Shareholder OBC

smd247

On 5/5/2019 at 6:42 PM, Haboob said:

AIUI, the issue is a legal opinion about liability under Dodd-Frank(?) if folks do not mask their brokerage account

number effectively enough in an scanned email attachment.  Probably an over-cautious opinion, but once given

Princess is stuck with it.

I doubt that Princess would have liability under Dodd-Frank. They are not a Financial Institution required to protect their customer's data. Similar to HIPAA laws applying to medical providers, but not anyone else who is given the information voluntarily by the customer.

Princess is giving advice to the customer (black out the account information), but if the customer doesn't, it is not Princess's problem (unless Princess is grossly negligent with the information - like publishing it on the internet). 

49 minutes ago, richmke said:

I doubt that Princess would have liability under Dodd-Frank. They are not a Financial Institution required to protect their customer's data. Similar to HIPAA laws applying to medical providers, but not anyone else who is given the information voluntarily by the customer.

Princess is giving advice to the customer (black out the account information), but if the customer doesn't, it is not Princess's problem (unless Princess is grossly negligent with the information - like publishing it on the internet). 

IANAL, so taking a SWAG here:    ...or "allowing" their email server to be hacked?  ::shrugs::

On 5/5/2019 at 8:17 PM, damiross said:

I was under the impression it had to be sent in closer to the cruise date.  I've always done it about a 3-4 weeks ahead.  Wonder if I can send it in now for my Christmas cruise.

I sent mine off this morning via Faxzero for our two cruises next January.  Within an hour it was posted on our account. 

8 hours ago, Haboob said:

IANAL, so taking a SWAG here:    ...or "allowing" their email server to be hacked?  ::shrugs::

Another reason to request a passenger leave out the account number in the event of someone hacking their system. But, that liability is not under Dodd-Frank (as you propose) since Princess is not a Financial Institution.

FYI: Princess does have liability regarding your credit card number, but that is a separate issue required of all businesses, not just Financial Institutions.