Excursions iconic western Mediterranean

Michael50

Hi everyone,  we are going on our first viking ocean, iconic western Mediterranean,  would love recommendations for excursions,  including the ones that viking offer and some on our own. We are very active , hiking, walking, etc, . 

The trip leaves in November 

Thanks so much

Helene 

10 hours ago, Michael50 said:

Hi everyone,  we are going on our first viking ocean, iconic western Mediterranean,  would love recommendations for excursions,  including the ones that viking offer and some on our own. We are very active , hiking, walking, etc, . 

The trip leaves in November 

Thanks so much

Helene 

Such an open ended question. Might be easier if you narrow down your choices and then we can reply with our thoughts on the various tours on your short list.

November is a great time to be travelling in this region. Weather may be a bit chilly and damp but the lines will be so much shorter.

In the meantime, there are a number of existing threads for this itinerary with some discussion of the excursions.

Live from the Western Mediterranean

Christmas in the Mediterranean?

Iconic western Mediterranean

Hi again, we are starting from Barcelona - 3 days on our own, ending in Rome - we added two nights .  I haven't seen the excursions yet that's being offered from Viking -  We booked our hotels in Barcelona and Rome on our own. 

This is our first time in Europe and we're hoping to take advantage of great tours either thru Viking or on our own. Looking to all of you for some great recommendations.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael,

My wife and I took this cruise last November, our first cruise ever. I can tell that you have enough time in Barcelona and Rome before and after and that you already know what to experience. I will just say that that the only thing I am glad we did was the included trip to Montserrat, it was a little bit of a bus ride (1 hour) to get there, but it was an amazing site and one I would gladly do again. There is not much that you have to exert unless you want to. Monte Carlo, I would do it all on your own, the only language I know is English, my wife Indian Kanataka and english, but we got around on public transportation just fine. go at your own pace and enjoy everything(Such a beautiful place). Marseilles (Not So Much) Livorno, take the bus to Leaning tower of Pisa and go, a little bit of walking but such a fantastic place. Had 2 days in Livorno, second day we went to Florence and did that on our own as well, such a beautiful place.You have mentioned your hiking ability, this will test you, but you can get around everywhere here by walking (me and wife are in early 40's) and walked everywhere here, absolutely wonderful city, you will get approached by many to do tours, they all speak english, so just figure it out what you want to do.  Rome, just get one of the tour passes each day for the busses (Like $15) and you can get on and off as you please to all of the places that are familiar and work the tour guides down for whatever you want to visit, and use yelp for where you want to eat you will be fine.

I have done this itinerary twice and by walking around on your own you will miss out on what a tour guide would have told/showed you about the beautiful city. There are many reviews on this itinerary on here, so lots of good reading and ideas. Viking offers tours to get you to Florence then take you back, this is much easier then trying to do on your own if it's your first time. A little research will show that taking the right tour will not cost much more or give you much more time thers while taking the stress out of your day. 

On 4/8/2019 at 10:42 PM, Michael50 said:

Hi again, we are starting from Barcelona - 3 days on our own, ending in Rome - we added two nights .  I haven't seen the excursions yet that's being offered from Viking -  We booked our hotels in Barcelona and Rome on our own. 

This is our first time in Europe and we're hoping to take advantage of great tours either thru Viking or on our own. Looking to all of you for some great recommendations.

Thanks again

Hi, I am still researching hotels in Rome and Barcelona for our pre and post Iconic mediterranean cruise in November. Was wondering if you have any hotel recomendations/insight from your research ? Thanks!

Hotel Splendide Royale in Rome was wonderful. The staff couldn’t have been more friendly and helpful. Our room was beautiful. We had a balcony that looked over the Borghese Park toward the Vatican City. The bathroom was big with marble accents. We opted to include breakfast with our room. A little more expensive, but worth it. It was fantastic! Lots of choices and the view over the Borghese Park while dining was great. By having a big breakfast you can skip lunch, unless you are a 3 meals a day person, and have an early dinner. An afternoon gelato or piece of fruit would hold us over. Hint: the restaurant on the top floor is extremely expensive, bottled water 12 euros...we passed! So many local places to eat, delicious and inexpensive.

El Palace Hotel in Barcelona was very nice. A little older, more traditional. Big rooms, great bathroom. Again we opted to include breakfast. Breakfast was fantastic! The coffee was the best hotel coffee I’ve had. The staff was also friendly and very helpful. The hotel is in the middle in town, convenient and fun for walking around. 

We also did several tours in both cities through Viator. They were fantastic!!! After doing the historic sites, as this was our first time in both cities so those sites were a must, we opted for a few additional tours that sounded fun and informative. ’The Jewish Ghetto Navona Food Wine and Sightseeing Tour’ in Rome was one of our favorites. So much food, come hungry! Our tour guide, Georgia, was a delight. In Barcelona one of our favorite tours was the ‘Tapas and Wine Experience Small Group Tour’. Our guide, Nick, was so much fun. We visited several different tapas bars with a side trip to a great olive oil shop, which also had balsamic vinegars and unusual pates. All our tours were small groups of 4-6. From our experience I would highly recommend Viator.

Just writing all this down is making me long to return. Have a wonderful cruise everyone!

On 5/15/2019 at 3:13 PM, RavensFan2011 said:

Hi, I am still researching hotels in Rome and Barcelona for our pre and post Iconic mediterranean cruise in November. Was wondering if you have any hotel recomendations/insight from your research ? Thanks!

We did Hotel Gaudi in Barcelona and loved it.  Right across the street from Palau Guell  (usually on most maps highlighted.)and about half a block of La Rambla.  Close to the port.  Not too bad pricewise.  We did stay in on or the rooms that overlooked the Palau across the street and that was always a great reminder that this was going to be one special trip.  We also did 3 days precruise and could go back and see more.

DSC00189.JPG

DSC00196.JPG