question about upper bunks

asmitty

Our daughter will be in the room with us on Zenith 2/20 and this will be the first time we will have a cabin with bunks (are they called berths?). How high up are these things and do they have railings to keep one from falling onto the floor? She (DD) is a wild sleeper and I have visions of her spilling out onto the floor. Maybe she should sleep with her Dad in the real bed.

Our daughter will be in the room with us on Zenith 2/20 and this will be the first time we will have a cabin with bunks (are they called berths?). How high up are these things and do they have railings to keep one from falling onto the floor? She (DD) is a wild sleeper and I have visions of her spilling out onto the floor. Maybe she should sleep with her Dad in the real bed.

yes, there are rails on the bunk beds.

Haven't had uppers on X but have on RCCL. There are rails to keep you in. I would assume they all would as a matter of safety. My son was 7 when he first slept up there. He is pretty wild with his feet sometimes ending up on the pillow. He was fine up there. He loved it. The beds below can either be apart or together. We usually keep ours apart because it is easier to have the lower beds directly below the uppers. Makes more floor space in the middle.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

Thanks for the info. Our room says it will have a permanent double bed and one upper bunk. From what I have heard, the bunks are really uncomfortable, so if there is indeed a rail, my DD can have it. When we took her on HAL, she slept on a little sleeper sofa thing, which was really nice, but in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? As long as we have a place to crash, we'll be happy!

We had a room with one upper, one single pull out sofa bed, and a queen made from two lowers pushed together. Between DD, DS, and my self we ended up playing "Musical" beds, each taking a turn in the different beds. DH slept in the queen every night.

If you have a room with a pull out bed and you are really concerned about her flailing too much in the upper, then that might be an option. It is very had to navigate the room when the sofa bed is pulled out. There is a rail on the upper, and even with our ship rocking I wasn't too concerend about the kids falling out. They struggled more with the ricketly latter climbing up and down.

The uppers are rated for up to 200 lbs, so Mom and Dad taking turns in the upper might be an option.

I think you'll have fun and a great time no matter what you dicide.

We just returned from a holiday cruise in an outside cabin on Continental Deck on the Century (in other words, the cheapest outside cabin we could get). Our 16 (almost 17) year old son traveled with us, and although he made a pitch for a cabin of his own, he slept in the bunk without any problem. We had a double bed (with the foot facing the door) and his bunk was over my DH's side of the bed. The upper berth was only opened at night when the room was prepared while we were at dinner. The ladder, which has about 5 or 6 steps, rested against the bottom of the bed, but there was room for us to get in and out without any problem.

There are rails on the bed and even when we cruised when he was little and a very wild sleeper, we never had a problem. Now he's a little large for the bed, but it still served its purpose. By having an upper berth instead of a pull-out couch, you have lots more floor space in the cabin.

I was on the Horizon which is Zenith's twin. We were in a cabin with 1 permanant double bed and one upper berth. In that one the upper berth ran so that it was over the foot of the double bed. It did have a slight rail, but if you fell off you would land on the double bed below. It was not a problem and the bed was comfortable.

Thanks for the picture, Mahdnc. Nothing cuter than sleeping kids! The last time I was in a room with upper berths was when I cruised with my family as a teen. I just don't remember them as being that spacious.

I am just a mega paranoid parent about bunk beds - probably because my daughter has done really strange things on a regular bed and gotten hurt (even with rails). I think I will take the top bunk just to be safe - or maybe I can bring a net and totally enclose her -ha ha.

Thanks for the picture, Mahdnc. Nothing cuter than sleeping kids! The last time I was in a room with upper berths was when I cruised with my family as a teen. I just don't remember them as being that spacious.

The picture is of a FO cabin which is bigger than a standard cabin. I tried to find a picture taken of the bunks folded out in a normal sized cabin for you but was unsuccessful.......

Have fun on your cruise.

We just returned from a holiday cruise in an outside cabin on Continental Deck on the Century (in other words, the cheapest outside cabin we could get). Our 16 (almost 17) year old son traveled with us, and although he made a pitch for a cabin of his own, he slept in the bunk without any problem. We had a double bed (with the foot facing the door) and his bunk was over my DH's side of the bed. The upper berth was only opened at night when the room was prepared while we were at dinner. The ladder, which has about 5 or 6 steps, rested against the bottom of the bed, but there was room for us to get in and out without any problem.

There are rails on the bed and even when we cruised when he was little and a very wild sleeper, we never had a problem. Now he's a little large for the bed, but it still served its purpose. By having an upper berth instead of a pull-out couch, you have lots more floor space in the cabin.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to the OP.

We've just booked our second Celebrity cruise - the 6/3 to Bermuda on Zenith, and the 4 of us will be in one room (we had a family cabin on Summit to Alaska last year). Just like the OP, I've been wondering how the berths would work and if they would be roomy enough for DS age 14, and DD age 11. Looks like they will work out just fine.

Archived