Kennels...and vegans...

Zoeeeeeeeeee

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions, so figured I’d cover them both on this thread.

I’m taking the QM2 with my fiancé and my dog (we’re emigrating) in November this year, from Southampton to New York.

I’d love to hear from anyone that’s used the kennels or seen the space allocated, as to how you found it. Was there room to walk your dog/play with them? How were the kennel masters? Were the dogs generally out of their crates? And anything else you can tell me would be great!

And secondly, has anyone vegan travelled on the QM2? If so, how did you find it/what kind of meal/food options did you have? Am I going to spend my days watching my non-vegan fiancé eating amazing cakes, whilst I eat an apple?

Thanks in advance.

Zoe

Hi Zoe,   I have taken my dogs on the QM2 a total of ten times.  The kennels ...in my humble opinion ...are excellent.  First of all the Kennel Masters are excellent.  I have had Kennel Master Oliver each time and I can not speak more highly of him.  There is also a second Kennel Master now. They take such good care of the dogs.  There is plenty of space to exercise and play with your dogs.  There are lots of visiting hours throughout the day. 

Here is a great video (in French).  At the 16 minute mark there is a tour of the kennels(small disclaimer:  my little dogs are in it!)

https://youtu.be/kTnihBslQZQ

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tag1000 said:

Hi Zoe,   I have taken my dogs on the QM2 a total of ten times.  The kennels ...in my humble opinion ...are excellent.  First of all the Kennel Masters are excellent.  I have had Kennel Master Oliver each time and I can not speak more highly of him.  There is also a second Kennel Master now. They take such good care of the dogs.  There is plenty of space to exercise and play with your dogs.  There are lots of visiting hours throughout the day. 

Here is a great video (in French).  At the 16 minute mark there is a tour of the kennels(small disclaimer:  my little dogs are in it!)

https://youtu.be/kTnihBslQZQ

Thanks very much, that’s great to hear/see. Are the two little guys eating chicken yours?!

I’ve looked at the visiting hours and intend to be there at all times I’m allowed to be - I want to tire him out as much as possible, so he settles at night. I worry, as he hates being crated and is used to sleeping near me...

Do people normally walk their dogs on lead in the exercise area or is ok to let them off lead? My boy will be nearly 15 when we travel in November - but he’s super active (walks/runs 3-5 miles a day) and very sociable, so letting him have a canter off lead would be a great way to help me tire him out!

7 hours ago, cruiseluvva said:

Your vegan diet will be well catered for, including cakes: just be sure to inform Cunard well in advance. You will also need to order the night before for the following day.

That’s great, thank you very much - last time I cruised I was vegetarian (5 years ago), so had loads of options. Often flying is very difficult (many a time, my meal has consisted of a bread roll, two pieces of tomato and a slice of lettuce...and I generally can’t eat the snacks either) - I can manage eating poorly on an 11 hour flight, but would go up the wall on a 7 day cruise!

• Like 1

Hi!  Those little guys eating the chicken are mine (the gluttons)!

You do not need to walk your dog on a lead(you can if you want to).   They have the whole side and back deck to run around.  The back part is great for running up and down with your dog.   The nice thing is that all the excitement tends to make the dogs tired and by 8:30 pm they are ready for bed!   I have always noticed that for the first two days all the dogs are pretty excited as they get used to the new routine but after a while become super "chill" and relaxed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tag1000 said:

Hi!  Those little guys eating the chicken are mine (the gluttons)!

You do not need to walk your dog on a lead(you can if you want to).   They have the whole side and back deck to run around.  The back part is great for running up and down with your dog.   The nice thing is that all the excitement tends to make the dogs tired and by 8:30 pm they are ready for bed!   I have always noticed that for the first two days all the dogs are pretty excited as they get used to the new routine but after a while become super "chill" and relaxed.

Thanks so much for your advice - your dogs look like they had a great time (they’re adorable!).

Can I ask what you took with you for your dogs for the journey?

Here’s the list I have to take so far - am I missing anything?

• Medicines (a few different tablets taken daily)

• Valerian compound / Skullcap and Valerian tablets - herbal remedies that are recommended for travelling (I’m planning on giving these the first couple of days - they’re completely safe and natural - my dog had them when flying a couple of years ago and they just helped him stay calm and relaxed)

• Blankets that smell of home/him (I read that Cunard provide beds in the kennels - is this correct? So thought I’d just bring some blankets for familiarity).

• Jumper and coat - he’s old, so gets cold and we’re cruising in November 

• Collar and lead

• Car harness and hammock, for when we arrive in NY

Thank you!

Here is some information you might want to review before bringing your dog into the US. The UK is still classed as rabies free by the USA government and the rules for importation of dogs and cats are governed by the Centre for Disease Control. ... It is highly recommended to have your dog or cat vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before they enter the USA and have a microchip to identify them. Check with the US Embassy for any additional requirements. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Here is some information you might want to review before bringing your dog into the US. The UK is still classed as rabies free by the USA government and the rules for importation of dogs and cats are governed by the Centre for Disease Control. ... It is highly recommended to have your dog or cat vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before they enter the USA and have a microchip to identify them. Check with the US Embassy for any additional requirements. 

Hi Mike,

I’ve brought my dog with me before to the US (we flew in 2017, when I was there for six months), so he has a pet passport and all the relevant jabs, including rabies - he’ll also be having all necessary boosters before we travel 🙃.

Thanks for flagging! 👍🏻