MOntego Bay Tours

SingleCruiserTagAlong

:confused: I keep reading about all these wonderful tour guides, from Phil Taylor, Phil Lafayette, to Mark something or other, but I can't seem to find any that start in Montego. This is where my cruise ship will be docked. Any help out there with recommendations? I am traveling with 3 adults, one teen, and a 10 year old. We'd love to do the falls, but are afraid we won't get there, experience the climb, do some shopping, maybe hit a beach and get back in time for disembarkment. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dunns River Falls are about 2 hours from the dock in Montego Bay. You can do YS Falls (still about 1 12 hours) instead. Check my Barrett Adventures post further on down for details. Barrett picked us up in Montego Bay inside the dock area and never left our side. I would highly recommend them. They will tailor your day to whatever you would like. We did YS Falls with several other CC members and a cruise up the Black River. Had a great day. In fact, we all agree that YS Falls was a highlight of our trip. You can swim, tube and there is a rope swing. No climbing. Chester was our guide. We were orginally booked with Peat Taylor when we were going to Ocho Rios and changed to Barrett when our port changed. Did not want to take the chance of anything going wrong and being so far away from the ship so opted for a closer tour. Good luck and have a great trip.

I wouldn't recommend going to Dunn's River Falls (even though it is FANTASTIC) The bus ride is about 2 1/2 hours long. We had to take the drive in June when we flew into Montego Bay and were staying at Sandals in Ocho Rios. You lose most of the day on the bus ride of at least 5 hours.

On the boards a Mayfield Falls is mentioned as being in the Montego Bay area.

I think most of the guides will meet you out in Montego Bay. We were booked with Trevor Hudlin for our March cruise for Ocho Rios and Princess changed the itinerary. Emailed Trevor and we've made other plans with him for the day with pick-up in Montego Bay.

singlecruisertagalong,

I agree with the above poster, and highly recommend Carolyn with Barrett adventures. (http://www.barrettadventures.com) we just returned from our 4th visit with her and had a wonderful time!! we went to YS Falls, ate lunch at a place on the black river and then went to the Rockland bird sancutary, where we fed the hummingbirds by hand. I will be posting pics at smugmug.com in the next day or two, and will post here when I do, so you can see them.

We have used Belinda and her guides from a-zjamaicaplanners.com at both Montego Bay and Ochio Rios. She will help you design your day stay in Jamaica and experience what you would like in the time allowed for a very reasonable amount and in safety and comfort. She is designing something new for us for our next visit, since we have been to this country numerous times.

Bon Voyage

singlecruisertagalong,

I agree with the above poster, and highly recommend Carolyn with Barrett adventures. (http://www.barrettadventures.com) we just returned from our 4th visit with her and had a wonderful time!! we went to YS Falls, ate lunch at a place on the black river and then went to the Rockland bird sancutary, where we fed the hummingbirds by hand. I will be posting pics at smugmug.com in the next day or two, and will post here when I do, so you can see them.

feeding the hummingbirds sounds real cool. Please post the pictures and more details.

Glen

Can you do the zipline thing when the ship docks in MoBay? I don't want to blow the whole day just getting there and back. I figured since it was offered in the excursion list that it would be close, but I see that DR Falls is listed also...would be a bummer to spend a day in paradise on a bus!

Tracy

Can you do the zipline thing when the ship docks in MoBay? I don't want to blow the whole day just getting there and back. I figured since it was offered in the excursion list that it would be close, but I see that DR Falls is listed also...would be a bummer to spend a day in paradise on a bus!

Tracy

My husband did the zipline in MoBay and his group left at 8 and returned around noon. It is at the same place that does the river tubing. He really enjoyed it

My husband did the zipline in MoBay and his group left at 8 and returned around noon. It is at the same place that does the river tubing. He really enjoyed it

Awesome, thanks! Perfect timing to get a liquid lunch at Margaritaville! :)

Tracy

We just came back from Jamacia and we used A-Z planners. I would highly recommend them. We had Clive as our driver and we went to Mayfield falls which is about 45 minutes from Mobay. It was up in the mountains and very scenic. It was not crowded at all there. He stayed there the whole time while we played in the water. Then we went downtown to do some shopping and he looked out for us there. Then it was time to feed the bellys and we went to The pork Pit. Awsome food and cheap too. Then it was time for the liquid diet and he took us to Margaritaville and we stayed for a couple of drinks and the gift shop and off we were to the ship. Got there in plenty of time. He was very aware of the timeline we had the whole time. Have a lot of tours to chose from or they will make one for you. Kept in close contact the whole time up to the day of our tour.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. We climbed the Mayfield Falls. I have done Dunn's River in the past, but this was a much easier climb. We had a group of about 12 and had a great time laughing and cutting up. I am a water person, so this was great for me. Trevor was wonderful, he told stories shared lots of info on the wonderful island and even taught us a song. He stopped twice to buy things for us (bananas and sugar cane). We had lunch at the Pork Pit, it was also very good. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

here is a link to some of the pictures. They are about half way through, Grand Cayman is at the beginning.

http://community.webshots.com/user/astrosfan1

Thanks old medic and astros fan!

I have enjoyed reading your posts on Mo Bay.

We are considering a cruise on the Conquest next January. My husband and I will be traveling with our 5 kids (ages 12 to 3), my sister, her 2 teenagers and my 78 year old mom. Do you feel Mayfield Falls or YS Falls would be safe for the kids?? (Mom would stay back with our 3yo)

DH and I just returned from our first cruise! Loved it-Grand Princess last week...I think I'm addicted! The highlight of our trip was cave tubing in Belize!

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have on the Conquest or MoBay.

Thanks

Archived