Mykonos - tentative plan with questions

alpineapa

hi everyone,

We will be in Mykonos on May 31st from 7am to 7pm (Celebrity Edge).

1) I was thinking we would do some walking around/shopping in the am

Q - what is the best area for this

2) We would grab lunch at little Italy

Q - any recommendations

3) we would spend a couple of hours at the beach in the afternoon

Q - Would Platys Gialos Beach be a good option?

Q- easy to get taxis back and fourth or should I plan ahead?

Another option is we could grab lunch near the beach (any good options) and grab end of day drinks appertizers in little venice?

thanks in advance for the comments/feedback.

In a similar fashion we wandered around town for a while in the AM.  No best spot as the area itself is quite small so you just keep turning a corner onto the next little street.   Then we went to the beach at Platys Gialos.  Easiest and least expensive way was to take the local bus and ride with the locals.  One reason we picked PG was that of the well recognized beaches it is about the closest to town so shorter bus ride.  It is also a little less of a "party" style beach and we were just looking for a place to lounge by the beach and put our feet into the Med for an afternoon.  We selected one of the beachfront hotels which had dozens of loungers with umbrellas, there were multiple choices.  Paid something like 7 Euro for the lounger which got us ice water as well.  Then just ordered some nibbles off the regular menu.   One reason for the bus is that people on CC said taxis were few and far between and that the bus was a snap.  Just check out the return times from the beach as you head out.

Thanks for the great information!

We are "tendering", is little venice a short walking distance from that area, i.e. let's say we do some shopping around for an hour and then head to little venice for a beverage and lunch.....in terms of bus, would it be easy to catch one from little venice to platys gialos and then back to tender area? Where would I find bus schedule and stops?

Thanks again for the help! :)

On 4/26/2019 at 9:13 AM, alpineapa said:

Thanks for the great information!

We are "tendering", is little venice a short walking distance from that area, i.e. let's say we do some shopping around for an hour and then head to little venice for a beverage and lunch.....in terms of bus, would it be easy to catch one from little venice to platys gialos and then back to tender area? Where would I find bus schedule and stops?

Thanks again for the help! 

how long do you plan to spend at the beach?

Ok. I just was in mykonos a few weeks ago so the water wasn't warm enough for swimming. You will love mykonos. The town is fun to explore. There are so many walkways. It truly is a maze. 

We ate at a restaurant facing the water that had good chicken gyro souvlaki etc

It is lined up with the other restaurants along the waterfront. The restaurant is called the music port. 

Thanks. We are still not sure best way to get around, ie is a taxi that difficult to find?

what is less hastle re relying on bus schedules or renting a car and is renting a car easy for parking/driving around?

3 hours ago, alpineapa said:

Thanks. We are still not sure best way to get around, ie is a taxi that difficult to find?

what is less hastle re relying on bus schedules or renting a car and is renting a car easy for parking/driving around?

Our cruise told us there are only around 20 taxis or so on the island I think. Sorry cant help with regard to renting a car. Does your cruise offer any excursion to a beach? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2019 at 2:57 PM, wheezedr said:

In a similar fashion we wandered around town for a while in the AM.  No best spot as the area itself is quite small so you just keep turning a corner onto the next little street.   Then we went to the beach at Platys Gialos.  Easiest and least expensive way was to take the local bus and ride with the locals.  One reason we picked PG was that of the well recognized beaches it is about the closest to town so shorter bus ride.  It is also a little less of a "party" style beach and we were just looking for a place to lounge by the beach and put our feet into the Med for an afternoon.  We selected one of the beachfront hotels which had dozens of loungers with umbrellas, there were multiple choices.  Paid something like 7 Euro for the lounger which got us ice water as well.  Then just ordered some nibbles off the regular menu.   One reason for the bus is that people on CC said taxis were few and far between and that the bus was a snap.  Just check out the return times from the beach as you head out.

What bus station did you leave from ? Fabrika ?