DJI Osmo pocket

Just came across a new "toy" that I wanted to share with my friends here.

As a serious Sony shooter, I followed the news of the release of the Sony Rx0ii, which looked like a fantastic vlogging camera, casual travel video, etc..

Which led me to do some research.. thought I was going to purchase the RX0ii... but after research, I settled on the DJI Osmo Pocket.

And wow... this can re-define casual travel video (and some photography). As a first generation product, it has a ton of design flaws -- they prioritized keeping the size and price down. THey have accessories which should have just been built in, even if it increased the size and price a bit. Some other flaws.

But why I'm wowed --- It's teeny tiny. Like easily fit in a pocket tiny. It shoots 4k video at up to 60fps. 

But the truly big selling point - yes, you can do 4k video on your phone. But it will always have a shaky quality. The Osmo is built on a gimbal.. Completely handheld without any other equipment, your video is shake-free.. and motion takes on a smooth cinematic feel. 

Because the camera can control it's own movement, for photography, you can get perfectly stitched panoramas.

For video -- selfie-vlogging is super easy (the camera head just flips backwards). Because the camera head moves, it can even follow your face.

And a big thing for travel video: Lots of cameras can do time lapses. But the Osmo can do motion time lapses. Pan across the sky/landscape while doing a timelapse of the setting sun.

I'm still primarily a photographer. But this is a good example for me, why I wouldn't rely on my full frame ILC cameras for video, when this tiny device brings a whole lot of superior video capability compared to the camera. (In low light, the video quality isn't good..... certainly a large sensor camera does better then. And it's fixed lens.. if I want more telephoto or wide, it's a good reason to use the ILC camera. Certainly, you can use the devices in conjunction with each other. But this tiny little camera can be used much more simply than an ILC and can do things you just can't do with an ILC).  

I may do a blog post about it eventually.. but thought I'd share it here first, and see if anyone else has tried it. 

4 hours ago, havoc315 said:

I may do a blog post about it eventually.. but thought I'd share it here first, and see if anyone else has tried it. 

Aloha Justin!

After reading your post, I looked at the Verge for more details and probably will look at some more sites for their imputl

Would be asking too much if the Osmo had a zoom!

Be interested in seeing your blog post if you should do one.

Incidentally, any comments on gimbals for the Sony A6xxx?

Best wishes

I

1 minute ago, tommui987 said:

Aloha Justin!

After reading your post, I looked at the Verge for more details and probably will look at some more sites for their imputl

Would be asking too much if the Osmo had a zoom!

Be interested in seeing your blog post if you should do one.

Incidentally, any comments on gimbals for the Sony A6xxx?

Best wishes

I'm Adam.. Not Justin.....

Zackie is Justin...

I can live without the zoom for the purposes of this camera. I never seriously considered gimbals for the A6xxx -- Because I wasn't doing much video and gimbals are bulky and expensive.

I like the idea of a video camera that is smaller than my cell phone... but super smooth. 

On 4/4/2019 at 8:48 AM, havoc315 said:

I

I'm Adam.. Not Justin.....

Zackie is Justin...

Mea culpa - you would think I would remember having bought a lens from you!

Edited by tommui987
forgot to put in the reply