Old Lahaina Luau

9cruisessofar

Kahului where the POAM docks is on the other side of the Island from Lahaina. I seem to remember its about 25 miles or a 45 minute drive. It's possible the ship may have shuttles to/from Lahaina or include OLL as an excursion. Personally I'd recommend renting a car. Driving on Maui is fairly easy and you'll be able to see and do a lot more. A cab would be awfully expensive, probably more than renting a car for two days.

We plan on going to the Old Lahaina Luau when we cruise to Maui next month. How far is this place from where the ship (POAM) docks and how do you get there? Cab? Bus? Walking distance?

We will be on the prde of aloha, feb 25- mar 5 (or something like that) and mar 3, 4 we will be in Maui. We booked the OLL for Mar 3, and had a hard time getting that reservation, we had to be put on a Cancellation list. Lahaina is about 35-45 minutes from where port in Kawahili (sp). You may dock in Lahaina tho, u have to check ur itinerary.

We rented a car thru thrifty, and will be driving ourselves there.

Minor correction: All ships tender at Lahaina. Just wanted to mention that because tender time needs to be taken into account.

If you are tendered in Lahaina, you can easily take a cab to OLL. You could walk it during the day time, but I wouldn't at night. It's not a particularly scenic walk, but it's not the worst in the world. I'm going to say it's about 1-1/2 miles from the tender pier. I've heard that at least part of the shuttle services from Lahaina to Ka'anapali will be stopped soon. I don't know if that's the case. If not, then you can pick up the shuttle at the Wharf Cinema center (right across Front St. from the harbor) and take it to Lahaina Cannery Mall, which is basically across the street from OLL. Otherwise, you'll probably want to take a cab.

If you are docked in Kahului, then your choices are to rent a car (our preference as it gives you freedom), use whatever shuttles the cruise line provides (such as the "Lahaina on your own" excursion), book a ship excursion specifically for OLL, or take a cab ($$$--big ouch).

As far as I know, PoAm almost always docks at Kahului overnight. I do recall though that there are a few specific dates that do a day tendered at Lahaina. Make sure you check to see which applies to your cruise.

Enjoy.

beachchick

OLL often fills up ahead of time from what I've read, so I hope you have your reservations in already.

PoAm does dock in Kahului and it is about a 45 minute drive to Lahaina. My suggestion would be to rent a car for the day.

You could try to do things like Maui ocean center (easy to find), maybe the Iao needle, shopping, or swimming/snorkeling on one of the beaches on your own that day.

Get an idea of what you want to do and map it out ahead of time.

We went to Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali two weeks ago when we were on PoAm. It's just a little farther than Lahaina. It was nice, but my guess is that OLL is more authentic based on what I've read. We had a limo rented for the day, but that's a very expensive option.

Archived