Harbor House info, please...

firstcruiserDB

We'll be staying at the Harbor House for one evening after our June cruise. We have reservations, but I have a question or two for anyone that's stayed there. Thanks, in advance, for your help!

1. Do you recommend walking from the ship to the hotel? I know it's close, but won't it be difficult with luggage? How about transportation?

2. We will not have a car. What's within walking distance? We'd like to have a nice dinner and see some of Galveston.

Thanks, again, for any and all ideas! :)

We haven't been there since 1/03, but it is very close to the pier. That said, we couldn't walk because we are serious overpackers and took the hotel limo to the pier.

We didn't rent a car on that trip. We used Galveston Limo to and from Hobby. There are several restaurants within walking distance of the Harbor House. We ate at Joe's Crab Shack and Fuddruckers. There were several seafood restaurants too. If you don't have a car, you can walk up to the Strand and look around in their gift shops. We had a nice breakfast on the morning of the cruise at a local restaurant called The Phoenix. It was a very quaint little restaurant.

When we were there, it was really cold, so be sure to take a jacket.

Request a corner room at the Harbor House, overlooking the pier. We had the second floor corner room with a marvelous view.

We have 2 rolling suitcases and 2 carry ons so we always walk. Very easy and so much faster than waiting for a cab. When you are there the trolley will be running so you can take that from the Strand to the seawall. There are several places to eat close to the pier.

We stayed at the Harbor House pre cruise and loved it. The rooms are large and clean. The hotel is immediately at the port. If you walk you avoid all of the waiting in traffic. We have cruised out of many ports, but the traffic into that port is one way in....one way out, with a poorly designed traffic flow. We drove to the port and dropped of luggage and some passengers (there were 8 of us total), but when we disembarked we had the porter take our luggage on his cart to the edge of the pavement. We simply crossed the street and we were at the hotel. There is a great somewhat upscale restaurant called Willie "G"s that we ate at. Mostly seafood and steak. There's a Starbucks nearby and some shops (Pier 1, etc). You can also walk down to the Historic Strand.

Have fun.

We stayed at the Harbor House on December 23rd of 2005. It was an easy walk with rolling suitcases to the ship. The rooms are large and clean. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning. Nothing fancy, but coffee and bagels are good.:p

We walked to Fuddruckers and Starbucks.

The lobby is very small -- just an area to check in. But you can't beat the location.

Judi

I was at Harbor House in July. Though I had a car (went to Johnson Space center), both evenings I left the car in the parking lot and walked the neighborhood. Good restaurants right next to HH. Lots of place within close walking distance to shop & bars and entertainment. to give you anIdea of distances, Here's a link to my gallery. the first photo is from the my hotel room window to the terminal and the second is from the ship to the hotel. On either side of the Elyssa there are good restaurants.

http://www.ronrythm.com/Elation_05.html

Enjoy

Ron

When we were there you could leave your car all week for $20-$25 which was great. You didn't have to have the traffic at the luggage check-in point. The parking lot at HH is gated with a security code. When we returned from the cruise we just walked back to the hotel. If their prices have gone up you might check http://www.ezparking.com. They were just $35 for the week and provided transportation to and from the port at no cost.

Archived