so miles before heading to our boat.

Ketchican. Hike or scenic flight. So torn. A little nervous about the small plane but the Misty Fjords floatplanes have great reviews and I'm wondering if we'd regret NOT doing it. If we keep our feet on the ground, our best bet looks like Deer Mountain which is a 5 mile RT with great views. Reviews I've read say to cab to trailhead. Other hikes seem further out of town. Would love feedback here.

I know this was long, but easier to put it all in one post. I think a lot of our other questions have been answered. This will be our first cruise and our first time to Alaska. The responses to other posts are so helpful I figured I would take the plunge and post myself. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I haven't been yet but these are the hikes I am planning on doing on our stops.  We are doing some excursions on our own so I'm trying to do some stuff on my own during the cruise.  Plus I like to trail run so why not get some miles in?

Skagway - Lower Dewey, Upper Dewy, Devil’s Punchbowl

Juneau - drive out to Mendenhall with our group, Nugget Falls and West Glacier trail

depending on time out there, run/hike up Mt Roberts trail solo and depending on timing go all the way to the top.  If timing doesn't work, take the tram down and back to the ship. (spend $10 in the gift shop and get a ride down)

Ketchikan - Run/Hike Deer Mountain trail

If you haven't, check out the maps/reviews on AllTrails, I got some good info from there as well as searching this forum.

Oh, in Denali, see if you can cancel your tour and get on one that goes in farther, like to Eielson and do a hike out from there.  We are doing one of the non-narrated buses that go out there.  Cost effective and we get to see a lot of the park.